Its all gone quiet

  • Geoff Norfolk
    Message 1 of 22 , Jun 25, 2003
      It's been very quiet these past few days....
      Is that because we are all busy reading our Harry Potter tome.....:-)

      ---
    • Ian J Greely
      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 25, 2003
        Finished that on Monday.

        Is it just me or is JK a better children's writer than adolescent's
        writer?

        Ian
        On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 22:28:40 +0100, you wrote:

        >It's been very quiet these past few days....
        >Is that because we are all busy reading our Harry Potter tome.....:-)
        >

        >---

        Ho Ho Ho, Green Greely.
        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 25, 2003
          On 25 Jun 2003 at 22:28, Geoff Norfolk wrote:

          > It's been very quiet these past few days....
          > Is that because we are all busy reading our Harry Potter tome.....:-)
          >
          > ---

          ......or rather, going back to re-read sections of it, having finished it on
          Sunday....<grin>

        • Tony Meyer
          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 25, 2003
            > Is it just me or is JK a better children's writer
            > than adolescent's writer?

            Is it me, or is she actually not all that great a writer, and is just
            lucky/a good marketer...

            Putting aside all the 'she made kids read again' stuff, surely it's apparent
            (especially in this list where one would think the members had some taste
            for good fantasy writing) that the books aren't that great? Even
            considering that they are children's books?

            =Tony Meyer
          • Gillian Riley
            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 25, 2003

              I don't think so.  Although all the WRITING IN CAPITALS became a  little hard on the eyes :).

              >From: Ian J Greely
              >To: Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: Re: [Julian-May-discuss] Its all gone quiet
              >Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 23:27:28 +0100
              >
              >Finished that on Monday.
              >
              >Is it just me or is JK a better children's writer than adolescent's
              >writer?
              >
              >Ian
              >On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 22:28:40 +0100, you wrote:
              >
              > >It's been very quiet these past few days....
              > >Is that because we are all busy reading our Harry Potter tome.....:-)
              > >

              > >---
              >
              >Ho Ho Ho, Green Greely.

              Hotmail now available on Australian mobile phones. Click here for more.
            • Ian J Greely
              Message 6 of 22 , Jun 25, 2003
                She is certainly a gifted marketer, but then I rather *like* the idea
                that bookish kids are now getting memorable *events* to have a memory
                of. Seems to me the jocks got all the "events" when I were a lad. OMMV

                I honestly believe that the first three books were magical. The
                child's eye view of the world was as good as Dahl at his best. Her use
                of repetition was masterful.

                Still, as the books head into adult territory the wonder is wearing
                thin. Though not a "bad" book, eminently readable.

                regards
                Ian

                On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 12:37:13 +1200, you wrote:

                >> Is it just me or is JK a better children's writer
                >> than adolescent's writer?
                >
                >Is it me, or is she actually not all that great a writer, and is just
                >lucky/a good marketer...
                >
                >Putting aside all the 'she made kids read again' stuff, surely it's apparent
                >(especially in this list where one would think the members had some taste
                >for good fantasy writing) that the books aren't that great? Even
                >considering that they are children's books?
                >
                >=Tony Meyer

                Ho Ho Ho, Green Greely.
              • Geoff Norfolk
                Message 7 of 22 , Jun 25, 2003
                  Having been dragged out at 12.05 a.m. Friday nite/Saturday morn, finished mine early Sunday morn.

                  'Gifted' is an interesting way to describe the marketing of these books! *big grin*

                  I'm with you Ian in thinking that the first three books were magical. I think the whole concept of a series of books that attempts to  grow with the reader base is a brilliant one. And despite all their faults the books are more than emminently readable.

                  JKR has set herself a very hard task here and is walking Occams razor. As the subject matter gets more darker I have found that alot of people are not enjoying the series so much. I wonder if that is because in their hearts people see it all as a bit of light hearted respite from day to day stuff and don't really like examining the emotional pain of loss,betrayal and despair.

