AU

  • George <geoclayfeet@aol.com>
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 31, 2003
      Ian, I'm not sure who (real or fictional) the vonnegut quoet is
      directed at, but it sure hit home. I hate hearing myself say, "Poor
      Marc," but he strikes me as the ultimate in alone-ness, despite the
      company of the universe...
    • Ian J Greely
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 4, 2003
        If it's the quote I'm thinking of (in my sig) it was aimed at anyone
        who feels the need to make a connection ;)

        Vonnegut wrote it in Timequake I think and talked about it in a talk
        about creative writing that was published. I thought that it was a
        pretty impressive statement that brought a tear to my eye.

        I do write and he captures the compulsion in that statement. It's
        focus is upon the "reader" but the author too feels the need to make
        that connection. The imperative to make a connection at as deep a
        level as is possible is palpable to me.

        Marc is deluded. He thinks he is alone, he never is and never has
        been. Which is true for all of us.

        The same themes crop up again and again in the series. Humanity facing
        the technological nightmare of 20th century "alone". The delusion of
        being alone drives the "misfits" into the time portal. The separation
        from "unity" drives Elizabeth to the same end. Marc's obsession with
        being alone drives him into the hands of Fury. Victor's obsession with
        being alone drives him into the hand of O'Connor. Don's fear of being
        alone drives him to abuse his children, thus creating Fury...

        The cup is there. People have to chose to drink. :)

        We are none of us alone.

        Ian

        On Sat, 01 Feb 2003 01:24:45 -0000, you wrote:

        >Ian, I'm not sure who (real or fictional) the vonnegut quoet is
        >directed at, but it sure hit home. I hate hearing myself say, "Poor
        >Marc," but he strikes me as the ultimate in alone-ness, despite the
        >company of the universe...

        Laws are the spider's webs which, if anything small falls into them they
        ensnare it, but large things break through and escape. -Solon, statesman
        (c. 638-c558 BCE)
      • Maurice Thomas
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 6, 2003
          There is somewhere a critique of Vonnegut's work that says "love may fail, but courtesy will prevail". At its receipt, Vonnegut ventured "ah, you could have saved me from my life's work had you said that to me at the age of 21". Or something equal.

          I don't care about the precise time. The point is that some people are going to lead interesting and useful lives (Kurt Vonnegut, whether or not he will discover hoosiers, wampeters or granfalloons, has already done good and great things, if only or especially surviving Dresden in 1941, and fuck the Future)  That said, I can't be having with the vast hand of madness that sits to catch the Remillard dynasty - if JM was paying so much mind to emergent genetic traits, she'd obviously realise that with the 10,000 to 1 success - Jack - there'd be a huge muto/fail rate - hence the cancers, deformities and so on, and also, what with her being an encyclopedia writer, I'm sure she'd expect us sci-fi readers to cut her a little slack on the science of time travel, since there is none.But Kurt Rules. And he knows how to make time dilate

          If it's the quote I'm thinking of (in my sig) it was aimed at anyone
          who feels the need to make a connection ;)

          Vonnegut wrote it in Timequake I think and talked about it in a talk
          about creative writing that was published. I thought that it was a
          pretty impressive statement that brought a tear to my eye.

          I do write and he captures the compulsion in that statement. It's
          focus is upon the "reader" but the author too feels the need to make
          that connection. The imperative to make a connection at as deep a
          level as is possible is palpable to me.

          Marc is deluded. He thinks he is alone, he never is and never has
          been. Which is true for all of us.

          The same themes crop up again and again in the series. Humanity facing
          the technological nightmare of 20th century "alone". The delusion of
          being alone drives the "misfits" into the time portal. The separation
          from "unity" drives Elizabeth to the same end. Marc's obsession with
          being alone drives him into the hands of Fury. Victor's obsession with
          being alone drives him into the hand of O'Connor. Don's fear of being
          alone drives him to abuse his children, thus creating Fury...

          The cup is there. People have to chose to drink. :)

          We are none of us alone.

          Ian

          On Sat, 01 Feb 2003 01:24:45 -0000, you wrote:

          >Ian, I'm not sure who (real or fictional) the vonnegut
          quoet is
          >directed at, but it sure hit home.  I hate hearing myself
          say, "Poor
          >Marc," but he strikes me as the ultimate in alone-ness,
          despite the
          >company of the universe...

          unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 8, 2003
            Yes.. Ian had it right. People do choose to drink. I apologise for my previous post to this board. Prior to it, I had chosen to drink, and thus the post was unintelligible - even to me, afterwards. I have no right to expect anyone to continue putting up with my posts. I will endeavour to  post sober in future, but I can't honestly sat I am sober from xx point - only being sober will demonstrate that.

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 8, 2003
              Actually Maurice, whilst I didn't really follow the thread of your
              post I did like the quote. I will even have a reason to use it on
              Monday. No doubt.

              Ian