Re: Friday Where? Chat or Post? Reading Schedule

  • PD Whitener
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 1, 2003
      Nicolette ...

      DUH ... clumsy lack of clarity on my part about the chapter
      summaries. Your first three are just right for both newbie and repeat
      readers. My concern here was for the amount of work required of one
      person, especially if we pick up the pace, which may be needful for
      holding newbie interest.

      > I'm certainly open for suggestions for the best way to get people
      > involved in the group read - I thought it had been a good idea on my
      > part to start with some chapter summaries ...

      In fact, I've been eyebrow deep in Pliocene/Milieu book and reference
      summaries getting ready for a newbie group read of US and CA friends
      starting in a few weeks - a mixed bunch that will certainly read for
      entertainment, with a few that will tear into issues from nursery
      rhyme references to metallurgy to Teilhard and the noosphere.(All
      have been given links for this site, one has joined and several
      others are reading.)

      > I have the nagging feeling now that I went about it the wrong way
      > since no ones really talking about the TMCL, but then I've never
      > been in a group read before (looks sheepish).

      Observe my own woolly state: It's my first, too, at least on the web.
      Working experience with readers (as onetime daily newsroom arts
      reviewer and occasional writing and lit tutor), though, tells me we
      are likely to lose newbie interest with any very leisurely pace.

      What might really help sharpen casual interest is prominent posting
      of basic information and definite open chat dates. The Pliocene Saga
      should be named and described, individual titles listed in order with
      brief summaries, suggested sources for purchase, related links, and a
      short bit of background. It wouldn't hurt to start a new links folder
      for TMCL, including visuals like maps and the BBC's Pliocene mammal
      illustrations. It would be well, too, to make this information
      available on other sites. Most who maintain tribute sites could
      easily add a line or two and an info link. A guest speaker or two
      like David Spurgeon would be great.

      > As for art based on JM's work, well, once Bob's great site
      > www.pallol.com comes back online you'll be able to see the art he
      > created.

      ... and none too soon. I've been pouting for weeks about being too
      lately come to see more than a scrap or two of the multi-talented
      Bob's work, and NONE of those JM-related. But there's plenty of room
      here for artworks from as many artists as we can cajole into sharing
      their vision with us, and I, for one, would like to see every last
      one of them.

      My apologies if I seemed to slight either the painstaking and highly
      effective writing or the tactful administrative hand of our talented
      and astonishingly good-tempered moderator. (How do you do it? I'd be
      tearing out my naturally woolly hair - which BTW used to look much
      like the Felice cover image 'do, except brunette.) In fact, I've been
      surprised at the consistent keenness of both wit and talent I've
      found in Julian May Discuss.

      I've heard this same reaction from my US and CA friends, and it ain't
      necessarily so in similar Web discussion groups, in fact in most that
      I have looked in on, including a good many that lay claim
      to "professional" core membership. I look forward to reading, and
      often re-reading, the posts, and JMD has added a great deal to my
      latest foray into the Pliocene Saga and the Galactic Milieu. There is
      so much still to discover in Julian May's brilliant work. My thanks
      to all for keeping the campfires burning, for the wonderful home base
      you have built for this latest Pliocene expedition (not the least for
      the generous links page), and for sharing the fun.

      alix
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 1, 2003
        Hiya,

        I'm sad to hear about the posting problems on Yahoo, but then that's
        computers for you! It would be good to see your 'reposted' comments,
        Helen.

        A good point raised by Diamondmask is that nothing really happens in
        the early chapters. I suppose I could be persuaded to post a few
        more chapter summaries to be included in the 'first' discussion (but
        this would probably be in the weekend). However, if anyone is keen
        to post their own summaries for the next chapters, please feel free
        to go ahead!

        --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, "Geoff Norfolk"
        <g.norfolk@n...> wrote:
        > We've been experiencing severe difficulties with posting too, with
        serving being down practically half the week especially the peak
        times ie. weekends and evenings, though this is the first access
        today since mid morning...

        > We actually 'lost' all the earlier stuff you sent about the first
        three chapters Nicholette and had to go on the discussion group and
        print it off to view as access has been so unreliable. I will repost
        the stuff I originally tried to send which didn't get thru

        > Helen
        Post? Reading Schedule

        > Nicolette
        >
        > Hi, I''ve had major problems with posting on yahoo over the last
        week - don't know if anyone else has. But this (hopefully it will
        get through) is the first time I've been able to send.

        > I think the problem with the first 3 chapters of the
        Introduction of TMCL is that nothing really happens, its just
        setting the scene. Maybe we will want to include more chapters to
        advance into the action in the book?

        > Diamondmask
        >
        > Nicolette Lewer <n.lewer@n...> wrote:
        > Hi there,
        >
        > I'm certainly open for suggestions for the best way to get
        people
        > involved in the group read - I thought it had been a good idea
        on my
        > part to start with some chapter summaries that would hopefully
        incite
        > discussion.
        >
        > I have the nagging feeling now that I went about it the wrong
        way
        > since no ones really talking about the TMCL, but then I've
        never been
        > in a group read before (looks sheepish). As I said in a
        > the 'rules' proposed for the group read are not set in stone,
        and I
        > would like to do my humble best to make sure it works for those
        > interested.
        >
        > As for art based on JM's work, well, once Bob's great site
        > www.pallol.com comes back online you'll be able to see the art
        he created.