                  I enjoy Richmal Crompton 'William' series when I want a bit of light reading. The character of William describes my second son Andrew (second name William!) to a T. However these stories suffer from the observation that they are all very similar and dont grow and go anywhere. William is always the same age, a bit like Bart Simpson.

                  Personally, hats of to the lady. I am always pleased when I see someone achieve good fortune. One thing I hate about living in the UK is the deeply nasty and distasteful British attitude of despising and belittling sucess. I have no time for envy.I have written creatively for years but would never publish...I couldnt stand all the crap that goes along with 'being a writer'.

                  As for the Potter books, Tony has it in a nutshell......great literature they ain't. However, I'm interested to see how she carries it forward. I can see a few parallels between the Harry Potter character and Frodo Baggins in Lord of the Rings. And speaking as a mum these books are great for children I have been able to have discussions concerning evil and personal choice, death and lose, bullying and cruelty among other topics arising from them reading these books. There...I've just gone a broken several rules concening the correct was to write!

                  Regards to you all,

                  Helen

                  She is certainly a gifted marketer, but then I rather *like* the idea
                  that bookish kids are now getting memorable *events* to have a memory
                  of. Seems to me the jocks got all the "events" when I were a lad. OMMV

                  I honestly believe that the first three books were magical. The
                  child's eye view of the world was as good as Dahl at his best. Her use
                  of repetition was masterful.

                  Still, as the books head into adult territory the wonder is wearing
                  thin. Though not a "bad" book, eminently readable.

                  regards
                  Ian

                  On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 12:37:13 +1200, you wrote:

                  >> Is it just me or is JK a better children's writer
                  >> than adolescent's writer?
                  >
                  >Is it me, or is she actually not all that great a writer, and is just
                  >lucky/a good marketer...
                  >
                  >Putting aside all the 'she made kids read again' stuff, surely it's apparent
                  >(especially in this list where one would think the members had some taste
                  >for good fantasy writing) that the books aren't that great?  Even
                  >considering that they are children's books?
                  >
                  >=Tony Meyer

                  Ho Ho Ho, Green Greely.

                  ---
                • Nicola Cairncross
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jun 26, 2003

                    So what makes her books not great then?  This is really interesting.

                    What specifically do you guys object to?  I love JM and I also really enjoy JKR.

                    Nicola

                    Nicola Cairncross
                    Wealth Coach

                    www.nicolacairncross.com
                    nicola@...

                    "The only difference between rich people and poor people is what they do in their sparetime" Robert Kiyosaki (Rich Dad, Poor Dad)

                    > Is it just me or is JK a better children's writer
                    > than adolescent's writer?

                    Is it me, or is she actually not all that great a writer, and is just
                    lucky/a good marketer...

                    Putting aside all the 'she made kids read again' stuff, surely it's apparent
                    (especially in this list where one would think the members had some taste
                    for good fantasy writing) that the books aren't that great?  Even
                    considering that they are children's books?

                    =Tony Meyer

                    ---
                    Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

                    ---

                  • Geoff Norfolk
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jun 26, 2003
                      Hi Nicola,

                      I reckon that in years to come the Harry Potter stuff will be seen as 'great literature'. Just like D.H Lawrence wasn't recognised in his day alot of people critise and belittle JKR's efforts. I find them more readable than say Joseph Conrad or Tolstoy.They are more readable to me than Charles Dickens and yet I like his work. For me, great literature is a cracking good story told in such a way that it hooks into my imagination which Mr. Potter et. al. cetainly do. I am always sad that JM's Pliocene and Mileu sagas are not more widely recognised.

                      I think that alot of people, myself included, object to all the marketing crap that goes along with Harry Potter. JKR does herself. I read in a newspaper article this morning that she had blocked the sale of Harry Potter potties and Moaning Myrtle toilet seats!!!!!! It was also stated that although 30 percent of her money had come from merchandising, that that was the part of the whole business she hated most and would gladly not have the money if she could make this aspect of Harry Potter go away!

