TMCL Group Read Thoughts...Amerie

  • Geoff Norfolk
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 8, 2003
      Recently, an enforced stay in hospital passing a kidney stone with help from the NHS (yes there IS WORSE pain than childbirth) resulted in me being able to get well stuck into TMCL.

      Going back over the early chapters my interest was piqued when Elizabeth is playing 'parlour games' psychoanalyzing her fellow group Greenies. She has Claude pegged as an obvious death wisher. I thought to myself that to apply that description to Amerie would be more accurate.

      I found it an interesting insight into her character that she took a large picture of St. Sebastian an early christian martyr into Exile with her. So when I escaped, er I mean was discharged, I did a bit of digging around on the internet investigating Sebastian and came up with a few interesting details that made sense in regards to Ameries character.

      Sebastian was a Roman soldier who was a secret christian given the task of persecuting christians by Diocleatian the then emperor. He actually incited other christians in custody not to apostasize, renounce their faith, and as a result was considered a traitor and martyred himself.

      Amerie definately had a martyr complex. Anyone else notice some parallels here between her hero Sebastian and her own 'execution' at Felices hands. Her own death as a martyr executed by Felice for loving God more than Felice herself was almost scripted from day one. It was obvious from the time that the two of them spent alone in wilderness training that Felice was attracted to Amerie in a less than healthy way and if Amerie had an once of self preservation she would have been concerned. In a way the two of them were perfectly matched, one playing the victim the other the persecutor and I felt alot of distaste at Amerie's welcome of her own death...she got exactly what she wanted.

      Enough blethering for today.

      Regards Helen