Moz, you are my hero! (We are so off topic here, sorry list Moms)

  • Robert Powell
    Message 1 of 58 , Mar 5, 2004
      Hey Moz

      God I love it when you rant!

      You know I love it so much that there is a little part of me that's
      want to really wind you up and say things like:

      C.S Lewis is the greatest writer of all time
      The Narnia series should be given to all children at birth
      regardless of religion
      George Bush should change the constitution so he could be "elected"
      (okay by his friends in the supreme court) again and again and again
      God in his infinite wisdom will destroy San Francisco in the next
      great quake, for becoming the modern Sodom – I think we can take it
      as read that Vegas is the modern Gomorrah
      and Tony Blair should be president of the world

      But I won't because, although it would be fun to hear the sound of
      your head exploding from any where on the planet – and god knows it
      would be fun – but because the above is plainly utter rot and on the
      whole I agree with a lot of what you say.

      Not everything but a lot.

      You strike me as sort of Michael Moore, but with more likelihood of
      using high powered weapons while wearing a postal workers uniform at
      the top of high towers and perhaps giggling a little as a Newt
      Gingrich look-alike comes in to view..,

      What do I disagree on?

      Well for one, Thomas Covenant is a git, not Steven Donaldson.

      Pedantry you might say? Well maybe, but to me, calling Donaldson a
      git for writing about a git, is like calling Thomas Harris a
      cannibal for creating Hannibal Lecter. I also think that the entire
      series of books forcing Covenant to see and make restitution for the
      corruption and destruction of a pure land, that is a direct
      consequence from his act of rape is far from `okaying' the act.

      In fact I'd argue that having to witness the result of your crime
      and having to pay for it for the rest of your life is far more moral
      than a hell of a lot of the stories that abound in fantasy fiction.

      Donaldson's short stories are amongst my favourite fiction of any
      genre, Mythological Beast for example is IMNSHO is a must read for
      anybody who loves fantasy. I wish I could remember the name of his
      story where animals become cyborgs with weapons added to the neural
      systems for quick reaction, to give hunters more of a challenge.
      Instead of the right to bear arms, we have the right to arm bears!

      Brilliantly surreal!

      Oh and you'll be overjoyed to hear that Donaldson is reputedly
      working on the next three books in the Covenant Saga. Ooh, suits you
      sir, I'll prebook them on Amazon for you then shall I? *grin*

      And one last thing, I stand by my assertion that the third film in
      the LOTR series is flawed by not having Sauron destroyed – oh and
      did he just chuck the `eye' out of the window for the hobbits to
      find in a fit of pique as well, or did a really big wave wash it out
      of the window?

      Apparently the shire scenes were shot, just not used in the
      theatrical release as Jackson felt that they disjointed the flow of
      the end scenes. Considering the scope, majesty and what were widely
      regarded as bloody impossible scenes that he managed to capture for
      the rest of the films, I can't see that he couldn't have produced
      the final scenes and thus the final dissolution of magic and
      ultimately kept true to the books, with the same skill. mind you it
      hasn't stopped me watching the thing four times so far, but at the
      end of the day, bring on the DVDs with the alternate endings I say.

      Message 58 of 58 , Mar 18, 2004
        Mozz, thanks for that I don't think we have had one of your spiels for a
        while I thoroughly enjoyed it and was literally laughing out loud towards
        the end. Then I had to cover up what I was laughing about because I am at
        work.

        BTW I am wading through the last month's correspondence. I'm looking forward
        to getting back into it....I just finished my Intervention reread and will
        shortly start on JTB again.