                      Message 10 of 22 , Jun 26, 2003
                        Ian...I am ignorant here...explain OMMV to me please

                        Regards, Helen
                        She is certainly a gifted marketer, but then I rather *like* the idea
                        that bookish kids are now getting memorable *events* to have a memory
                        of. Seems to me the jocks got all the "events" when I were a lad. OMMV

                        I honestly believe that the first three books were magical. The
                        child's eye view of the world was as good as Dahl at his best. Her use
                        of repetition was masterful.

                        Still, as the books head into adult territory the wonder is wearing
                        thin. Though not a "bad" book, eminently readable.

                        regards
                        Ian

                        On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 12:37:13 +1200, you wrote:

                        >> Is it just me or is JK a better children's writer
                        >> than adolescent's writer?
                        >
                        >Is it me, or is she actually not all that great a writer, and is just
                        >lucky/a good marketer...
                        >
                        >Putting aside all the 'she made kids read again' stuff, surely it's apparent
                        >(especially in this list where one would think the members had some taste
                        >for good fantasy writing) that the books aren't that great?  Even
                        >considering that they are children's books?
                        >
                        >=Tony Meyer

                        Ho Ho Ho, Green Greely.

                        ---
                      • Maurice Thomas
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jun 26, 2003
                          Phoenix has me stumped. I entirely agree with Ian's point that Rowling is a better children's writer, since I rather get the feeling that Harry is still twelve. He has flashes of adolescence - when he refers to Professor Snape as just plain Snape, and the way he's continually having pointless arguments with people that love him, but his unwillingness to flout authority - even authority that is ridiculously applied - is very much 'younger' than any fifth year I've ever met. I think wur JK would have been well advised to invite Jacqueline Wilson up to Morningside for a few beers before embarking on this one.

                          However, as ever there's no fault to be found in the detail, which is still marvellous. I love all the background she's created - Diagon Alley, Port-Keys, Floo Powder, rules of Apparation, the concept of a wizarding syllabus, the fact that something is going on outside the purview of the main characters - and the way she's now able to call upon the previous books to throw up surprises in the path of all but the most attentive readers. I also very much enjoy the rubbish latin used for the spells, and I have to admit I found myself muttering "wingardium leviosa" at the point where Harry is doing his exams and trying to remember the troll-clobbering charm. It also makes me cheer every time the death-eaters are brought in, since there's one called Nott, and I have a friend called Nott, who is appropriately tall, gangly, evil, and fond of steepling his fingers, but seemingly unwilling to read the Potter books - so that gives me unlimited material for a chucklesome in-joke with my Potter-reading buddies.

                          But when Fred and George upped and left Hogwarts, so should have a large number of their fellow students. I was having great difficulty in working out what Harry was still doing there. Take away Quidditch, forbid him from communicating with his god-parent, remove his headmaster and his best adult friend, and what does he have left ?  Then subject him to child abuse (I don't know how else to describe making him repeatedly cut up his own hand) and I can't see why he wouldn't simply turn to his headmistress and hurt her.  As Helen says, there are a lot of issues brought up concerning the nature of 'evil', and the moralities of personal choice, but to expect us to believe that Harry would remain Buddha-like in the face of such personal torture is to give greater credit than can be given to any normal person in that situation. He's just a kid, yet he is subjected to unspeakable cruelties - he must surely lash out.

                          Then again, JK is bang on with his fumbling attempts to get off with Cho, and with the burgeoning marriage between Ron and Hermione. I want to know when it's going to be poor Ron's time in the sun. Even when he wins the quidditch season for Gryffindor, he is forced to do it off-camera whilst Harry and Hermione are off in the forest setting up the horrifically contrived maguffin for getting rid of the headmistress. And even then, he's just the goalie - his sister Ginny is the one who actually wins the match. In a prior book there's a spot of well-written resentment where Ron kicks over the traces in protest at being constantly in Harry's shadow, yet being made a prefect and getting onto the quidditch team seem to have relegated him even further into the shadows, and he does less in the denouement than new character Luna Lovegood - who I found kind of sexy since I was at school with her exact double and we sort of kissed a few times. But that's another story. Ron is far more honestly written than is Harry.

