Re: Nu thread

  • niallperry@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 15, 2001
      Hi again everyone

      Peter Jackson would be good alright, but We'd have to wait a few yesrs
      for him to finish LOTR.

      As for actors, this fantasy casting is quite tough, the only one I
      have for the moment is:

      Kieran O'Connor = Gabriel Byrne

      TTFN

      Niall

      --- In Julian-May-discuss@egroups.com, nicolel@i... wrote:
      > --- In Julian-May-discuss@egroups.com, "Howard DeVore" <DeVore@N...>
      > wrote:
      > > Hi All
      > > Sorry i went real quiet for a bit!
      > > I got an idea!
      > > If you were the director of the Jack the Bodiless hollywood movie,
      > whom
      > > whould you cast as who?
      > >
      > > later...
      > > Howard DeVore
      >
      > Hi there,
      >
      > Well, the holidays were nice while they lasted and now it's back to
      > work (sob!) :-). Anyway, I think the best director for a theoretical
      > JtB movie would be Peter Jackson..
      >
      > There's an except of JM's latest 'Sagittarius Whorl' on
      > www.randomhouse.com/delrey/
      >
      > It looks quite good and there's a positive review in Amazon.com.
      >
      > High Thoughts
      >
      > - Nicolette :-)
      >
      > "Do you think we Tanu are incapable of using a Sony Translator?"
    • Ian J Greely
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 15, 2001
        Interesting casting. I don't think that KOC could be an Irishman and
        Mr Bryne is about as Irish as they come. Your looking for someone with
        that intensity but a more suave manner on top. More Pierce Brosnan
        than Gabriel Byrne I would have thought.

        The whole O'Conner thing is a patina of civility of raw Celtic
        aggression. The surface layer is important though and needs to be 100%
        believable until the raw aggression breaks though. Much as I like
        Gabriel Byrne as an actor he is more your bowsie than you wasp wanna
        be. I'd cast Byrne as Davie McGregor. OMMV

        regards,
        Ian

        On Mon, 15 Jan 2001 09:27:52 -0000, you wrote:

        >Hi again everyone
        >
        >Peter Jackson would be good alright, but We'd have to wait a few yesrs
        >for him to finish LOTR.
        >
        >As for actors, this fantasy casting is quite tough, the only one I
        >have for the moment is:
        >
        >Kieran O'Connor = Gabriel Byrne
        >

        >TTFN
        >
        >Niall
        >

        >--- In Julian-May-discuss@egroups.com, nicolel@i... wrote:
        >> --- In Julian-May-discuss@egroups.com, "Howard DeVore" <DeVore@N...>
        >> wrote:
        >> > Hi All
        >> > Sorry i went real quiet for a bit!
        >> > I got an idea!
        >> > If you were the director of the Jack the Bodiless hollywood movie,
        >> whom
        >> > whould you cast as who?
        >> >
        >> > later...
        >> > Howard DeVore
        >>
        >> Hi there,
        >>
        >> Well, the holidays were nice while they lasted and now it's back to
        >> work (sob!) :-). Anyway, I think the best director for a theoretical
        >> JtB movie would be Peter Jackson..
        >>
        >> There's an except of JM's latest 'Sagittarius Whorl' on
        >> www.randomhouse.com/delrey/
        >>
        >> It looks quite good and there's a positive review in Amazon.com.
        >>
        >> High Thoughts
        >>
        >> - Nicolette :-)
        >>
        >> "Do you think we Tanu are incapable of using a Sony Translator?"

        "No man can split the atom." --John Dalton, chemist and physicist who
        originated the modern conception of the atomic theory, 1803.

        "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." --Lord Kelvin,
      • leda_au@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 17, 2001
          --- In Julian-May-discuss@egroups.com, Ian J Greely <ian@t...> wrote:
          > Interesting casting. I don't think that KOC could be an Irishman and
          > Mr Bryne is about as Irish as they come. Your looking for someone
          with
          > that intensity but a more suave manner on top. More Pierce Brosnan
          > than Gabriel Byrne I would have thought.
          >
          > The whole O'Conner thing is a patina of civility of raw Celtic
          > aggression. The surface layer is important though and needs to be
          100%
          > believable until the raw aggression breaks though. Much as I like
          > Gabriel Byrne as an actor he is more your bowsie than you wasp wanna
          > be. I'd cast Byrne as Davie McGregor. OMMV
          >
          > regards,
          > Ian

