Re: [Julian-May-discuss] New members

  • Werner Peeters
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 1, 2001
      On Thu, 1 Mar 2001, Leticia Anderson wrote:

      > Just a quick welcome note to new members - there were four or five new
      > join ups last nite. Please feel free to jump in and introduce yourself
      > or lurk until comfortable!
      > Also, just to let everyone know Amanda has unsubscribed.....*cry*
      >
      > Oh well, lets just see what else happens!

      Okay, I'll jump in.
      I'm Werner Peeters, I'm 29 and I'm from Belgium. My first encounter with
      Julian May books was during a trip to Russia in the late '80's, where
      these books with their attractable covers (you know, the snake, the skull
      etc.) were on display in one of the tourist shops. Unfortunately, they
      were to be paid in Western valuta only, making their price outrageously
      high. When I returned to Belgium, the first thing I did was to visit my
      local library, and they even turned out to have a translation in Dutch.
      After reading them (being a slow but thourough reader the books took me a
      week each, which is in my standard pretty high), I took the first sale
      opportunitiy to buy the whole series, and I've been buying all newer works
      since.
      Julian May was also for me the gateway to a bunch of other authors in
      whose work I've become interested, just because their books are edited by
      the same publisher, or at least are on display next to each other in most
      stores. Some names: Zelazny, Martin, Jordan, Kay, Bradley... I really
      cannot recall them all.

      About bringing the works of Mrs. Majewski to the big screen: would the
      British actor John Thaw (a.k.a. Inspector Morse) not be the perfect
      Rogatien? Just wondering... I also would pick Matt Damon as a younger
      Marc.

      --
      dr Werner Peeters - RUCA Dept. of Mathematics Off # U529 |M _/\/\/_ S
      Groenenborgerlaan 171, B-2020 Antwerp, Belgium |A \,>o(,,/_ I
      |E / |/ O
      "If you spam me, you agree to pay me $10000" | "Suck suck" N
    • Unifex
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 1, 2001
        On Thu, 1 Mar 2001 11:10:07 +0100 (MET), Werner Peeters wrote:

        > About bringing the works of Mrs. Majewski to the big screen: would the
        > British actor John Thaw (a.k.a. Inspector Morse) not be the perfect
        > Rogatien? Just wondering... I also would pick Matt Damon as a younger
        > Marc.

        Leda also mentioned Ian Holm had been a past suggestion for Rogatien, but
        I think Holm and Thaw are both too old. Rogi, once matured, stopped aging
        when he became middle aged - I can't remember the exact age but I'm sure
        May mentioned mid-40s. Holm and Thaw are both 60+ years old.. Another
        thing mentioned was his height, he's quite tall - near 6ft I think. Just
        a couple of factors I thought were worth mentioning..

        Unifex
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 1, 2001
          > Okay, I'll jump in.
          > I'm Werner Peeters, I'm 29 and I'm from Belgium. My
          > first encounter with
          > Julian May books was during a trip to Russia in the
          > late '80's, where
          > these books with their attractable covers (you know,
          > the snake, the skull
          > etc.) were on display in one of the tourist shops.

          Hey Werner good to have you on board....we all love
          the Russian cover art which Elena so generously
          scanned in! She is living in Russia at present and has
          the distinction of having read the sagas in both
          English and Russian while Senda has read them in
          English and Spanish...anyone else read the sagas in
          more than one language? We have had a few discussions
          on translation which were interesting.

          I've been
          > buying all newer works
          > since.

          Have you read the Orion arm trilogy and the trillium
          series/ What did you think?

          > Julian May was also for me the gateway to a bunch of
          > other authors in
          > whose work I've become interested, just because
          > their books are edited by
          > the same publisher, or at least are on display next
          > to each other in most
          > stores. Some names: Zelazny, Martin, Jordan, Kay,
          > Bradley... I really
          > cannot recall them all.

          Julian May has been the gateway to so many things for
          me. I remember reading her when I was young just going
          'Where do I go to meet people who have read things
          like this or think like this?'. A couple of years
          later I thought it was uni but I don;t think I was
          entirely correct in that assumption *g*!
          As for other sci-fi I started on Julian May through
          MZB, I'd seen her name as a co-writer with Bradley on
          the Trillium series. Although I am still a devoted MZB
          fan I still think I feel that May surpasses her and
          most other authors!!

          > About bringing the works of Mrs. Majewski

          Nice work, you've obviously done your homework LOL
          to the big
          > screen: would the
          > British actor John Thaw (a.k.a. Inspector Morse) not
          > be the perfect
          > Rogatien? Just wondering... I also would pick Matt
          > Damon as a younger
          > Marc.