                          Then again I found myself cheering when Harry used "crucio" on Bellatrix LeStrange - thank god, the little bugger's finally learning to play dirty, I thought, though as was pointed out, he didn't do the curse particularly well, since he wasn't going to enjoy causing her pain. Now, sorry, JK, but if anyone killed my god-father in front of me, I would take great vengeful pleasure in reducing their legs to pulp with a sledgehammer. I don't consider myself particularly evil, but in extremis we are all capable of murder. It's premeditation that makes the act evil, not the experiencing of pleasure whilst exacting revenge on the spur of the moment. It's like young Mullet Skywalker killing all the sandpeople in Attack of the Clowns. They've just tortured, raped and killed his mum. Therefore wiping out their encampment is NOT an evil act - it's not even a CONSCIOUS act. Are you LISTENING, Lucas ???   Morality plays - I've shit them.

                          Sorry about that. Chill pill consumed. The only other problem I have with this book is that I now have to wait another god knows how long until I get to read the book I was promised at the end of Goblet of Fire. Snape was going to go in 'on the black' and spy on the death eaters, Hagrid was going to see the giants (okay, he did, but she turned that into an episode of Laurel and Hardy, rather than Funeral in Berlin), and Dumbledore was going to declare war on Voldemort. Instead, we have seven hundred and fifty pages which basically serve to remind us that Voldemort is really rather a bad hat, and Malfoy Sr. is his best mate. And just to strengthen the idea that Harry is alone in an uncaring universe, we're going to take away another of the few sparks of light that make his existence worthwhile. Yes, Joanne, we UNDERSTAND that Voldemort is evil. We know that Harry must kill him. Harry killed him in book one. Harry is quite capable of committing murder when needs must - and in the case of Voldemort it wouldn't be murder anyway. We know. Which makes it doubly baffling why Harry, Ron and Hermione don't just push Malfoy, Crabbe and Goyle off the train each summer whilst they are going home.

                          But that leads me neatly back to another one of the reasons why I like the book, namely the discovery that Harry's dad was an utter arsehole. It lends a degree of humanity to the otherwise Jesus-like Potter to find out that his dad was a worthless bully, and that it is entirely his fault that Snape found himself willing to join the death-eaters. I enjoy the character of the arch, sarcastic teacher who probably considers the school would work far more efficiently if there weren't all these children cluttering up the place. To find that he was turned into a cynic by Harry's dad is a delicious ironic twist, and it stands as a comforting shade of grey in the face of the otherwise "cowboys and indians" black and white of the Dumbledore vs Voldemort rivalry. So bravo for that.

                          Some readers have been really over-zealous in their dismissal of this book. I don't think it's a patch on earlier items - Prisoner of Azkaban was superbly dark (and didn't have a face-off with Voldemort at the end, which is a GOOD THING) - but it's not a bad read by any stretch of the imagination. She does a lot of the real-world stuff very well indeed, like exam stress; I guess the only real problem is that it doesn't actually add anything to the story arc. That doesn't matter, though, since characters like Ron and Hermione and Neville and MacGonagall are wonderfully well-observed, and comfy old friends that one can return to without expecting them to jump hoops ALL the time.

                          If it were an Arthur Ransome story, it would be Secret Water. It doesn't lend any progress to the mythos, and it's a bit odd - but all the main ingredients are in place.  By no means is it as bad as "We Didn't Mean to go to Sea", but then it ain't no "Winter Holiday", neither.

                          And on that doubtless baffling note, I'll shut up.

