Re: [Julian-May-discuss] Felice's French Connection I

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 29, 2004
      Hi Alix,

      Thanks for the comprehensive explanation of the late Middle Ages. I never thought to
      equate Felice with 'The Maid of Orleans' but with her listening to her 'devils' it becomes
      blindingly obvious.....please keep writing!

      Incidentally, I'm reading an enjoyable time-travel series by Eric Flint at the moment
      (consisting of two books so far) that might appeal to JM fans, about a little working-
      class American town plonked down in 17th century Europe during the Thirty Years War.
      Ouch.

      Not only do they have to cope with the lack of cable TV and what happens when the
      coffee runs out, but also with the plottings of the Inquisition and Cardinal Duc de
      Richelieu as well. There is much opening of the can of Whoop-Ass(TM) (heh, heh) and
      '1632' is the first book if this sounds interesting!

      On 26 Jan 2004 at 0:47, Alix/PDW wrote:

      > Here’s a brief sketch of the Felice/French connection (brief because my ISP is out due to one of
      > Gaia’s dirtier tricks, snow glazed with freezing rain) and I can’t double-check most Web sources
      > as I go. (Is that the laughing tinkle of sleet I hear?) …
      > No, scratch “brief” … It won’t work.

    • Maurice Thomas
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 3, 2004
        I must apologise for the misconception I appear to have spawned from my
        misreading of the original post regarding Loudun. I feel I have
        demonstrated that a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing.

        What I did was read too briskly the mention of Sr. Jeanne, and overlay my
        only knowledge of the word-shape - that is to say, St. Jeanne. Therefore I
        succeeded in transposing the Ursuline Sister Jeanne of the 17th century, and
        the Pucelle of the 15th. Confound my whiskers and set my arse afire.

        Trouble is, both hear voices, and act rashly as a result. The more subtle
        part with the nun is that she is frankly obsessed with a charismatic,
        dashing Jesuit father named Grandier, whom she sets out to destroy (these
        obsessions are wrong wrong WRONG). In this context, of course, the Felice
        parallel is striking - as a conflation of Amerie and Cullucket, Grandier is
        indeed a splendid object of desire/loathing for a repressed woman who hears
        voices.

        Too much to say, too little time. I've to be at work now - look how early
        I'm up !

        Cheers
        Maurice

        Thanks for the comprehensive explanation of the late Middle Ages. I never
        thought to
        equate Felice with 'The Maid of Orleans' but with her listening to her
        'devils' it becomes
        blindingly obvious.....please keep writing!

        Incidentally, I'm reading an enjoyable time-travel series by Eric Flint at
        the moment
        (consisting of two books so far) that might appeal to JM fans, about a
        little working-
        class American town plonked down in 17th century Europe during the Thirty
        Years War.
        Ouch.

        Not only do they have to cope with the lack of cable TV and what happens
        when the
        coffee runs out, but also with the plottings of the Inquisition and Cardinal
        Duc de
        Richelieu as well. There is much opening of the can of Whoop-Ass(TM) (heh,
        heh) and
        '1632' is the first book if this sounds interesting!

        On 26 Jan 2004 at 0:47, Alix/PDW wrote:

        > Here’s a brief sketch of the Felice/French connection (brief because my
        ISP is out due to one of
        > Gaia’s dirtier tricks, snow glazed with freezing rain) and I can’t
        double-check most Web sources
        > as I go. (Is that the laughing tinkle of sleet I hear?) …
        > No, scratch “brief” … It won’t work.

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        To visit your group on the web, go to:

      • Cleomadjai

          Thanks for the comprehensive explanation of the late Middle Ages. I never
          thought to
          equate Felice with 'The Maid of Orleans' but with her listening to her
          'devils' it becomes
          blindingly obvious.....please keep writing!

          Incidentally, I'm reading an enjoyable time-travel series by Eric Flint at
          the moment
          (consisting of two books so far) that might appeal to JM fans, about a
          little working-
          class American town plonked down in 17th century Europe during the Thirty
          Years War.
          Ouch.

          Not only do they have to cope with the lack of cable TV and what happens
          when the
          coffee runs out, but also with the plottings of the Inquisition and Cardinal
          Duc de
          Richelieu as well. There is much opening of the can of Whoop-Ass(TM) (heh,
          heh) and
          '1632' is the first book if this sounds interesting!

          On 26 Jan 2004 at 0:47, Alix/PDW wrote:

          >  Here’s a brief sketch of the Felice/French connection (brief because my
          ISP is out due to one of
          > Gaia’s dirtier tricks, snow glazed with freezing rain) and I can’t
          double-check most Web sources
          > as I go. (Is that the laughing tinkle of sleet I hear?) …
          >  No, scratch “brief” … It won’t work.

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          To visit your group on the web, go to:

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          BT Yahoo! Broadband - Free modem offer, sign up online today and save £80