Incest & Felice

  • evrhett
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 30, 2003
      ANOTHER point... it is strongly hinted (I think) that Felice's
      parents used her as sex toy. "A child of ingenoui" (pretty sure I
      spelt that phoneticly rather than corretly!).

      Once again.... all the incest - whassup with that???
    • Mike Vallender
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 30, 2003
        Hi Evrhett,

        We have discussed this in depth a couple of times, there are many references to child abuse in this book, and in many respects a major part of the story is a metaphor for this being:

        Fury = suppressed hate + anger in Denis regarding his own childhood abuse.

        Many of us on this list feel JM has a deep understanding of these issues, either by personal or close example, it would be something I would like to ask her if she were game to talk about it.

        What is sad is that there are many real life 'Felices', what is scary is that most of the predators look more like May's description of Denis than a Charles Manson.

        The really bad guys look harmless and are in places of responsibility, and they are not just priests.

        Kindest Regards
        Mike Vallender

        http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5510
        http://us.click.yahoo.com/GHXcIA/n.WGAA/ySSFAA/FIyolB/TM
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 30, 2003
          In a message dated 7/30/03 9:24:06 AM Pacific Daylight Time, mnelson14@... writes:

          ANOTHER point... it is strongly hinted (I think) that Felice's
          parents used her as sex toy.  "A child of ingenoui" (pretty sure I
          spelt that phoneticly rather than corretly!).

          Once again.... all the incest - whassup with that???

          I see it in two ways: a, as a Rasputin thing- greater sin/greater love; and b, as a mechanism of scale heroes of saintly mein (Jack and Diamond) and villains that are nasty dirty rotten (Marc, Vic, Patricia, Sharn & Ayfa...) and some who are a curious mixture (Denis/Fury)
        • Cleomadjai
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 31, 2003
            Maybe the incest theme is about choices and well as explaining why the characters were they way they were?  Several of the protagonists were abused sexually as children, but JM seems to want us to understand that as badly as this experience is warping, but the final decision rests with yourself - you choose to say 'yes' to evil/the dark side (take note Darth Vader).  Actually some of them were just warped to start with - Cull was considered dangerous even by Nodonn.  And what was Don's story - he got quite nasty when Rogi shut him out of his head when they were kids, and from then on, it was Cain and Abel with those two (Rogi showing his dark side too).  But I hasten to add, I am very fond of Uncle Rogi and think of him as family!

            Others in the stories were abused in other ways, for instance latent therapy is horrific - despite the claim that they redact the memory of pain away - or so they think.  But Marc remembered what the Krondaku did to him when they reamed him, so how effective is the redaction?  Maybe the human pyschie remembered the pain (conciously or not), and that is where alot of discontent with the Milieu stemmed from?  And their own selfish attitudes stem from - a need to protect the self?  In fact even Paul's attitude to putting himself about (procreating away merrily and not seeming to take any responsiblity for those he fathers or has sex with apart from Laura)  and humiliating Theresa was awful for some of their children.

             I just remembered Elizaboringbeth (I love that name) had to cause alot of pain to the black torc babies to 'heal' their neural pathways - so much so that the babies screamed when they recognized her  and she said that it was important that they see the painbringer without affection?

             Actually that takes us back to Felice and Cull, when through the torture and humiliation he visited on Felice, he actually released the last vestiges of latency - or something along those lines?  Have I remembered that right?  And she held him in deep affection after that.

            Cleo