Re: [Julian-May-discuss] Psuedonames and Identities

  • g.norfolk
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 2, 2003
      I have always LOVED your name, I remember when you first joined the board adding a message to the effect that I loved your 'handle' (old citizens band radio slang for name). There is a fantastically evocative piece of chill music called 'Jabberwock' by one of my favorite artists Solar stone, check out their track 'Seven Cities' thats pretty neat too.
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 3, 2003
        --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, "g.norfolk"
        <g.norfolk@n...> wrote:
        > I notice alot of group members assume identities and names taken from
        > say Julian May characters or other sources. I would find it interesting
        > if any of these members would care to explain why they take the names
        > they do.

        I'm usually Mandos, a Vala from Tolkien's Silmarillion, on other fora.
        On occasion I am Eupathic Impulse, when I cannot get Mandos without
        numbers following it (I hate those numbers). In this case, I couldn't
        get Eupathic Impulse on Yahoo without silly numbers, so I picked
        Homologous Trend.

        What all these beings have in common is that they are grand ethereal
        beings with optional human aspects that have star-spanning
        consciousnesses and are mostly self-sufficient. They are also in
        positions of vast authority over the trivial little fleshly creatures.

        So yeah, I suffer from Marc's disease, minus the peculiar Oedipus
        complex that informs the entire thing. I just think it would be cool
        to flit around the Galaxy with a mitigator.

        > boring old Helen :-)

        But Helen of Troy had the face that launched ships of war.

        Yours,
        --HT.
      • g.norfolk
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 3, 2003

          Why, you old flatterer you! I my case..sadly not.

           If Moz is feeling REALLY wicked he will forward you the piccy I sent to him entittled 'Bad Hair Day' in which a catastrophe with a dye bottle resulted in my sporting blue/purple hair that later went fluorescent purple then magenta!

          >> boring old
          Helen :-)

          >But Helen of Troy had the face that >launched ships
          of war.

          >Yours,
          >--HT.

        • Maurice Thomas
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 3, 2003
            I would not presume so much :-)

            Though as insurance policies go...

            heh heh

            Why, you old flatterer you! I my case..sadly not.

             If Moz is feeling REALLY wicked he will forward you the piccy I sent to him entittled 'Bad Hair Day' in which a catastrophe with a dye bottle resulted in my sporting blue/purple hair that later went fluorescent purple then magenta!

            >> boring old
            Helen :-)

            >But Helen of Troy had the face that >launched ships
            of war.

            >Yours,
            >--HT.

          • not_so_bright_lugonn
            Message 5 of 11 , May 13, 2003
              Mines pretty obvious I guess, huge Aik fan and I figured all the
              Aiken Drumm names would be gone so I thought I would take the piss a
              little bit, Aik would appreciate the humour if he didn't zap me to a
              greasy smut for my impudence :)

              <g.norfolk@n...> wrote:
              > Kate,
              >
              > I am curious as to your identity 'banfaol', does it mean anything
              in Gaelic?

              > I notice alot of group members assume identities and names taken
              from say Julian May characters or other sources. I would find it
              interesting if any of these members would care to explain why they
              take the names they do.

              > Regards,
              >
              > boring old Helen :-)
            • Jabberwocky1469
              Message 6 of 11 , May 15, 2003
                I am the Jabberwocky......... the Jabberwocky, of
                course, is a poem from Lewis Carroll's Through the
                Looking-Glass and What Alice Found There.
                If some of you did not read (mmmm, don't think so,
                but, just in case), here it comes:

                Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
                  Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
                All mimsy were the borogoves,
                  And the mome raths outgrabe.

                "Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
                  The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
                Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
                  The frumious Bandersnatch!"

                He took his vorpal sword in hand:
                  Long time the manxome foe he sought --
                So rested he by the Tumtum tree,
                  And stood awhile in thought.

                And, as in uffish thought he stood,
                  The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
                Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
                  And burbled as it came!

                One, two! One, two! And through and through
                  The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
                He left it dead, and with its head
                  He went galumphing back.

                "And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?