Re: MOUNT WASHINGTON

  • PD Whitener
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 22, 2004
      Yet another round of thanks for the wonderful pix of Mt. Washington.
      the hotel, and Hanover. They make so many passages of the
      Pliocene/Milieu cycle come to life in a way that nothing else can.
      You will probably be wheedled out of several images as website
      illustrations. How did you ever hold a camera that steady in weather
      that cold? Brrrrrrr ...

      Alix

      --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, "evrhett" <mnelson14@h...>
      wrote:
      > THANK YOU for sharing your pics! The hotel is so incredible! More
      > than worthy of what I had in my mind when reading the novels.
      Truly
      > grandiose! Did the hotel Manager say that alot of us "wannabe's"
      > come around looking and checking it out???
      >
      > Evrhett
      >
      > --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, "Leticia Anderson"
      > <leticia@r...> wrote:
      > > Moz wrote:
      > > > Alternatively, visit www.sofaboy.com/intervention.htm, and have
      > > a look at my
      > > > holiday snaps from 2000.
      > >
      > > Nice! Have we seen these before?? I was a bit spooked by the
      > > names of the waitresses though....
      > >
      > > Evrhett, also have a look in the 'geography' folder in the links
      > > section, there are more Mt Washington links and also Dartmouth
      > > I think.
      > >
      > > Leda
    • Maurice Thomas
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 22, 2004
        There were so few guests (me, my two friends) that I felt rather embarrassed
        to be there at all. They laid on a full staff to run about doing all manner
        of cooked breakfast type things, and I was endlessly impressed. I didn't
        sense that the place was any sort of fandom destination (in the way that
        Portmeirion is the place to be for Prisoner fans), and so I didn't bug the
        staff about it. They're probably sick of people thinking their hotel is the
        place where they filmed the Shining - and having to point out that that
        hotel is in the Rockies and even more stupidly expensive.

        That said, at the Bretton Arms in April, I paid $132 for a SUITE, complete
        with drawing room, bathroom, and rickety old four poster. I chose to sleep
        in the far more comfortable spare room, which merely boasted an orthopaedic
        double bed. Of course, I missed the famous cog journey. I must go back and
        do that properly - and indeed walk up the mountain to do it the honourable
        way, once I get round to stopping being such a fattie.

        Cheers

        Maurice

        <leticia@r...> wrote:
        > Moz wrote:
        > > Alternatively, visit www.sofaboy.com/intervention.htm, and have
        > a look at my
        > > holiday snaps from 2000.
        >
        > Nice! Have we seen these before?? I was a bit spooked by the
        > names of the waitresses though....
        >
        > Evrhett, also have a look in the 'geography' folder in the links
        > section, there are more Mt Washington links and also Dartmouth
        > I think.
        >
        > Leda

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        To visit your group on the web, go to: