Re: Marc/Unifex Spotting

  • Robert Powell
    Message 1 of 18 , May 1, 2003
      I always found that character's "is he / isn't he?" bit of the books
      annoying - It's one thing to make up an identity, but to take over
      the identity of someone who exists, would lead to a lot of "It
      wasn't me!" denials at a later time.

      That and the whole Fury storyline still strikes me as inelegant,
      compared to the rest of JM's milieu/exiles writing, even several
      readings later.

      Bob

      --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, "Maurice Thomas"
      <mozzer@m...> wrote:
      > Some of the time. He's kind of a maguffin to introduce Teilhardian
      concepts
      > to the reader, imho, since he doesn't actually DO anything.
      >
      > Don't let's forget M.A. Paulson, the big old giveaway of a Swedish
      professor
      > that chats up Lucille when Denis is getting his gong from the
      Nobel mob.

      > Maurice

      Service.
    • Gillian Riley
      Message 2 of 18 , May 1, 2003

        Hi I'm new to the group, and I just wanted to say that my favourite Mark moment has to be the dude who talks to Lucille at the nobel presentation.  Only because you don't realise it until the second read, and pick up on the reference in his name :).

        Gill

        MSN Instant Messenger now available on Australian mobile phones. Find our more.
      • Jabberwocky1469
        Message 3 of 18 , May 2, 2003
          ...I agree, I think JM is using Marc/Unifex a little
          too much as a deux ex machina to solve things....
          --- Robert Powell <pallol@...> escribió: >
          I always found that character's "is he / isn't he?"
          > bit of the books
          > annoying - It's one thing to make up an identity,
          > but to take over
          > the identity of someone who exists, would lead to a
          > lot of "It
          > wasn't me!" denials at a later time.
          >
          > That and the whole Fury storyline still strikes me
          > as inelegant,
          > compared to the rest of JM's milieu/exiles writing,
          > even several
          > readings later.
          >
          > Bob

        • Robert Powell
          Message 4 of 18 , May 2, 2003
            Hi Gill

            welcome to the group - we've gone a little quiet of late, but don't
            let that worry you, we'll start throwing our opinions again sometime
            soon. At which point feel free to join in, but in the meantime my
            suggestion is to have a delve through the archives and if you want
            to pick up a thread go for it, we've covered so much old ground
            here, but have treasured every footstep and we'll happily go over
            that ground again with you. :-)

            Regards

            Bob
          • William H. Hsu
            Message 5 of 18 , May 10, 2003
              --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, "Nicolette Lewer"
              <nicolel@i...> wrote:

              > The scene where AU danced with Adrienne is one of my favourite
              > scenes for his bittersweetness. There was a feeling that though he
              > couldn't prevent her death, then at least he would make the ball
              > enjoyable for her.....

              Indeed.

              I liked his cameo as "Ewan Cameron", the old Scotsman who runs into
              little 5-year-old Dee on the transport to Caledonia, and who bestows
              her with the "angel" (a subconscious MP program [*]).

              Long ago in the heyday of MILIEU-L, we noticed that the given name
              pronounced "U.N." cf. UNifex and that anagrams of CAMERON included
              EON MARC, NEO MARC, and ONE MARC.

              [*] Amusing and ironic that in computer science, we call such
              background processes "daemons". :-)

              High thoughts,
              Banazir
            • Rosemary
              Message 6 of 18 , May 11, 2003
                William H. Hsu wrote:

                > Long ago in the heyday of MILIEU-L, we noticed that the given name
                > pronounced "U.N." cf. UNifex and that anagrams of CAMERON included
                > EON MARC, NEO MARC, and ONE MARC.

                Bill, it's nice to see you! I was JUST thinking about you in this past week,
                because I remembered your quiz you had written, and the significance of Ewan
                Cameron's name was on there. I never saw the answer and every single time
                I've re-read, I've been wondering and wondering about that.

                Welcome to the list, and thank you for clearing up one of my life's small
                mysteries!

                -Rosemary
              • William H. Hsu
                Message 7 of 18 , May 11, 2003
                  --- Rosemary farspoke:
                  > Bill noticed:

                  >> Long ago in the heyday of MILIEU-L, we noticed that the given
                  >> name pronounced "U.N." cf. UNifex and that anagrams of CAMERON
                  >> included EON MARC, NEO MARC, and ONE MARC.
                  >
                  > Bill, it's nice to see you!

