Re: [Julian-May-discuss] Re: Friday Where? Chat or Post? Reading Schedule

  • Mike Vallender
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 30, 2003
      Hi Nicollete,

      If it counts, I was enjoying your synopsis, I just dont have time to scratch myself, let alone particpate in a group read, but I am there in spirit as I read you reviews.

      I am hoping pallol.com will be live soonish, it is in its new home, just waiting for a DNS entry, which Bob is taking care of.

      Cheers

      Mike

      -----Original Message from Nicolette Lewer <n.lewer@...>-----

      Hi there,

      I'm certainly open for suggestions for the best way to get people
      involved in the group read - I thought it had been a good idea on my
      part to start with some chapter summaries that would hopefully incite
      discussion.

      I have the nagging feeling now that I went about it the wrong way
      since no ones really talking about the TMCL, but then I've never been
      in a group read before (looks sheepish). As I said in a previous post,
      the 'rules' proposed for the group read are not set in stone, and I
      would like to do my humble best to make sure it works for those
      interested.

      As for art based on JM's work, well, once Bob's great site
      www.pallol.com comes back online you'll be able to see the art he created.

      > (2)Is the appointment for posting messages, or for chat?
      > --If chat, should we be proposing questions or topics?
      > --And if chat, might it not work better on a weekend when it's easier
      > to forgo a little sleep?
      > --Will it be possible to save chat content and post it for those who
      > can't join in?
      > Posting is a chaliko of a different color: Prepared posts are
      > wonderful, but a concentrated posting time leaves little or no room
      > for answers or lively exchange of ideas.
      > --I would have loved to be online when Jason Collins put forth his
      > where's-the-art question: Where indeed, Jason? I am waiting eagerly
      > for your own picture of the Auberge .. the lowlife camps .. the
      > Ship's Grave .. of Chief Burke .. of the rama slaves .. Loved the
      > artwork on your website: you'd be perfect.
      >
      > (3) Why are we reading so few chapters at a time? Wouldn't it be
      > easier on our newbies, for instance, to get through the Group Green
      > character intros, or perhaps right up to the Castle Gateway landing?
      > JM's brilliant stage is not quite set until then, but her pace is
      > still compelling here, if slower, and readers are likely to lose
      > interest in anything that happened two volumes ago.
      > --The posts so far have been great, especially Nicolette's summary
      > for the sake of first-time readers. Might not a few of our veterans
      > agree to take turns with short chapter summaries, posted a few days
      > in advance of the next appointment?
      >
      > Bleary but eager,
      > Alix

      http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
      http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/FIyolB/TM
    • PD Whitener
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 1, 2003
        Nicolette ...

        DUH ... clumsy lack of clarity on my part about the chapter
        summaries. Your first three are just right for both newbie and repeat
        readers. My concern here was for the amount of work required of one
        person, especially if we pick up the pace, which may be needful for
        holding newbie interest.

        > I'm certainly open for suggestions for the best way to get people
        > involved in the group read - I thought it had been a good idea on my
        > part to start with some chapter summaries ...

        In fact, I've been eyebrow deep in Pliocene/Milieu book and reference
        summaries getting ready for a newbie group read of US and CA friends
        starting in a few weeks - a mixed bunch that will certainly read for
        entertainment, with a few that will tear into issues from nursery
        rhyme references to metallurgy to Teilhard and the noosphere.(All
        have been given links for this site, one has joined and several
        others are reading.)

        > I have the nagging feeling now that I went about it the wrong way
        > since no ones really talking about the TMCL, but then I've never
        > been in a group read before (looks sheepish).

        Observe my own woolly state: It's my first, too, at least on the web.
        Working experience with readers (as onetime daily newsroom arts
        reviewer and occasional writing and lit tutor), though, tells me we
        are likely to lose newbie interest with any very leisurely pace.

        What might really help sharpen casual interest is prominent posting
        of basic information and definite open chat dates. The Pliocene Saga
        should be named and described, individual titles listed in order with
        brief summaries, suggested sources for purchase, related links, and a
        short bit of background. It wouldn't hurt to start a new links folder
        for TMCL, including visuals like maps and the BBC's Pliocene mammal
        illustrations. It would be well, too, to make this information
        available on other sites. Most who maintain tribute sites could
        easily add a line or two and an info link. A guest speaker or two
        like David Spurgeon would be great.

        > As for art based on JM's work, well, once Bob's great site
        > www.pallol.com comes back online you'll be able to see the art he
        > created.

        ... and none too soon. I've been pouting for weeks about being too
        lately come to see more than a scrap or two of the multi-talented
        Bob's work, and NONE of those JM-related. But there's plenty of room
        here for artworks from as many artists as we can cajole into sharing
        their vision with us, and I, for one, would like to see every last
        one of them.

        My apologies if I seemed to slight either the painstaking and highly
        effective writing or the tactful administrative hand of our talented
        and astonishingly good-tempered moderator. (How do you do it? I'd be
        tearing out my naturally woolly hair - which BTW used to look much
        like the Felice cover image 'do, except brunette.) In fact, I've been
        surprised at the consistent keenness of both wit and talent I've
        found in Julian May Discuss.

        I've heard this same reaction from my US and CA friends, and it ain't
        necessarily so in similar Web discussion groups, in fact in most that
        I have looked in on, including a good many that lay claim
        to "professional" core membership. I look forward to reading, and
        often re-reading, the posts, and JMD has added a great deal to my
        latest foray into the Pliocene Saga and the Galactic Milieu. There is
        so much still to discover in Julian May's brilliant work. My thanks
        to all for keeping the campfires burning, for the wonderful home base
        you have built for this latest Pliocene expedition (not the least for
        the generous links page), and for sharing the fun.

        alix
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 1, 2003
          Hiya,

          I'm sad to hear about the posting problems on Yahoo, but then that's
          computers for you! It would be good to see your 'reposted' comments,
          Helen.