                          Cheers
                          Maurice

                          She is certainly a gifted marketer, but then I rather *like* the idea
                          that bookish kids are now getting memorable *events* to have a memory
                          of. Seems to me the jocks got all the "events" when I were a lad. OMMV

                          I honestly believe that the first three books were magical. The
                          child's eye view of the world was as good as Dahl at his best. Her use
                          of repetition was masterful.

                          Still, as the books head into adult territory the wonder is wearing
                          thin. Though not a "bad" book, eminently readable.

                          regards
                          Ian

                          On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 12:37:13 +1200, you wrote:

                          >> Is it just me or is JK a better children's writer
                          >> than adolescent's writer?
                          >
                          >Is it me, or is she actually not all that great a writer, and is just
                          >lucky/a good marketer...
                          >
                          >Putting aside all the 'she made kids read again' stuff, surely it's apparent
                          >(especially in this list where one would think the members had some taste
                          >for good fantasy writing) that the books aren't that great?  Even
                          >considering that they are children's books?
                          >
                          >=Tony Meyer

                          Ho Ho Ho, Green Greely.

                          ---

                        • AerospaceAge Warrior
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jun 26, 2003
                            I'm sorry.

                            GREAT LITERATURE?  Nothing personal Geoff.. but I couldn't disagree more.

                            The woman spins a good yarn but these are childrens' books.  This isn't Hermann Hesse, or DH Lawrence. Or

                            Sorry, I just don't buy it.  In 100 yrs the Potter series MIGHT be remembered .. maybe.

                            Great literature wins Pulitzer prizes.

                            Ill stand corrected when when JKR wins a major literary (not marketing) award.

                            And for the record I am a HUGE fan of her books.

                            Mike

                            If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

                            -- Vince Lombardi

                            Message 13 of 22 , Jun 26, 2003
                              Not sure that literature needs to be all up istelf like Herman Hesse in order to be great. Give me P.G.Wodehouse any day - the man was a superb writer, yet because he was funny he wasn't allowed to be art. On the other hand, there is little in this world more dull than Thomas Hardy, yet his drivel is required reading these days at schools the length and breadth of the country.

                              As for "the woman spins a good yarn but these are children's books".  Er, what does that mean ?  Where is it written that only books designed to be read by grownups are entitled to be high art ?  Let's see if the late Ted Hughes, poet Laureate, wrote "The Iron Giant", shall we  ?   He did, did he ?   A children's book - by a poet Laureate ?  Goodness me !  The lit police must be informed and exhume Sylvia Plath so she can give her main squeeze a good old ticking off in the after-life.  For SHAME !

                              I think it's also worth remembering that "Five Children and It" was written a hundred and one years ago. Of course Rowling will be remembered in 2103.

                              The Pulitzer prize is more or less always awarded to American authors, so its validity is deeply questionable. Indeed, when in 1991, John Updike received the award for his "Rabbit at Rest", I remember thinking that my own review, entitled "What a Big Pile of Wank - I Fell Asleep Twice", must have been somewhat at odds with the views of the people on the Pulitzer committee.  Carol Shields' "Stone Diaries" won the Pulitzer in 1995, and while it is a clever faux-fiction, it is nowhere near the book that "Northern Lights" by Philip Pullman is - yet that didn't pass the Pulitzer jury's eyes because it was WRITTEN FOR CHILDREN.  Allow me to exclaim - what a bucket of arse.

                              It is of course important to consider that there will always be a small niche for people who disapprove of Lord of the Rings being voted the best work of fiction ever written; however, it is also worth considering that the seven or eight people who award the Booker prize every year, whilst clearly clever people, are not actually clever enough to realise that a) Salman Rushdie is a hideous, tedious old twat, and b) they are in a HUGE minority when deciding what is good writing and what is not. The idea that literature is something that is beyond a children's author is absolutely repellent to me.

                              The problem is susceptible of a simple reduction - the difference between popularity and cleverness.  JK Rowling may never write a "clever" book, but since she is already more famous than Dickens, and she writes books, I'd say that she's probably entitled to a place in the history of literature. Even if the doors of "clever" literature never open to her.

