Is Intervention only one novel?

  • Senda of Mistletoe
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 30, 2000
      I have Intervention as a Serie with three books, or at least it was
      published so here in Spain.

      Is Intervention a lone Novel?
      Is divided in parts ?
      Why would someone part a novel so for publishing?

      I am a little confused, I disliked Intervention because the wait
      between chapters and the 'few' things inside each one.

      Bye

      Senda
    • Perry Niall
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 30, 2000
        Senda

        Intervention was definitely published as one volume in
        Ireland and UK, but I think the US split it in two,
        not sure why, maybe so they could charge more money,
        :). I think they were called, Survaliance and
        Metaconcert, though I'm open to correction on that.

        I have to say that Intervention is my favourite JM
        book, I love the fact that Rogi while not being the
        greatest meta in the world, is the key person in the
        book, by virtue of his being the conduit of the family
        ghost. In fact without Rogi no intervention, no time
        gate, no Marc, no anything.

        He's almost an accidental hero, he's definitely
        grudgingly a hero.

        Senda, have you read the novels in both English and
        Spanish, if you have do they they translate well?

        Have to go now, work to do, it always gets in the way
        of the important things.

        cheers

        Niall

        --- Senda of Mistletoe <Senda_Yuria@...> wrote:
        > I have Intervention as a Serie with three books, or
        > at least it was
        > published so here in Spain.
        >
        > Is Intervention a lone Novel?
        > Is divided in parts ?
        > Why would someone part a novel so for publishing?
        >
        > I am a little confused, I disliked Intervention
        > because the wait
        > between chapters and the 'few' things inside each
        > one.
        >
        > Bye
        >
        > Senda

        http://shopping.yahoo.com/
      • M J
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 30, 2000
          Here in the 'States, Intervention was published as two books. Surveillance
          and Metaconcert.

          Hope that helps!
        • Senda de Mistletoe
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 30, 2000
            On Thu, 30 Nov 2000 10:11:32 -0800 (PST), Julian-May-discuss@egroups.com
            wrote:

            | Senda
            |
            | Intervention was definitely published as one volume in
            | Ireland and UK, but I think the US split it in two,
            | not sure why, maybe so they could charge more money,
            | :). I think they were called, Survaliance and
            | Metaconcert, though I'm open to correction on that.

            Here Intervention was split in three: "La vigilancia", "La Revelacion"
            y "El Metaconcierto"

            | Senda, have you read the novels in both English and
            | Spanish, if you have do they they translate well?

            No, but I don´t like the traductions. For example Atoning Unifex is
            translated as Unifex Atonico (Atonic Unifex). I prefer the name of Atoning
            because it let know that is in a proccess to atone, Atonico sounds more like
            Atomico (atomic) I thougth when I read the book that He was a one piece
            Limlic, with one faith (uni-fex) and very complete in himself (Atonic). Or
            without a sound: Atonico is like without tone, without sound. I didn´t
            understand it was a bad traduction until I read Jack the bodyless.

            Bye

            Senda

            Tired of slow Internet? Get @Home Broadband Internet
            http://www.home.com/xinbox/signup.html
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 30, 2000
              > Here Intervention was split in three: "La
              > vigilancia", "La Revelacion"
              > y "El Metaconcierto"

              Niall is right, they were published as 'The
              Surveillance' and 'The Metaconcert'. When I read
              'Intervention' I too was extremely puzzled and thought
              I was missing one book. I was very disappointed to
              discover that that wasn't so. To me, the whole process
              of the Surveillance lasts up until the Intervention,
              so I thought then that there would be another volume
              which would explain the integration of humanity into
              the metaphorical metaconcert of the Galactic Milieu &
              describe the missing years of the Simbiari
              Proctorship. I think it is a problem with the series
              that the severe almost Puritanical proctorship of the
              Simb was a large contributing factor towards the ill
              feeling and zenophobia which was to culminate
              ultimately in the Rebellion. Look at Owen Blanchard
              and Richard Voorhees for e.g. yet we never actually
              get to see the impositions on day to day life except
              as tidbits such as the illegal birth of Jack & the
              suppression of religious extremism such as Amerie
              Roccaro felt.
              Even more importantly, what aboutthe life of Paul
              Remillard? I've always felt disappointed that I didn't
              get to see more of Paul's life, particularly the
              selling of New Hampshire, the night when he met
              Teresa, their early marriage, and the later
              indiscretions such as his affair with Laura Tremblay.
              I never liked Paul but I would have liked to have had
              more to go on about his mind and motivations.

              > | Senda, have you read the novels in both English
              > and
              > | Spanish, if you have do they they translate well?
              >
              > No, but I don�t like the traductions. For example
              > Atoning Unifex is
              > translated as Unifex Atonico (Atonic Unifex). I
              > prefer the name of Atoning
              > because it let know that is in a proccess to atone,
              > Senda

              I think you are very right Senda, as we've seen the
              name of nearly every character in May's novels has an
              underlying meaning which is essential to the
              understanding of the character.
              I think even phonetic hints are built into the names
              of some of the characters such as Rogatien (rogue).
              Donatien is a tricky one I would guess the meaning as
              'gift' but can only interpret that as being the gift
              of MP genes! What are some of the others....Elizabeth
              as the Virgin Queen, all of the Tanu names obviously.
              Biblical comparisons between the Remillards and their
              namesakes like Elena pointed out, Madeleine = the
              Magdalen. Any other hints....BTW, does 'Unifex' really
              mean 'one faith'? Interesting....

              http://shopping.yahoo.com/