          Interesting casting again....Kieran was of Irish descent after all,
          and Davie a Scotsman. I think I am with Niall for Gabriel as Kieran.
          Though now I am thinking about I can see Brosnan doing the evil MP
          genius the more I think about it. Funny how a casting idea can seem so
          foreign and then you go away and think about it and it really starts
          to make sense.
          Hey, what did Peter Jackson direct before LOTR?
          You know a weird idea I can't shake? Christian Bale as a Remillard,
          not the dark burly ones like Don, Victor and Marc, the slight, paler
          ones like Denis, Sevvie and Adrien. And even Jack, because although he
          is described as being much like a 'softer at the edges' version of
          Marc (dark hair, square features, 'coercor blue' eyes) I have always
          imagined him as being like Denis. So Christian Bale as a young Denis
          or adult Jack.
          How about Joaquim Phoenix as Victor? It is a bit of typecasting for
          the poor bugger considering he had to play the psychopath with a
          paternal fixation in 'Gladiator' but he just seems such a convincing
          thug (has anyone seen 'Clay Pidgeons'?).
          Hang on, I'm casting for Intervention not JtB aren't I? *g*
          Casey Affleck as young Marc (Ben Affleck's younger brother). He may be
          getting abit old for the JtB age of Marc but.
          Have to get my head into gear on the female actresses - Teresa
          Kendall?I can't remember the physical description of her but Cate
          Blanchett is springing to mind. Maybe not 'sexy' enough but. Lucille
          in Intervention would be a great character, can't think of anyone yet
          - though the french actress with the black bob in Three Colours Blue
          (ot think it is blu
        • niallperry@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 18, 2001
            I think GB should play KO'K, but if Sean Conery can do a Russian, I
            don't see why GB couldn't do Scotsman. Not sure what Peter Jackson
            has done before (horror movies I think, any ideas Ian?)

            I have this idea in my head that Sean Penn should be in there
            somewhere, maybe Donnie?? and Connie Neilsen (of Gladiator fame)
            possibly Lucille . Rogi is one I can't even begin to think who could
            play him, anyone else any thoughts?

            TTFN

            Niall

          • Ian J Greely
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 18, 2001
              On Thu, 18 Jan 2001 07:45:21 -0000, you wrote:

              >--- In Julian-May-discuss@egroups.com, Ian J Greely <ian@t...> wrote:
              >> Interesting casting. I don't think that KOC could be an Irishman and
              >> Mr Bryne is about as Irish as they come. Your looking for someone
              >with
              >> that intensity but a more suave manner on top. More Pierce Brosnan
              >> than Gabriel Byrne I would have thought.
              >>
              >> The whole O'Conner thing is a patina of civility of raw Celtic
              >> aggression. The surface layer is important though and needs to be
              >100%
              >> believable until the raw aggression breaks though. Much as I like
              >> Gabriel Byrne as an actor he is more your bowsie than you wasp wanna
              >> be. I'd cast Byrne as Davie McGregor. OMMV
              >>
              >> regards,
              >> Ian
              >
              >Interesting casting again....Kieran was of Irish descent after all,
              >and Davie a Scotsman. I think I am with Niall for Gabriel as Kieran.
              >Though now I am thinking about I can see Brosnan doing the evil MP
              >genius the more I think about it. Funny how a casting idea can seem so
              >foreign and then you go away and think about it and it really starts
              >to make sense.
              Brosnan is Irish. From Co Meath I believe...

              The character isn't terribly different from Thomas Crown in the Thomas
              Crown affair and I think Mr Brosnan did an excellent job with it.

              I do like Gabriel but I have never seen him manage to successfully
              ditch the Irish accent. The best he did was defence of the realm and
              that would be a credible North Brit scotsman ... Remember KOC is
              Irish-American, not Irish. There is quite a difference between being a
              plastic paddy and being a paddy ;-) "In the land of my youth we were
              gods..."

              >Hey, what did Peter Jackson direct before LOTR?
              I haven't been keeping abreast of the LOTR thing because I want to
              experience it "clean" as it were. Have deliberately avoided MI2 and
              other FX type movies because I would like to experience the full force
              of the FX work. :) (If I'd known about it before the Matrix I would
              have avoided that too!)

              regards,
              Ian

              "No man can split the atom." --John Dalton, chemist and physicist who
              originated the modern conception of the atomic theory, 1803.

              "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." --Lord Kelvin,
            • Avalon Myst
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 18, 2001
                Hi Leda

                Off the top of my head, Peter Jackson has
                directed:

                The Frighteners (with Michael J Fox)
                Heavenly Creatures (with Kate Winslet)

                and a couple of others whose names escape me at
                the moment ... all set in NZ.