                  Nice to see you, too! Did we meet on MILIEU-L? Or was it in ABJM?

                  > I was JUST thinking about you in this
                  > past week, because I remembered your quiz you had written, and the
                  > significance of Ewan Cameron's name was on there.
                  > I never saw the answer and every single time I've re-read, I've
                  > been wondering and wondering about that.

                  Which quiz was this?
                  (Sorry, it's been about 8 years since I last posted to MILIEU-L and
                  my memorecall is a bit wonky after my mind-reaming at the hands of
                  the Krondak eva^H^H^HPh.D. dissertation committee.)

                  > Welcome to the list, and thank you for clearing up one of my
                  > life's small mysteries!

                  You're most welcome.
                  If I may ask, is Rosemary your RL name as I guess, or is it adopted
                  from Mercy's Tanu name?

                  -Bill
                • Rosemary
                  Message 8 of 18 , May 11, 2003
                    William H. Hsu wrote:

                    > Which quiz was this?
                    > (Sorry, it's been about 8 years since I last posted to MILIEU-L and
                    > my memorecall is a bit wonky after my mind-reaming at the hands of
                    > the Krondak eva^H^H^HPh.D. dissertation committee.)

                    I was just a lurker on Milieu-L, but I am pretty sure you put together a
                    10-or-so trivia quiz question game. I think I actually recall one of the
                    questions was about mentions of Johns Hopkins in the series, and another was
                    about Maddy's birthday gift to Jack. I think you're right about it being at
                    least 8 years ago so I am sort of shocked that I remember it at all, LOL!
                    The one about Ewan Cameron really stuck in my mind because I never did learn
                    the answer.

                    It would be fun to dig that out of the archives (if they still exist) and
                    see if we can answer the questions. It would be doubly interesting to see if
                    YOU could answer the questions you wrote after all this time! :-)

                    > If I may ask, is Rosemary your RL name as I guess, or is it adopted
                    > from Mercy's Tanu name?

                    It's my real name. I'm not creative (LOL!) enough to come up with an
                    interesting alter ego for online.

                    -Rosemary
                  • William H. Hsu
                    Message 9 of 18 , May 11, 2003
                      Rosemary welcomed:
                      > Bill popped back through the superficies:
                      >
                      >> Which quiz was this?
                      >> (Sorry, it's been about 8 years since I last posted to MILIEU-L
                      >> and my memorecall is a bit wonky after my mind-reaming at the
                      >> hands of the Krondak eva^H^H^HPh.D. dissertation committee.)
                      >
                      > I was just a lurker on Milieu-L, but I am pretty sure you put
                      > together a 10-or-so trivia quiz question game.

                      By the Prime Entelechy!
                      Someone actually remembers those quizzes from 1994?
                      I think we were all still trying to plausibly deny or explain away
                      the last line of DM back then...

                      How've you been, BTW?

                      > I think I actually recall one of the questions was about mentions
                      > of Johns Hopkins in the series

                      Let's see...

                      - Shig Morita had a degree from JHU IIRC
                      - Gregory Prentice-Brown (Crazy Greggy) was a Hopkins bio prof (very
                      amusing in this heyday of bioinformatics and functional genomics
                      research)

                      > and another was about Maddy's birthday gift to Jack.

                      A "weighty treatise on CE"... am I right? :-)
                      (Hehe... I reread the GM trilogy last summer, besides which, I still
                      have many a neuron dedicated to JtB.)

                      > I think you're right about it being at least 8 years ago so I am
                      > sort of shocked that I remember it at all, LOL!

                      LOL, I think the Lylmik have been busy implanting Schron Loops (or
                      was that from Hyperion? ;-)).

                      > The one about Ewan Cameron really stuck in my mind because I never
                      > did learn the answer.
                      >
                      > It would be fun to dig that out of the archives (if they still
                      > exist) and see if we can answer the questions. It would be doubly
                      > interesting to see if YOU could answer the questions you wrote
                      > after all this time! :-)

                      Hahahah...
                      Indeed. I'll check the archives later this week.

                      >> If I may ask, is Rosemary your RL name as I guess, or is it
                      >> adopted from Mercy's Tanu name?
                      > It's my real name. I'm not creative (LOL!) enough to come up with
                      > an interesting alter ego for online.

                      These days I go by the moniker "Banazir the Jedi Hobbit", but I am
                      still partial to `Ti-Ban' for obvious reasons.

                      --
                      Ti-Ban