                              Here's hoping she never bothers.

                              Maurice

                              Message 14 of 22 , Jun 26, 2003
                                On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 12:26:08 +0100, you wrote:

                                >Ian...I am ignorant here...explain OMMV to me please
                                >
                                >Regards, Helen

                                OMMV Others milage may vary
                                YMMV Your milage may vary.

                                regards
                                Ian
                                Ho Ho Ho, Green Greely.
                              • Geoff Norfolk
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jun 26, 2003
                                  Quick check of the old body here! (LOL)

                                  Well I think it's great! But then I dont like alot of what passes for "great literature".

                                  Regards, Helen(least I was when I check a second ago!!!)

[...]

                                • PJH
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jun 26, 2003
                                    Geoff Norfolk wrote:

                                    [snip]
                                    > I enjoy Richmal Crompton 'William' series when I want a bit of light
                                    > reading. The character of William describes my second son Andrew
                                    > (second name William!) to a T. However these stories suffer from the
                                    > observation that they are all very similar and dont grow and go
                                    > anywhere. William is always the same age, a bit like Bart Simpson.
                                    [snip]

                                    I've been here (on the list) a while, but this is my first post to the
                                    list; since you've all been going off topic with other authors, I'd be
                                    interested in hearing opinions about David (and Leigh of course! <g>)
                                    Eddings, and Hugh Cook.

                                    JM, along with D(L)E and HC have been the only authors who have actually
                                    persuaded me to buy whole series' of books, and I still re-read them;
                                    yet I've seen disparaging remarks elsewhere about them (esp. Eddings.)

                                    Anyone read the others' series with an opinion?

                                    --
                                    PJH

                                    Copulate - The time it takes a policeman to show up in an emergency
                                  • Ian J Greely
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jun 26, 2003
                                      On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 11:31:55 +0100, you wrote:

                                      >So what makes her books not great then? This is really interesting.
                                      >
                                      >What specifically do you guys object to? I love JM and I also really
                                      >enjoy JKR.
                                      >
                                      >Nicola

                                      Not wanting to be I nay sayer I want to clarify my position.

                                      The first three books are utterly charming. The movies suffer from
                                      having child actors in them, the characters in the books are eminently
                                      more likeable.

                                      The fourth book started to veer towards darker matter and did so in a
                                      way that was totally engrossing.

                                      This latest tome is not of the same order as the earlier books. That's
                                      not a damning indictment as the first three books are SO outstanding.

                                      I have no doubt that were I twelve and read this latest book I should
                                      find it utterly absorbing.

                                      The final two books I will read when they arrive but I really hope
                                      that Ms Rowling writes some more childrens books as the earlier books
                                      are so vibrant. Personally I like to be reminded of how I saw the
                                      world when I was a child. My adult view is rather less colourful.

                                      Good luck to JK and I have very great respect for a woman who insisted
                                      that the movies were not destroyed by a conversion to an American
                                      setting. Respect to anyone who manages to stare down a blank page.

                                      regards,
                                      Ian
                                      Ho Ho Ho, Green Greely.
                                    • Kate Dungan
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jun 26, 2003

                                        Mike,

                                        I'm inclined to say that HP is great kids literature.  Juvenile Lit is a whole different subject than your regular fiction...kind of a training ground for appreciation of a wider varity of reading.  I think Harry will be remembered for many, many years...think about The Hardy Boys, Little Women, Wizard of Oz, Narnia, Alice In Wonderland, etc.

                                        Also, anytime you can get anyone as enthused about a book as kids ( and adults) are about Harry, you've got a winner.  I like books that push the limits of imagination, that make kids come back into the library asking for more, that makes kids  like to read.  That's Harry Potter to the nines!