                Other Kiwis on the list will probably remember
                the others.

                --- leda_au@... wrote: > --- In

                http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
              • nicolel@iconz.co.nz
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 20, 2001
                  Hi folks,

                  >--- In Julian-May-discuss@egroups.com, Ian J Greely <ian@t...> wrote:
                  >> Interesting casting. I don't think that KOC could be an Irishman and
                  >> Mr Bryne is about as Irish as they come. Your looking for someone
                  >with
                  >> that intensity but a more suave manner on top. More Pierce Brosnan
                  >> than Gabriel Byrne I would have thought.
                  >>
                  >> The whole O'Conner thing is a patina of civility of raw Celtic
                  >> aggression. The surface layer is important though and needs to be
                  >100%
                  >> believable until the raw aggression breaks though. Much as I like
                  >> Gabriel Byrne as an actor he is more your bowsie than you wasp wanna
                  >> be. I'd cast Byrne as Davie McGregor. OMMV
                  >>
                  >> regards,
                  >> Ian
                  >
                  >Interesting casting again....Kieran was of Irish descent after all,
                  >and Davie a Scotsman. I think I am with Niall for Gabriel as Kieran.
                  >Though now I am thinking about I can see Brosnan doing the evil MP
                  >genius the more I think about it. Funny how a casting idea can seem so
                  >foreign and then you go away and think about it and it really starts
                  >to make sense.

                  I'm on the side that Pierce Brosnan would be a good Kieran. While I like
                  Gabriel I feel that he would radiate too much intensity, and Kieran's
                  character took care to appear diffident. Hey, now that I think about it
                  another actor who could play Kieran is Ed Wasser who played Morden on
                  Babylon 5 - charming on the surface but with his own evil agenda.

                  >You know a weird idea I can't shake? Christian Bale as a Remillard,
                  >not the dark burly ones like Don, Victor and Marc, the slight, paler
                  >ones like Denis, Sevvie and Adrien. And even Jack, because although he
                  >is described as being much like a 'softer at the edges' version of
                  >Marc (dark hair, square features, 'coercor blue' eyes) I have always
                  >imagined him as being like Denis. So Christian Bale as a young Denis
                  >or adult Jack.

                  >How about Joaquim Phoenix as Victor? It is a bit of typecasting for
                  >the poor bugger considering he had to play the psychopath with a
                  >paternal fixation in 'Gladiator' but he just seems such a convincing
                  >thug (has anyone seen 'Clay Pidgeons'?).
                  >Hang on, I'm casting for Intervention not JtB aren't I? *g*
                  >Casey Affleck as young Marc (Ben Affleck's younger brother). He may be
                  >getting abit old for the JtB age of Marc but.
                  >Have to get my head into gear on the female actresses - Teresa
                  >Kendall?I can't remember the physical description of her but Cate
                  >Blanchett is springing to mind. Maybe not 'sexy' enough but. Lucille
                  >in Intervention would be a great character, can't think of anyone yet
                  >- though the french actress with the black bob in Three Colours Blue
                  >(ot think it is blu

                  Christian Bale could be a good Jack, but I feel James Spader would do a
                  better job as Denis as he could portray a diffident, laidback
                  character..until you looked in his eyes. Jonathan Frakes would be a good
                  Paul - he's got the playboy-ish charm at times and the blue eyes. Rogi?
                  That's a toughie but the closest I can think of is the guy who played that
                  priest in 'Fifth Element' - Ian Holm I think it was. Marc? Another toughie.
                  As for the other burly Remillards I think Hugh Jackman from X-Men would be
                  perfect. He's got the build and the aggression. I will have to think a bit
                  about the female actresses...

                  "Hide! Beware! Because Kyllikki's coming and she's carrying death."
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 21, 2001
                    > I'm on the side that Pierce Brosnan would be a good
                    > Kieran. While I like
                    > Gabriel I feel that he would radiate too much
                    > intensity, and Kieran's
                    > character took care to appear diffident.

                    I guess the radiating intensity without regard for the
                    attention it draws is a more Remillard trait.

                    > Christian Bale could be a good Jack, but I feel
                    > James Spader would do a
                    > better job as Denis as he could portray a diffident,
                    > laidback
                    > character..until you looked in his eyes.

                    I don't know, James Spader is getting pretty old, he's
                    such a geek too! Not that Jack isn't the biggest geek
                    who ever [might have] lived!!!!

