Re: [Julian-May-discuss] Psuedonames and Identities

  • Jabberwocky1469
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 2, 2003

      ups, my mistake, www.jabberwocky.com

       Jabberwocky1469 <jabberwocky1469@...> wrote:

      I am the Jabberwocky, from  Alice trogh the looking Glass, Lewis Carroll, if you want to see the real monster, you can check www.jabberwock.com

       "g.norfolk" <g.norfolk@...> wrote:

      Kate,

       I am curious as to your identity 'banfaol', does it mean anything in Gaelic?

      I notice alot of group members assume identities and names taken from say Julian May characters or other sources. I would find it interesting if any of these members would care to explain why they take the names they do.

      Regards,

      boring old Helen :-)

      Do You Yahoo!?
      Visíta Yahoo! Noticias.

      Do You Yahoo!?
      Visíta Yahoo! Noticias.

    • g.norfolk

        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 3, 2003
          --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, "g.norfolk"
          <g.norfolk@n...> wrote:
          > I notice alot of group members assume identities and names taken from
          > say Julian May characters or other sources. I would find it interesting
          > if any of these members would care to explain why they take the names
          > they do.

          I'm usually Mandos, a Vala from Tolkien's Silmarillion, on other fora.
          On occasion I am Eupathic Impulse, when I cannot get Mandos without
          numbers following it (I hate those numbers). In this case, I couldn't
          get Eupathic Impulse on Yahoo without silly numbers, so I picked
          Homologous Trend.

          What all these beings have in common is that they are grand ethereal
          beings with optional human aspects that have star-spanning
          consciousnesses and are mostly self-sufficient. They are also in
          positions of vast authority over the trivial little fleshly creatures.

          So yeah, I suffer from Marc's disease, minus the peculiar Oedipus
          complex that informs the entire thing. I just think it would be cool
          to flit around the Galaxy with a mitigator.

          > boring old Helen :-)

          But Helen of Troy had the face that launched ships of war.

          Yours,
          --HT.
        • g.norfolk
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 3, 2003

            Why, you old flatterer you! I my case..sadly not.

             If Moz is feeling REALLY wicked he will forward you the piccy I sent to him entittled 'Bad Hair Day' in which a catastrophe with a dye bottle resulted in my sporting blue/purple hair that later went fluorescent purple then magenta!

            >> boring old
            Helen :-)

            >But Helen of Troy had the face that >launched ships
            of war.

            >Yours,
            >--HT.

          • Maurice Thomas
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 3, 2003
              I would not presume so much :-)

              Though as insurance policies go...

              heh heh

              Why, you old flatterer you! I my case..sadly not.

               If Moz is feeling REALLY wicked he will forward you the piccy I sent to him entittled 'Bad Hair Day' in which a catastrophe with a dye bottle resulted in my sporting blue/purple hair that later went fluorescent purple then magenta!

              >> boring old
              Helen :-)

              >But Helen of Troy had the face that >launched ships
              of war.

              >Yours,
              >--HT.

            • not_so_bright_lugonn
              Message 6 of 11 , May 13, 2003
                Mines pretty obvious I guess, huge Aik fan and I figured all the
                Aiken Drumm names would be gone so I thought I would take the piss a
                little bit, Aik would appreciate the humour if he didn't zap me to a
                greasy smut for my impudence :)

                <g.norfolk@n...> wrote:
                > Kate,
                >
                > I am curious as to your identity 'banfaol', does it mean anything
                in Gaelic?

                > I notice alot of group members assume identities and names taken
                from say Julian May characters or other sources. I would find it
                interesting if any of these members would care to explain why they
                take the names they do.

                > Regards,
                >
                > boring old Helen :-)
              • Jabberwocky1469
                Message 7 of 11 , May 15, 2003
                  I am the Jabberwocky......... the Jabberwocky, of
                  course, is a poem from Lewis Carroll's Through the
                  Looking-Glass and What Alice Found There.
                  If some of you did not read (mmmm, don't think so,
                  but, just in case), here it comes:

                  Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
                    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
                  All mimsy were the borogoves,
                    And the mome raths outgrabe.

                  "Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
                    The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
                  Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
                    The frumious Bandersnatch!"

                  He took his vorpal sword in hand:
                    Long time the manxome foe he sought --
                  So rested he by the Tumtum tree,
                    And stood awhile in thought.

                  And, as in uffish thought he stood,
                    The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
                  Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
                    And burbled as it came!

                  One, two! One, two! And through and through
                    The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
                  He left it dead, and with its head
                    He went galumphing back.

                  "And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?