        > High Thoughts
        > - Nicolette :-)
        >

        > > (2)Is the appointment for posting messages, or for chat?
        > > --If chat, should we be proposing questions or topics?
        > > --And if chat, might it not work better on a weekend when
        it's easier
        > > to forgo a little sleep?
        > > --Will it be possible to save chat content and post it for
        those who
        > > can't join in?
        > > Posting is a chaliko of a different color: Prepared posts
        are
        > > wonderful, but a concentrated posting time leaves little or
        no room
        > > for answers or lively exchange of ideas.
        > > --I would have loved to be online when Jason Collins put
        forth his
        > > where's-the-art question: Where indeed, Jason? I am waiting
        eagerly
        > > for your own picture of the Auberge .. the lowlife camps ..
        the
        > > Ship's Grave .. of Chief Burke .. of the rama slaves ..
        Loved the
        > > artwork on your website: you'd be perfect.
        > >
        > > (3) Why are we reading so few chapters at a time? Wouldn't
        it be
        > > easier on our newbies, for instance, to get through the
        Group Green
        > > character intros, or perhaps right up to the Castle Gateway
        landing?
        > > JM's brilliant stage is not quite set until then, but her
        pace is
        > > still compelling here, if slower, and readers are likely to
        lose
        > > interest in anything that happened two volumes ago.
        > > --The posts so far have been great, especially Nicolette's
        summary
        > > for the sake of first-time readers. Might not a few of our
        veterans
        > > agree to take turns with short chapter summaries, posted a
        few days
        > > in advance of the next appointment?
        > >
        > > Bleary but eager,
        > > Alix

        -----------
        > Want to chat instantly with your online friends? Get the FREE
        Yahoo! Messenger
        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Service.
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 1, 2003
          Hi Mike,

          Well, it's good to hear people have been reading my reviews.

          Thanks for the 'progess report' about pallol.com, it will be good to
          see it up again. I'm glad I had saved copies of some of Bob's
          pictures to my own computer a while ago; they make good screensavers
          that's for sure!

          --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, Mike Vallender
          <mike@v...> wrote:
          > Hi Nicollete,
          >
          > If it counts, I was enjoying your synopsis, I just dont have time
          to scratch myself, let alone particpate in a group read, but I am
          there in spirit as I read you reviews.

          > I am hoping pallol.com will be live soonish, it is in its new
          home, just waiting for a DNS entry, which Bob is taking care of.

> [...]
          Green
          > > character intros, or perhaps right up to the Castle Gateway
          landing?
          > > JM's brilliant stage is not quite set until then, but her pace
          is
          > > still compelling here, if slower, and readers are likely to lose
          > > interest in anything that happened two volumes ago.
          > > --The posts so far have been great, especially Nicolette's
          summary
          > > for the sake of first-time readers. Might not a few of our
          veterans
          > > agree to take turns with short chapter summaries, posted a few
          days
          > > in advance of the next appointment?
          > >
          > > Bleary but eager,
          > > Alix

          -~-->
          > Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or
          Lexmark
          Canada.
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 2, 2003
            Hi Alix,

            > What might really help sharpen casual interest is prominent posting
            > of basic information and definite open chat dates. The Pliocene Saga
            > should be named and described, individual titles listed in order with
            > brief summaries, suggested sources for purchase, related links, and a
            > short bit of background. It wouldn't hurt to start a new links folder
            > for TMCL, including visuals like maps and the BBC's Pliocene mammal
            > illustrations. It would be well, too, to make this information
            > available on other sites. Most who maintain tribute sites could
            > easily add a line or two and an info link. A guest speaker or two
            > like David Spurgeon would be great.

            Some good ideas there - certainly it would be useful to mention
            helpful links to places/celtic legends etc as we go along in the
            discussion (and I can see some work may need to be done on the links
            section!).

            > My apologies if I seemed to slight either the painstaking and highly
            > effective writing or the tactful administrative hand of our talented
            > and astonishingly good-tempered moderator. (How do you do it? I'd be
            > tearing out my naturally woolly hair - which BTW used to look much
            > like the Felice cover image 'do, except brunette.) In fact, I've been
            > surprised at the consistent keenness of both wit and talent I've
            > found in Julian May Discuss.

            You'll make my head swell if you're not careful! <g> But I think
            there's a good crowd here at JMD - we like to pick things to bits, we
            may have opposing views about certain characters that have got heated
            at times *cough*Marc*cough* but we like to have fun too. Many people
            who like sci-fi/fantasy have oddball senses of humour anyway, heh.

            > I've heard this same reaction from my US and CA friends, and it ain't
            > necessarily so in similar Web discussion groups, in fact in most that
            > I have looked in on, including a good many that lay claim
            > to "professional" core membership. I look forward to reading, and
            > often re-reading, the posts, and JMD has added a great deal to my
            > latest foray into the Pliocene Saga and the Galactic Milieu. There is
            > so much still to discover in Julian May's brilliant work. My thanks
            > to all for keeping the campfires burning, for the wonderful home base
            > you have built for this latest Pliocene expedition (not the least for
            > the generous links page), and for sharing the fun.
            >
            > alix

            Well, every time I read JM's work I find something new - JM did
            mention in an interview that there were about 'six layers' (!!) to her
            work. I certainly found I had less tolerance to 'shallow' stories
            after I became hooked to her books....