          Ha ha have you seen Kevin Smith's film 'Dogma'? Matt
          Damon plays a fallen archangel called Loki, who finds
          a loophole in catechism which allows him to slip back
          unannounced into heaven (with the unfortunate side
          effect of mass carnage). There is a great scene set in
          a car park where Matt Damon and Ben Affleck have a
          major altercation, and Ben ends up turning on Matt
          saying 'I've heard that rant before!' Matt looks all
          innocent but Ben continues 'I've heard that rant
          before! The Star of Morning -' and the absolutely evil
          turn that Matt takes is very Marc, The Angel of the
          Abyss-like.
          Nevertheless I don;t know about Matt as Marc even if
          he does do a convincing evil Angel? He doesn't really
          have the physique ha ha

          http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 1, 2001
            > Leda also mentioned Ian Holm had been a past
            > suggestion for Rogatien, but
            > I think Holm and Thaw are both too old.
            > Unifex

            Yes the description would go something like 'scruffy
            middle aged beanpole with visible signs of long term
            alcohol abuse'.
            I must admit it is a hard role to fill. I think
            Inspector Morse's eyes would be too piercing coercor
            blue for Rogi too!
            Anyone got any other suggestions. For some reason
            Bryan Brown is springing to mind which is extremely
            scary!

            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 2, 2001
              On Thu, 1 Mar 2001, Leticia Anderson wrote:
              > Hey Werner good to have you on board....we all love
              > the Russian cover art which Elena so generously
              > scanned in!

              Hi Leticia,

              I think the book I saw back then was an English translation though. It's a
              little bit long ago, but I looked through the covers section on the Yahoo
              page and they were not among them. So there exists at least one more set
              of covers for the Exiles series.

              > She is living in Russia at present and has
              > the distinction of having read the sagas in both
              > English and Russian while Senda has read them in
              > English and Spanish...anyone else read the sagas in
              > more than one language? We have had a few discussions
              > on translation which were interesting.

              I read the books in Dutch and my nephew read them (the Milieu trilogy at
              least) in English. I had the occasion to browse through his copy, and I
              didn't notice any substantial differences; the only remarkable thing is
              that this F.U.R.Y acronym (I think somewhere at the end of Jack) was
              untranslated in the Dutch copy, since it's appartently untranslatable :-)

              > Have you read the Orion arm trilogy and the trillium
              > series/ What did you think?

              The third part of the Orion arm triliogy has not been issued here yet; I
              liked the two first books though, but since there was quite some time
              between me reading the first and the second one, I had troubles getting
              into the story again. I think I'll re-read them, but I'm waiting for #3,
              because I'm not going to re-re-read them!

              As for the trillium series, I have all five books (the original and the
              four sequels, two of which by May). I thought Blood Trillium was pretty
              neat, a great sequel to the original. May is at her best when she creates
              a world of rivalling factions, and I think the book has added to the
              credibility of the series, unlike the Norton sequel, which is highly
              contradictive to May's work. Sky Trillium was a bit of a disappointment
              though, I really hoped for a great finale instead of Orogastus' remorse.

              > Julian May has been the gateway to so many things for
              > me. I remember reading her when I was young just going
              > 'Where do I go to meet people who have read things
              > like this or think like this?'. A couple of years
              > later I thought it was uni but I don;t think I was
              > entirely correct in that assumption *g*!
              > As for other sci-fi I started on Julian May through
              > MZB, I'd seen her name as a co-writer with Bradley on
              > the Trillium series. Although I am still a devoted MZB
              > fan I still think I feel that May surpasses her and
              > most other authors!!

              I think that only Jordan, Martin and Kay are playing in the same league. I
              mean, one book is better than the others, and I really can't make a
              ranking. I like for instance Jordan's Fires of Heaven above, say,
              Magnificat, but on the other hand a book like Intervention beats any
              Jordan novel without competition. I'm just attracted to books which have a
              map with a non-existing country in one of the front pages (the first
              fantasy I read was, of course, Tolkien), but what kindled my interest in
              May's work in the first place was that the map was the pliocene Europe.