                                        Kate oDubh

                                      • AbyssAngyl@aol.com
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jun 26, 2003
                                          Well well well.... My excuse is that:
                                          1. Wife found a copy of  Phoenix at a Sacto wally world and since we were taking a 'family trip' from Bay area to Sacto and back to bay atea (Great America- <discount tix>) and back to Sacto to drop off a relative who was visiting from the east coast... Wife offered to read aloud to me on the trip back from Sacramento as compensatinn for being the designated driver (and to keep her eyes off the road and her comments about my driving... ... ... ) Said wife (saw both movies- made kids read all the books but didnt open a one of them to read herself) after reading the first 80 or so pages made off with the book and the only time I could sneak a peek was when SHE was asleep or I could sneak the book into the biffy (thats water closet for those across the pond) WIFE is now a confirmed POTTERHEAD!
                                          2. While Wife is depriving her husband of his potter fix despite Sirius withdrawl symptoms the freaquing computer freaks up and the wireless mouse dies... fix mouse... keyboard dies... reinstall DOORS no dice... cant get online to upgrade drivers... no keyboard! FREAK! Buy new wired keyboard and fix computer because wife gotta do work at home... this is the hard part because:
                                          3. Two suspicious arrive in the mail today while I am at work with ANOTHER machine installation not as bad as the week prior thank favorite diety.... suspicious packages were the pre release purchase of  HP-PHOENIX that finally arrived,,, and the HP-PHOENIX UK adult version (MINE DAMMITT) now I have my own personal copy keep yer grubby paws off thank youse! I still have a computer that wants fixing with a large blunt object. Only reason I'm online is that AOHell is one of the required programs to install and I took time out to wade through 92 offers for pirated software, soft porn, and hardon extensions, and 'other' things...
                                          4. Am I going to get to read anything tonight, or am I gonna open the book and drool in my beard... guess which is more likely...
                                          5. To add injury to insults... while I was putting the final touches on installing a little (77 ton) Arburg injection molding machine and figuring out where to hang things neatly like the air blast electric valve,  which I had to take apart to make it fit correctly... I manage to rip half of my left thumbnail off! I was somewhat hampered in my verbal expression  by the presence of two female machine operators. (They probably couldnt understand much of what I say because they speak Punjabi and Spanish)... but I still consider it poor form to use extreme vulgarities in the presence therof. oh well ce le brie or sumpin like that...  weekend is coming and I pity the fool that bothers me then!
                                        • Mike Vallender
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jun 27, 2003

                                            My excuse is that I have started full time work again J

                                            I got made an offer I couldn’t refuse, I still have my other ventures going, just working a little harder now.

                                            Hope everyone is doing well,

                                            Cheers

                                            Mike

                                            Message 21 of 22 , Jun 30, 2003
                                              > I've been here (on the list) a while, but this is my first post to
                                              the list; since you've all been going off topic with other authors,
                                              I'd be interested in hearing opinions about David (and Leigh of
                                              course! <g>) Eddings, and Hugh Cook.

                                              > JM, along with D(L)E and HC have been the only authors who have
                                              actually persuaded me to buy whole series' of books, and I still re-
                                              read them; yet I've seen disparaging remarks elsewhere about them
                                              (esp. Eddings.)

                                              > Anyone read the others' series with an opinion?

                                              Well, I've plowed through the Belgariad (repeatedly), the Malloreon
                                              (repeatedly), the Elenium (thrice) the Tamuli (twice), Belgarath
                                              (repeatedly), Polgara (thrice) and the Rivan Codex (once - D & L's
                                              collected musings, development, etc for the Belgariad and Malloreon).

                                              As for the opinions:

                                              Belgariad - My introduction to David and (alebit uncredited) Leigh's
                                              stuff - compelling, compulsive pageturners the entire lot - that
                                              doesn't fade upon repeat after repeat - fave bit : Garion VS Burnt-
                                              Face in Cthol Mishrak in the final book, 'Enchanter's End Game'.

                                              We have Lester Del Rey to thank for the chess influenced titles.

