Creativity viz Aiken Drum

  • Geoff Norfolk
    Message 1 of 2 , May 13 6:18 AM
      Thirteen year old son Chris says hi and has a question for the group. He's part way thru TGT and has encountered the passage where Aiken and Raimo go for a little jaunt as butterflies/birds and end up wrecking a Tanu dock. He has also read about the Daelbeth quest and its description of Aiken and Stein flitting into the caves as bats. What he wants to know is when Aiken 'transforms' himself into a bird/bat/butterfly/whatever, is the change real or an illusion? I thought that these were illusory bodies however I'm currently re-reading TA and there is a passage near the beginning when Yoshi,Jim and Vilkas nearly shoot Aiken out of the sky with a large superzapper as their spotterscope registers him as some kind of bird if prey.  It is mentioned that the object they have spotted only has the mass of a bird. If the body is only an illusory then the illusion extends to other senses as well as sight.

      Any thoughts?

      Helen
    • not_so_bright_lugonn
      Message 2 of 2 , May 13 5:16 PM
        This has always been a subject which has mystified me: I think that
        the forms they assume are illusory especially the butterflies in TGT
        as Aiken is at that point in his development relatively wet behind
        the ears in the use of his armamentrium, and his wattage is still
        relatively low as he is at the beginning of his journey to
        metapsychic giant. On the dalbaeth quest I feel that the bodies are
        still illusory, but what confuses me is the way he describes using
        the bats sonar to "see" and the eyeless fishes ability to feel the
        currents and eddies etc...this tends to suggest they have assumed the
        forms of the animals, mind you Julian describes them eating bugs to
        assuage the hunger of their "phantom stomachs" plants the seeds that
        they are less than real, maybe quasi-illusory?

        The IR spotterscope on the zapper at Goriah? (been a few years since
        I read these) worked on bodyheat, the illusion of the golden falcon
        projected by Aik could extend into the invisible end of the spectrum
        as well as visible light, uv ir etc...thus fooling the spotterscope
        into thinking he was a bird.

        I don't doubt that Aik was up to the task of rearranging matter to
        change his physical form once he assimilated his subsumed
        metafaculties from Mercy and Noddon but prior to that I feel that it
        would be far more likely that the assumed forms were illusory. The
        genuine creation of matter as performed by Mercy with the Kraal at
        the manifestaion of powers against Aluteyn was pretty rare amongst
        Creators (mind you that was by Tanu standards who had nothing to
        compare with the Mileu paramounts) and probably beyond Aikens
        capabilities. When you haVE Aiks quotient of raw cunning a little bit
        of chicanery goes a long way - perception is reality.

        Grant

        --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, "Geoff Norfolk"