Rampart series

  • nicolel@iconz.co.nz
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2000
      Hi Niall,

      >I have to say that Intervention is my favourite JM
      >book, I love the fact that Rogi while not being the
      >greatest meta in the world, is the key person in the
      >book, by virtue of his being the conduit of the family
      >ghost. In fact without Rogi no intervention, no time
      >gate, no Marc, no anything.
      >
      >He's almost an accidental hero, he's definitely
      >grudgingly a hero.

      >Even though Perseus Spur is the first book and does
      >link to Orion Arm, the story threads from first book
      >to second do not affect the plot of Orion Arm greatly.
      >The Rampart Novels are a series, but they do stand on
      >their own. I think the books should be called "The
      >continuing adventures of Helly Hansen". Hope you
      >enjoy the books, I know I did. They are a big change
      >from Pliocene, Milieu and Trillium.

      >I'd be interested to know what everyone thinks of
      >Rampart, have many people read them, do you hate/love
      >them?? What do you think of the characters/story
      >etc.?

      I only started liking the Rampart series once I read Orion Arm because
      things in it really started to get going - I had had a bit of struggle with
      Perseus Spur because it was written in a different style from the way JM
      usually wrote, and took a while to get used to. Perhaps not surprisingly the
      Rampart galaxy is totally different from the Milieu ones - there's no
      telepaths, most aliens are hostile and corruption is everywhere.

      However, I like the concept of Asahel's family firm being founded through
      the discovery of a sweet 'better than chocolate'. Being the chocolate addict
      I am quite curious as to how better it would be! :-)

      You mentioned how you liked Rogi because he was almost an accidental hero,
      well I like Asahel because he reminds me of Rogi - he was quite happy being
      a beach bum, but when the family firm was in danger of being gobbled up he
      found he couldn't stand by and let it happen. Naturally he does things his
      way. The evil CEO Alastair Drummond who wants to take over Asahel's family
      firm reminds me of a more sadistic version of Abaddon, who probably couldn't
      walk past a mirror without stopping to see how great he looked.

      Anyway, I can't wait until the concluding volume comes out in January.

      "There were roses in the catalog last fall that were the size of dinner
      plates, with more colors in each flower than a stained-glass window."