Historic names? (Aiken/Felice/Mercy)

  • Alex Rathbone
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 31, 2003
      In the appendix of The Many-Coloured Land, May wrote that the names Aiken
      Drum, Felice Landry and Mercy Lamballe all had groundings in myth and
      legend. Aiken Drum, so I hear, can be traced back to the old Scottish poem
      "The Brownie of Blednoch", in which the wight Aiken, helpful though he was,
      was banished sneakily from the town of Blednoch by a wily old farmer's wife.
      (The name, of course, later found its way into Scottish and Canadian nursery
      rhymes.) However, I don't recall hearing (or seeing) the names Felice Landry
      and Mercy Lamballe before... does anyone have any idea as the the grounding
      of these names, or, indeed, of any other names in the Saga?
    • evrhett
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 1, 2003
        I did a Google search on your request for Mercy and the most
        frequent mention of the name, first and last name separate (maybe JM
        joined them together because she liked the sound of it?), was in
        relation to Marie Antionette and the French Revolution. Here is the
        link: http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marie_Antoinette

        It mentions a Mercy and later a Princess Lamballe.

        Maybe this is where JM got her idea for the name of her character
        and paralled the end of Queen Mercy-Rosmar (once again... I beat my
        chest with my fists and howl to the midnight sky..."WHY JULIAN???
        WHY DID YOU KILL HER OFF??????) with that of the Queen, Marie
        Antoinette. As Queens ruling a land in turmoil. Though in Mercy's
        case, her King killed her and in Marie's case the people beheaded
        her along with her husband, the King.

        Sigh...... Mercy.... I miss you... your Millenium Bryan.
      • jimc_hjones
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 2, 2003
          --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, "evrhett" <mnelson14@h...>
          wrote:

          > Sigh...... Mercy.... I miss you... your Millenium Bryan.

          After what she did to the original Bryan I'm suprised at your
          sympathy for the character. Seemed like what comes around goes around
          to me...

          JimC
        • evrhett
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 2, 2003
            Now now Jim.... we all have our flaws and I do admit to some
            disappointment at her treatment of the real Bryan but he knew what
            he was getting into, not that that makes it right. Aside from her
            lil' flaw of over devotion to Nodonn, I cannot help but think of the
            wonders her powers could have wraught and the amazing children she
            and Aiken could have borne if not for Aikens murderous temper
            tantrum.

            The Tanu and their Shadow Brethren I can understand meading out
            death to Low Lives with no guilt whatsoever, but the humans who come
            from the Galatic Milieu did come from an enlightened era that knew
            better and Aiken, as much as I admire him as well and the maturing
            of his character, is basically a murderer as well.... pretty much no
            better than Tony Wayland.

            Ahhh the beautiful enchantress is gone........... sigh.
          • Geoff Norfolk
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 3, 2003
              I rather think that 'La Belle dans san Merci' the lady without mercy, was a bit of a murderer herself..... (this is the historical/mythologic character the Mercy Lamballe is based on)

              She knew EXACTLY what effect her lovemaking to Bryan had on him, and was happily prepared to consign him to death either via sex or the Great Retort. Nice Lady!

              She was prepared to betray Aiken when something better came along (Nodonn). Yeah right.

              Like alot of the human Pliocene characters the lady was a user.

              Regards Helen

              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 3, 2003
                Quite Jim!

                The only historical reference I can think of for Felice is when she is traveling to the Grand Combat and takes on a fake Tanu identity as Lady Phyllis Morigel, a reference to the Celtic Raven of Death?

                Helen

                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 3, 2003
                  Yes Helen, I agree she was a user when it came to Bryan. And could
                  you fault her for returning to Nodonn when she found out he was
                  alive??? Who amongst us is not a user at one time or another? I
                  liked Bryan and you bring up a good point of how she was willing to
                  discard him to the Great Retort... BUT she really did not discard
                  him as much as she allowed the Thagdal to do that without putting up
                  much of a fuss. But I know she would have "sexed" him to death but
                  really, is that such a bad way to go????

                  Also, great contribution on where the names of Felice & Mercy may
                  have came from. I think yours far outshines what I found out.

                  Wish Julian May would honour us with her presence and answer some of
                  our queries.

                  Happy long weekend!
                • Maurice Thomas
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 4, 2003
                    Too right.  Morigel = Morrigan, representation of the ravens that always appeared for tasty eyeballs on battlefields. Felice is the maiden aspect of the death goddess of the Tuatha. She accompanies Nontusvel the Mother and Mayvar the Crone - though in MCL, of course, Mayvar also represents Maeve of Connacht, which is where it becomes puzzling.  Usually the triple aspected death deities are Morrigan, Macha and Bodb.  It is rather confusing, and wiser drunks than I have written volumes on the subject.

                    I'm also entirely "down", as I believe the phrase goes, with the parallel of Ms. Lamballe and "La Belle Dame sans Merci". There's even the pun that this particular woman is not "sans Mercy". Yuk yuk. Her Tanu name - Rosmar - crops up in British and Gaulish archaeology as "Rosmerta", where she's a fertility goddess. There's also a spot of the mother aspect of death in her - clarifying her position once Nonnie drrownded.

                    I was intrigued to read the origins of Aiken - I have no grounding in Scottish myths, but I'd be highly willing to believe that the mythos that yielded up the Dubh Sidhe also gave is a credible Aiken story. That said - he's pretty much CuChulainn in most respects, although he never actually steals any cows from Mayvar.

                    ElizaBoringBeth I cannot claim for mine own - it is merely a paraphrase of JM when she has Aiken call the farsensor "ElizaBabeBeth".  And I'm sure she is a babe - but for those of us who have ever played AD&D, it must be quite clear that Elizabeth was basically the one playing the Cleric.  Like Elrond in Lord of the Rings.

                    Cheers
                    Moz