                    Jonathan
                    > Frakes would be a good
                    > Paul - he's got the playboy-ish charm at times and
                    > the blue eyes.

                    Who is Jonathon Frakes?

                    Rogi?
                    > That's a toughie but the closest I can think of is
                    > the guy who played that
                    > priest in 'Fifth Element' - Ian Holm I think it was.

                    > As for the other burly Remillards I think Hugh
                    > Jackman from X-Men would be
                    > perfect. He's got the build and the aggression.

                    But have you seen any of his other movies? It is a
                    quite out of type role for Jackman in X-men (by the
                    way I only saw X-men a week ago, I loved it but can't
                    help thinking it was a bit dodgy how they scrapped
                    Jubilee's character (does anyone know X-men??)). Other
                    movies he is just a laidback Aussie!! I don't know if
                    I could see him as a Remillard but maybe as Aiken
                    Drum!!!!

                    Regards,

                    http://auctions.yahoo.com/
                  • nicolel@iconz.co.nz
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 23, 2001
                      Hi Leda,

                      >> Christian Bale could be a good Jack, but I feel
                      >> James Spader would do a
                      >> better job as Denis as he could portray a diffident,
                      >> laidback
                      >> character..until you looked in his eyes.
                      >
                      >I don't know, James Spader is getting pretty old, he's
                      >such a geek too! Not that Jack isn't the biggest geek
                      >who ever [might have] lived!!!!

                      Well, are there any other suggestions out there for someone who could
                      portray Denis?

                      >Jonathan Frakes would be a good Paul - he's got the playboy-ish charm at
                      times >> and the blue eyes.

                      >Who is Jonathon Frakes?

                      He was Commander Riker in Star Trek: Next Generation.

                      >> As for the other burly Remillards I think Hugh
                      >> Jackman from X-Men would be
                      >> perfect. He's got the build and the aggression.
                      >
                      >But have you seen any of his other movies? It is a
                      >quite out of type role for Jackman in X-men (by the
                      >way I only saw X-men a week ago, I loved it but can't
                      >help thinking it was a bit dodgy how they scrapped
                      >Jubilee's character (does anyone know X-men??)). Other
                      >movies he is just a laidback Aussie!! I don't know if
                      >I could see him as a Remillard but maybe as Aiken
                      >Drum!!!!

                      I haven't seen any other of Hugh's movies, sorry! But when I saw him I
                      thought hey, he could be Don or Victor. As for Aiken Drum I think Seth Green
                      who played Oz in 'Buffy' would be perfect for the role - he's got that foxy,
                      Trickster look and he would be the right age.

                      I'm not familiar with the X-Men comics so I'm certainly no expert. But I
                      liked the film and was glad that Kiwi actress Anna Paquin was in it (yay!).

                      "You hoped that the more thoroughly you rejected the tangible, the closer
                      you would be to spirit: that you would be more divine if you lived in the
                      world of pure thought, or at least more angelic if you fled the corporeal?
                      Well, you were like to have perished from hunger."
                      - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 23, 2001
                        Hey nicolette,

                        > >Who is Jonathon Frakes?
                        >
                        > He was Commander Riker in Star Trek: Next
                        > Generation.

                        I've never watched Star Trek, at least not until I
                        went to the UK where it is on TV quite a bit, in
                        Australia you have to stay up till late to watch it, I
                        never thought I had an interest but I watched a bit
                        O/S.

                        > >> As for the other burly Remillards I think Hugh
                        > >> Jackman from X-Men would be
                        > >> perfect. He's got the build and the aggression.

                        > I haven't seen any other of Hugh's movies, sorry!
                        > But when I saw him I
                        > thought hey, he could be Don or Victor. As for Aiken
                        > Drum I think Seth Green
                        > who played Oz in 'Buffy' would be perfect for the
                        > role - he's got that foxy,
                        > Trickster look and he would be the right age.

                        Ahhh, good e.g. with Seth Green, even got the red
                        hair! Only problem I can see is whether he could pull
                        off the strength of Aiken;s character (he is a
                        dropkick in everything I have ever seen him in...Point
                        Break, The Byrds of Paradise, Buffy, Austin Powers,
                        what else has he been in where he may have played a
                        stronger character?).

                        > I'm not familiar with the X-Men comics so I'm
                        > certainly no expert. But I
                        > liked the film and was glad that Kiwi actress Anna
                        > Paquin was in it (yay!).