                                              Malloreon - Leading on from the motley crew's misadventures in the
                                              Belgariad. To sum up, the Dark Prophecy is alive and still kicking -
                                              Torak biting it didn't finish things. Still compulsive, compelling
                                              pageturners. Favorite bit - Ce'Nedra reappropriating the carriage
                                              that Silk had obtained in 'Demon Lord of Karanda'.

                                              Elenium - It was on the bookshelf, so I read it. Ho hum. Had
                                              nothing better to read. Picked up towards the end of the third book.

                                              Belgarath The Sorceror - Oscillating between hilarity and tragedy
                                              (Poledra's "death" and 'Grat's (to use Grul's version of the Eternal
                                              Man's name) reaction to same being an example of latter) , this
                                              filled in a lot of the backstory from the self-admittedly biased
                                              viewpoint of someone who had caused most of said backstory. If
                                              you've read any book of either the Belgariad or Malloreon, a must
                                              read.

                                              Polgara The Sorceress - Vo Wacune's fall had me in tears. Luckily
                                              for my hide, none of same landed on the book. Filled in even more of
                                              the backstory, from a different POV. Like Belgarath, a must read.

                                              The Rivan Codex - Read this because once I read a series, I GOTTA
                                              know the ENTIRE backstory. Real inneresting tid bits.
                                            • mrgrub_au
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Jun 30, 2003
                                                > I've been here (on the list) a while, but this is my first post to
                                                the list; since you've all been going off topic with other authors,
                                                I'd be interested in hearing opinions about David (and Leigh of
                                                course! <g>) Eddings, and Hugh Cook.

                                                > JM, along with D(L)E and HC have been the only authors who have
                                                actually persuaded me to buy whole series' of books, and I still re-
                                                read them; yet I've seen disparaging remarks elsewhere about them
                                                (esp. Eddings.)

                                                > Anyone read the others' series with an opinion?

                                                Well, I've plowed through the Belgariad (repeatedly), the Malloreon
                                                (repeatedly), the Elenium (thrice) the Tamuli (twice), Belgarath
                                                (repeatedly), Polgara (thrice) and the Rivan Codex (once - D & L's
                                                collected musings, development, etc for the Belgariad and Malloreon).

                                                As for the opinions:

                                                Belgariad - My introduction to David and (alebit uncredited) Leigh's
                                                stuff - compelling, compulsive pageturners the entire lot - that
                                                doesn't fade upon repeat after repeat - fave bit : Garion VS Burnt-
                                                Face in Cthol Mishrak in the final book, 'Enchanter's End Game'.

                                                We have Lester Del Rey to thank for the chess influenced titles.

                                                Malloreon - Leading on from the motley crew's misadventures in the
                                                Belgariad. To sum up, the Dark Prophecy is alive and still kicking -
                                                Torak biting it didn't finish things. Still compulsive, compelling
                                                pageturners. Favorite bit - Ce'Nedra reappropriating the carriage
                                                that Silk had obtained in 'Demon Lord of Karanda'.

                                                Elenium - It was on the bookshelf, so I read it. Ho hum. Had
                                                nothing better to read. Picked up towards the end of the third book.

                                                Belgarath The Sorceror - Oscillating between hilarity and tragedy
                                                (Poledra's "death" and 'Grat's (to use Grul's version of the Eternal
                                                Man's name) reaction to same being an example of latter) , this
                                                filled in a lot of the backstory from the self-admittedly biased
                                                viewpoint of someone who had caused most of said backstory. If
                                                you've read any book of either the Belgariad or Malloreon, a must
                                                read.

                                                Polgara The Sorceress - Vo Wacune's fall had me in tears. Luckily
                                                for my hide, none of same landed on the book. Filled in even more of
                                                the backstory, from a different POV. Like Belgarath, a must read.

                                                The Rivan Codex - Read this because once I read a series, I GOTTA
                                                know the ENTIRE backstory. Real inneresting tid bits.

                                                Tamuli - After the finish to the Elenium, this was a let down.