          A good point raised by Diamondmask is that nothing really happens in
          the early chapters. I suppose I could be persuaded to post a few
          more chapter summaries to be included in the 'first' discussion (but
          this would probably be in the weekend). However, if anyone is keen
          to post their own summaries for the next chapters, please feel free
          to go ahead!

          --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, "Geoff Norfolk"
          <g.norfolk@n...> wrote:
          > We've been experiencing severe difficulties with posting too, with
          serving being down practically half the week especially the peak
          times ie. weekends and evenings, though this is the first access
          today since mid morning...

          > We actually 'lost' all the earlier stuff you sent about the first
          three chapters Nicholette and had to go on the discussion group and
          print it off to view as access has been so unreliable. I will repost
          the stuff I originally tried to send which didn't get thru

          > Helen
          Post? Reading Schedule

          > Nicolette
          >
          > Hi, I''ve had major problems with posting on yahoo over the last
          week - don't know if anyone else has. But this (hopefully it will
          get through) is the first time I've been able to send.

          > I think the problem with the first 3 chapters of the
          Introduction of TMCL is that nothing really happens, its just
          setting the scene. Maybe we will want to include more chapters to
          advance into the action in the book?

> [...]
          Group Green
          > > character intros, or perhaps right up to the Castle Gateway
          landing?
          > > JM's brilliant stage is not quite set until then, but her
          pace is
          > > still compelling here, if slower, and readers are likely to
          lose
          > > interest in anything that happened two volumes ago.
          > > --The posts so far have been great, especially Nicolette's
          summary
          > > for the sake of first-time readers. Might not a few of our
          veterans
          > > agree to take turns with short chapter summaries, posted a
          few days
          > > in advance of the next appointment?
          > >
          > > Bleary but eager,
          > > Alix

          -----------
          > Want to chat instantly with your online friends? Get the FREE
          Yahoo! Messenger
          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          Service.
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 1, 2003
            Hi Mike,

            Well, it's good to hear people have been reading my reviews.

            Thanks for the 'progess report' about pallol.com, it will be good to
            see it up again. I'm glad I had saved copies of some of Bob's
            pictures to my own computer a while ago; they make good screensavers
            that's for sure!

            --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, Mike Vallender
            <mike@v...> wrote:
> [...]
            Green
            > > character intros, or perhaps right up to the Castle Gateway
            landing?
            > > JM's brilliant stage is not quite set until then, but her pace
            is
            > > still compelling here, if slower, and readers are likely to lose
            > > interest in anything that happened two volumes ago.
            > > --The posts so far have been great, especially Nicolette's
            summary
            > > for the sake of first-time readers. Might not a few of our
            veterans
            > > agree to take turns with short chapter summaries, posted a few
            days
            > > in advance of the next appointment?
            > >
            > > Bleary but eager,
            > > Alix

            -~-->
            > Buy Ink Cartridges or Refill Kits for your HP, Epson, Canon or
            Lexmark
            Canada.
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 2, 2003
              Hi Alix,

              > What might really help sharpen casual interest is prominent posting
              > of basic information and definite open chat dates. The Pliocene Saga
              > should be named and described, individual titles listed in order with
              > brief summaries, suggested sources for purchase, related links, and a
              > short bit of background. It wouldn't hurt to start a new links folder
              > for TMCL, including visuals like maps and the BBC's Pliocene mammal
              > illustrations. It would be well, too, to make this information
              > available on other sites. Most who maintain tribute sites could
              > easily add a line or two and an info link. A guest speaker or two
              > like David Spurgeon would be great.

              Some good ideas there - certainly it would be useful to mention
              helpful links to places/celtic legends etc as we go along in the
              discussion (and I can see some work may need to be done on the links
              section!).

              > My apologies if I seemed to slight either the painstaking and highly
              > effective writing or the tactful administrative hand of our talented
              > and astonishingly good-tempered moderator. (How do you do it? I'd be
              > tearing out my naturally woolly hair - which BTW used to look much
              > like the Felice cover image 'do, except brunette.) In fact, I've been
              > surprised at the consistent keenness of both wit and talent I've
              > found in Julian May Discuss.

              You'll make my head swell if you're not careful! <g> But I think
              there's a good crowd here at JMD - we like to pick things to bits, we
              may have opposing views about certain characters that have got heated
              at times *cough*Marc*cough* but we like to have fun too. Many people
              who like sci-fi/fantasy have oddball senses of humour anyway, heh.

              > I've heard this same reaction from my US and CA friends, and it ain't
              > necessarily so in similar Web discussion groups, in fact in most that
              > I have looked in on, including a good many that lay claim
              > to "professional" core membership. I look forward to reading, and
              > often re-reading, the posts, and JMD has added a great deal to my
              > latest foray into the Pliocene Saga and the Galactic Milieu. There is
              > so much still to discover in Julian May's brilliant work. My thanks
              > to all for keeping the campfires burning, for the wonderful home base
              > you have built for this latest Pliocene expedition (not the least for
              > the generous links page), and for sharing the fun.
              >
              > alix

              Well, every time I read JM's work I find something new - JM did
              mention in an interview that there were about 'six layers' (!!) to her
              work. I certainly found I had less tolerance to 'shallow' stories
              after I became hooked to her books....