              > > About bringing the works of Mrs. Majewski
              > Nice work, you've obviously done your homework LOL

              Thank you

              > Ha ha have you seen Kevin Smith's film 'Dogma'? Matt
              > Damon plays a fallen archangel called Loki, who finds
              > a loophole in catechism which allows him to slip back
              > unannounced into heaven (with the unfortunate side
              > effect of mass carnage). There is a great scene set in
              > a car park where Matt Damon and Ben Affleck have a
              > major altercation, and Ben ends up turning on Matt
              > saying 'I've heard that rant before!' Matt looks all
              > innocent but Ben continues 'I've heard that rant
              > before! The Star of Morning -' and the absolutely evil
              > turn that Matt takes is very Marc, The Angel of the
              > Abyss-like.
              > Nevertheless I don;t know about Matt as Marc even if
              > he does do a convincing evil Angel? He doesn't really
              > have the physique ha ha

              I was more thinking of his destructive genius- style like in, say, The
              Talented Mr Ripley or Good Will Hunting... but I can picture him being
              Marc, no problem. About John Thaw being too old, I always imagined
              Rogatien being of about his age. I know his genes stopped aging at a
              certain moment, but I remember him stating something like that the process
              started later with him than for instance with Denis, and him being the
              oldest surviving member of the family would require an experienced and not
              too young actor.

              Whom would you cast as Felice?

              --
              dr Werner Peeters - RUCA Dept. of Mathematics Off # U529 |M _/\/\/_ S
              Groenenborgerlaan 171, B-2020 Antwerp, Belgium |A \,>o(,,/_ I
              Phone: +32 3 218 03 75 - Fax: +32 3 218 02 04 |G \(o)(o) /_ M
              E-mail: wpeeters@... |G /c @_/ P
              Homepage: http://math.ruca.ua.ac.be/~wpeeters |I C_, )/ S
              |E / |/ O
              "If you spam me, you agree to pay me $10000" | "Suck suck" N
            • Avalon Myst
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 2, 2001
                --- Leticia Anderson <leda_au@...> wrote: >

                > Yes the description would go something like
                > 'scruffy
                > middle aged beanpole with visible signs of long
                > term
                > alcohol abuse'.
                > I must admit it is a hard role to fill. I think
                > Inspector Morse's eyes would be too piercing
                > coercor
                > blue for Rogi too!
                > Anyone got any other suggestions. For some
                > reason
                > Bryan Brown is springing to mind which is
                > extremely
                > scary!

                Hmmm - get rid of the accent and it could be a
                possibility (eeek!)

                Avalon

                http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 4, 2001
                  --- In Julian-May-discuss@y..., Werner Peeters <wpeeters@r...> wrote:
                  > I think the book I saw back then was an English translation though.
                  It's a
                  > little bit long ago, but I looked through the covers section on the
                  Yahoo
                  > page and they were not among them. So there exists at least one more
                  set
                  > of covers for the Exiles series.

                  Another challenge out there....were the Dutch covers there the ones
                  you have?

                  > that this F.U.R.Y acronym (I think somewhere at the end of Jack) was
                  > untranslated in the Dutch copy, since it's appartently
                  untranslatable :-)

                  Acronym?

                  > dr Werner Peeters - RUCA Dept. of Mathematics Off # U529

                  Dr of mathematics? Do you have any insights into concepts like dynamic
                  field physics or any other 'mathematical' concepts? I know Ms May has
                  said she is just waiting for someone out there to go and prove her
                  concepts, or at least explain them techinally, she herself being dumb
                  and blind to maths and physics apparent
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 4, 2001
                    > > Bryan Brown is springing to mind which is
                    > > extremely
                    > > scary!

                    > Hmmm - get rid of the accent and it could be a
                    > possibility (eeek!)
                    >
                    > Avalon

                    Somehow I still doubt that it could ever be but hey he does fit the
                    physical description and larrikin profile!

                    Led
                  • Werner Peeters
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 5, 2001
                      On Mon, 5 Mar 2001, Leticia Anderson wrote:
                      > Another challenge out there....were the Dutch covers there the ones
                      > you have?

                      I have the Dutch covers, yet. I remember seeing the covers I originally
                      meant some time ago in a English import book store in Antwerp, but they
                      were a little expensive, considering I have all of them already in
                      translation. But when I see them again I shall write down the ISBN number
                      and the publisher.

                      > > that this F.U.R.Y acronym (I think somewhere at the end of Jack) was
                      > > untranslated in the Dutch copy, since it's appartently
                      > untranslatable :-)
                      >
                      > Acronym?

                      Yes, there was some scene (don't ask me where exactly) when the
                      authorities are looking for Fury, and stumble in their investigations upon
                      some bogus company of which the name starts with F, U, R and Y...