                        Good casting all around with an Aussie in the lead, I
                        say! I've never read the comics but used to wwtch the
                        Tv series obsessively when I was a kid, Wolverine was
                        probably one of my first loves (I have this very
                        abnormal attraction to curious male figures in
                        literature, look at me, Marc Remillard is the love of
                        my life!)

                        > "You hoped that the more thoroughly you rejected the
                        > tangible, the closer
                        > you would be to spirit: that you would be more
                        > divine if you lived in the
                        > world of pure thought, or at least more angelic if
                        > you fled the corporeal?
                        > Well, you were like to have perished from hunger."
                        > - Pierre
                        > Teilhard de Chardin

                        Excellent qte!!!! Which work is that from? I started
                        (again) trying to plow through Le Milieu Divin last
                        night but didn't get far.....

                        http://auctions.yahoo.com/
                      • nicolel@iconz.co.nz
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 24, 2001
                          Hi Leda,

                          >I've never watched Star Trek, at least not until I
                          >went to the UK where it is on TV quite a bit, in
                          >Australia you have to stay up till late to watch it, I
                          >never thought I had an interest but I watched a bit
                          >O/S.

                          When I've been over to Australia I've noticed that the TV stations stick
                          sci-fi on really late. My sympathies. Mind you, 'Buffy' has been on at 11.00
                          pm which has had the fans *complaining*.

                          >Ahhh, good e.g. with Seth Green, even got the red
                          >hair! Only problem I can see is whether he could pull
                          >off the strength of Aiken;s character (he is a
                          >dropkick in everything I have ever seen him in...Point
                          >Break, The Byrds of Paradise, Buffy, Austin Powers,
                          >what else has he been in where he may have played a
                          >stronger character?).

                          I'm not entirely sure Seth Green could realistically portray Aiken, but then
                          again in 'Buffy' he had to wrestle with his dark werewolf side and some of
                          those scenes were intense. Who knows..

                          >> I'm not familiar with the X-Men comics so I'm
                          >> certainly no expert. But I
                          >> liked the film and was glad that Kiwi actress Anna
                          >> Paquin was in it (yay!).
                          >
                          >Good casting all around with an Aussie in the lead, I
                          >say! I've never read the comics but used to wwtch the
                          >Tv series obsessively when I was a kid, Wolverine was
                          >probably one of my first loves (I have this very
                          >abnormal attraction to curious male figures in
                          >literature, look at me, Marc Remillard is the love of
                          >my life!)

                          Admit, it's because of that half-smile of his isn't it? :-)

                          >> "You hoped that the more thoroughly you rejected the
                          >> tangible, the closer
                          >> you would be to spirit: that you would be more
                          >> divine if you lived in the
                          >> world of pure thought, or at least more angelic if
                          >> you fled the corporeal?
                          >> Well, you were like to have perished from hunger."
                          >> - Pierre
                          >> Teilhard de Chardin
                          >
                          >Excellent qte!!!! Which work is that from? I started
                          >(again) trying to plow through Le Milieu Divin last
                          >night but didn't get far.....

                          It's from the book 'Pierre Teilhard de Chardin - Writings Selected With an
                          Introduction by Ursula King', part of a series of books called the Modern
                          Spiritual Masters Series. It's quite a good introduction to Teilhard as it
                          has extracts from his works which are discussed by Ursula in a down to earth
                          way. This is good because once Teilhard gets going on a subject you're
                          sometimes left going 'huh???'. The quote I had by the way is from 'The Heart
                          of Matter'.

                          "Ruling a few thousand barbarians as a quasi-feudal overlord isn't exactly
                          my style"
                        • Amanda Prater
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jan 26, 2001

                            Hi all :-)

                            Might I suggest the Internet Movie Database for those of you (like me) who may not know some of the actors/actresses being discussed.

                            Amanda :-)

                          • Deidre
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jan 29, 2001
                              At 10:19 AM 1/27/01 +0000, Amanda Prater wrote:

                              >Message: 1
                              > Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 18:07:42
                              > From: "Amanda Prater" <fellicity_@...>
                              >Subject: Re: Re: Nu thread
                              >
                              >[This message is not in displayable format]

                              Amanda,

                              Please re-post your message in plain text format. Many people cannot see
                              your message, as they have their email programs set to view only plain text
                              mail, for many reasons, for example, so they can't view attachments
                              automatically and have viruses infect their computer. For those of us who
                              are on the digest format, please note that Yahoo Groups strips attachments
                              from the digest format, so again we cannot see your message.

                              Thanks in advance.