Re: [Julian-May-discuss] Christ you guys are the best!

  • g.norfolk
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 18, 2002
      This posting is a personal story so may not be of interest to those of you who just want to chat about Julian May. My apologies...if thats the case  ignore this.

      When I first read your email concerning your own Friday the 13th horror story it affected me deeply because something similar happened to me. This one is for you Bob.

      When I was severed from the job I loved after seven and a half years I was fired for incompetence. I pointed out to my employers at the time that seven and a half years was an awful long time to put up with incompetent work.

      This was what our US friends call a "constructive dismissal", inasmuch that my firm tried to set me up to fail in a very important project, gave me a written warning that I wasn't performing as required and three months probation with a warning that I would be let go if I didn't meet their requirements. After two months they were forced to remove me from probation as my work far from being incompetent was exceedingly good. A letter was supposed to have been placed in my file documenting this fact, of which I was given a copy by my immediate supervisor. Two months later, out of the blue, I came back to my desk from a break to find my boss riffling through my filing cabinet and removing some of my paperwork. He left hurriedly claiming he was gathering documentation concerning the project.

      A couple of hours later I was called into the board room where I was informed that I was being fired for incompetence and told to get out of the country as my work visa was now invalid and they were informing immigration.And oh, by the way we won't be giving you a reference!

      I later discovered that the paperwork that my boss had taken concerned the whole probation mess and in particular the letter that he had given me releasing me from the written warning. I was not allowed to return to my desk to collect anything...my handbag and coat were brought to me. All my colleagues had been informed that a.m. , well before I knew,  that I was going to be terminated.

      This was on the Friday. On the Monday I requested and was allowed to view my personnel file, and clean out my desk. No-one in Human Resources would look me in the eye, the reason for which became obvious, my file had been tampered with and the all important letter was either missing from it or had never been placed in it. The copy of the letter filed in my desk was also gone! Shame for them that the original was filed back at my apartment along with copies of everything relating to my employment and recent goings on.

      When I visited an attorney to query the legality of what had been done to me he assured me that if I had courage and saw it though we would win. So I hired him. My ex-employers got very nasty, tried to stitch me up with US immigration, refused to pay me what they owed me, pressured an old  friend who had once been my boss to 'talk' me back to my senses, told me that a number of colleagues were prepared to say whatever was required to win them their case.

      So I thought ok you b********, I bloody well will fight, because even if I lose I am in the right. If they had just said look...you're surplus to requirements, heres a reasonable redundancy package, goodluck goodbye I could have handled it. It got very stressful, fortunately I had wonderful friends who supported me emotionally, lent me a car when I had to sell mine to fund the case, even let me stay with them.

       It took six months but I did win, my ex-employers settled out of court £30,000. But still no reference and alot of bad feeling. I could have taken it futher but I just got so tired of the hassle. Alot of that money had to pay my legal bills and re-imbuse friends with. I also had to re-locate back to the UK. It left me feeling that even though I had won there had to be something wrong with me and maybe I really was incompetent or it wouldn't have happened .

      I did find another job back in the UK and got references from people that I had previously worked with. All in all it took almost year of my life timewise and left mental scars that lasted years. I lost my innocence and trust and developed a degree of cynicism regarding work.

      The reason I relate this story is that I hope you read this Bob to understand that it can happen to anyone....its all about other peoples office politics, fear and jealousy  not your ability. You will get through it. You will get another job. You may decide to sue the b******* through the industrial tribunal. If you make things unpleasant for them you may get a better deal or feel vindicated. On the other hand you may feel that what you can obtain via this route is not worth the hassle, stress and mental anguish.

      Alot of us have been there reading other group members postings. You know yourself your ex-management wanted you gone and chose to be malicious and spiteful about it. So do not take personal feelings of failure or panic onboard. To keep the wolf from the door take on any work available while you keep searching for your next career path. It sounds like you have looked the spectre of unemployment in the eye and know what you are up against. You and Clare will survive by downsizing your lifestyle a bit.

      Don't think that you will find it hard to find employment because you have been 'fired'. I thought that too. I got another job though as chance would have it got laid off eight months later! All in all I have parted from various positions in an unplanned manner three times during the course of my IT career...it seems to be part of the IT culture.

      I believe that we can chose to learn from everything that happens in the course of our lives. From what I have read from you I think you believe that too. You are gonna be ok mate. Dont lose contact now...

      Helen
    • Cleomadjai