                      > Dr of mathematics? Do you have any insights into concepts like dynamic
                      > field physics or any other 'mathematical' concepts? I know Ms May has
                      > said she is just waiting for someone out there to go and prove her
                      > concepts, or at least explain them techinally, she herself being dumb
                      > and blind to maths and physics apparent

                      I'm more of a researcher in things like fuzzy control and general
                      topology, but I've had my share of dynamical systems theory in my courses.
                      Regrettably, I must inform you that no evidence whatsoever substantiates
                      Mrs. Mays theories (although they are remarkably coherent for a SF novel).
                      I think they shall remain a fantasy for the next few hundred years. Of
                      course you never know, but there is pretty hard evidence against phenomena
                      such as time traveling and psychokinetics. In the mind of serious
                      scientists spottings of paranormal phenomena are often met with great
                      skepticism, and there are even scientific groups here in Belgium who have
                      offered a big cash reward to anyone who could prove the existence of such
                      phenomena to them. Needless to say, they haven't had to pay anything yet.

                      It still remains great reading material though, and the escapism is what
                      draws scientists towards these books. I know of at least one colleage
                      having read the Exiles and Milieu books, and a former colleague who
                      moreover read the Trillium series.

                      dr Werner Peeters - RUCA Dept. of Mathematics Off # U529 |M _/\/\/_ S
                      Groenenborgerlaan 171, B-2020 Antwerp, Belgium |A \,>o(,,/_ I
                      Phone: +32 3 218 03 75 - Fax: +32 3 218 02 04 |G \(o)(o) /_ M
                      E-mail: wpeeters@... |G /c @_/ P
                      Homepage: http://math.ruca.ua.ac.be/~wpeeters |I C_, )/ S
                      DVD-page: |E / |/ O
                      http://zeus.ruca.ua.ac.be/~wpeeters/dvdlinks.html | "Suck suck" N
                    • niallperry@yahoo.com
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 10, 2001
                        --- In Julian-May-discuss@y..., "Leticia Anderson" <leda_au@y...>
                        wrote:
                        > Just a quick welcome note to new members - there were four or five
                        new
                        > join ups last nite. Please feel free to jump in and introduce
                        yourself
                        > or lurk until comfortable!
                        > Also, just to let everyone know Amanda has unsubscribed.....*cry*
                        >
                        > Oh well, lets just see what else happens!
                        >
                        > Le

                        Well after a long time away I have returned to the discussion list,
                        (a pity about Amanda, but it's great to see so many new people in the
                        list).

                        I've just come back from the US and I bought a copy of Sagittarius
                        Whorl there (can't get it in Ireland, yet) so I'll have a full report
                        on it shortly, has anyone esle read it???

                        I see the great casting debate is still going on, we'll have to get
                        some sort of poll together for it :)

                        Well I'm going to go and read all the postings I've missed.

                        TTFN

                        Niall
                      • Pamburger@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 10, 2001
                          Hello all,

                          My name is Pam and I absolutey love Julian Ma. I have read the pliocene,
                          intervention series and now the last one w/ Diamond mask I guess. I also just
                          perseus spur.

                          Pam
                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 12, 2001
                            --- In Julian-May-discuss@y..., niallperry@y... wrote:
                            > I've just come back from the US and I bought a copy of Sagittarius
                            > Whorl there (can't get it in Ireland, yet) so I'll have a full
                            report
                            > on it shortly, has anyone esle read it???

                            I am reminded of my negligence. My next goal is to read those three
                            books! I've been on a weird reading spin at the moment, I've been
                            doing fantasy rereads (a reread of Kate Elliott's Crown of Stars
                            series and a reread of Robin Hobb's Liveship Traders series - that's
                            a fair bit of reading) and other weird bits and pieces - I've got 'The
                            Rise and Fall of the Third Chimpanzee' in my bag which is a Selfish
                            Gene style popularised human evolution/genetics text, and on my
                            smoking lounge at home are F Scott Fitzgerald's Tender is the Night
                            and The Complete Sailor.
                            My next goals are: Guy Gavriel Kay's Sarantine Mosaic, May's Orion Arm
                            trilogy, reread of I Claudius duo and reread of Lord of the Rings. I
                            get really frustrated sometimes - I feel like I am missing out, that
                            there are so many great books around to be read but I keep finding
                            myself stuck on rereads!

                            > I see the great casting debate is still going on, we'll have to get
                            > some sort of poll together for it :)

                            Are you volunteer
                            Message 13 of 15 , Mar 12, 2001
                              --- In Julian-May-discuss@y..., Pamburger@a... wrote:
                              > Hello all,
                              >
                              > My name is Pam and I absolutey love Julian Ma. I have read the
                              pliocene,
                              > intervention series and now the last one w/ Diamond mask I guess. I
                              also just
                              > perseus spur.
                              >
                              > Pam

                              Hey Pam, great to have you on board! Feel free to toss in any points
                              yu would like to discuss there are plenty of us here justwaiting to do
                              a reread.