Re: Female Characters, Films ...

  • liz
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 7, 2002
      i think that david eddings is great too.
      the character of emmy/dweia in the redemption of althalus (by
      david/leigh eddings) is a really good female character. she is smart,
      a goddess and shes just really cool.

      liz
    • Maurice Thomas
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 7, 2002
        Poor old David Eddings ?  I strangely feel little sympathy for him and his missus as they peer down from their multi-million dollar west coast eyrie at the readership that has paved their fame.

        Fair go the Eddingses, though.  Thing is, if I had been the commissioning editor of "HackMonkey" books when the "Pawn of Profiteering" volume was submitted, we'd have never heard of the lad due to my feelings on copyright.
        Think about it :

        A. there's a witless, smock-wearing farmer-boy being kept safe by his aunt and uncle (STAR WARS)
        B. there's a group of stupendously inept yet allegedly powerful undead on the trail of A (Ring-Wraiths)
        C. there's a pensioner who alleges he is a wizard, but continually runs off elsewhere and NEVER blows stuff up (Gandalf)
        D. the obligatory thief looks like a rat-boy
        E. the Galadriel character again looks like someone's mum instead of Jadis from Narnia.
        F. all the supporting characters seem to be from a special sort of Europe that never, ever existed. There is :
            i) A tirelessly stupid knight, circa Morte de Arthur
            ii) A tirelessly steppe-dwelling horse-monkey (Rohan) that is no use underground
            iii) An irksome princess that originates both in Rome and in RADA.
            iv) Angry Vikings. As many as possible.
        G. the further East you were born, the more EVIL you become. Eddings is following the lead of morons like Tolkien, Tony Blair and George W Bush in this assumption that E is for East, and for Evil. In common with Eddings, Blair and Bush would also have us believe that there is some pivotal "moment of peace" whereby after the big battle, there will be a peace because Aragorn/Garion/Epsilon has hold of the Big Sword of Plop, which will somehow stop people hating each other for a million years, because the only thing bad about the world was the fact of the guy with the orcs that lived in the volcano, and now he's dead everything is okay. None of the people that were on the losing side will resent the fact that they have been majicked / napalmed / bombed / electrocuted. There are NO SHADES OF GREY anywhere in either the Belgariad, or in the current US Foreign Policy.

        My main complaint against Eddings, however, is the fact that he is a man of few descriptions. The obligatory scally that he employes is ALWAYS the "rat-faced Drasnian". It is so very dull. Homer may have got away with "rosy-fingered dawn" three thousand years ago when people were expected to remember books, but these days when we are permitted to read them, I'm sure I'm not alone in wishing for more variegated prose from my authors.

        My main complaint against George W Bush is that for some reason he still seems to be able to breathe.

        Cheers, and release poor little Winona !

        Moz

        ps. Sorry about the continual movie proposal thing that has occurred since I parped on about the possibility of an adaptation. I completely concur that any rendition would leave everyone short of their imaginings.
        Nonetheless, I would like to hear about fantasy casting choices.

        A selection of mine :

        Modern Day :

        Alana Shaunavon     :        Lisa Marie (Tim Burton muse)
        Rogi Remillard         :        Jean Reno
        Marc Remillard        :        George Clooney    (yeah yeah - you all hate my thoughts, but remember how incredibly arrogant Marc is - Clooney plays confident so terribly well)
        Tamara Sakhvadze :        Lena Olin   (sexiest woman that ever existed - superb actress to boot)
        Denis Remillard       :        Johnny Depp  (weh weh weh - bound to get you protesting. Actually, I've not yet seen Depp do a bad job; certainly he could work his thang as scion of the Remillards and play a few off cam v/o's as Fury
        Madeleine Remillard    :    Christina Ricci
        Exiles :

        Felice Landry         :        Holly Hunter (at forty she still looks twelve, and she is terribly sinuously muscular for a five footer)
        Claude Majewski    :        Cast decent polish actor
        Angelique Guderian:        Juliette Binoche
        Richard Voorhees    :    Steve Buscemi

        Just a few I've knockd up. Find it fun to do. Know it'll never happen. Hope it kicks off more than it annoys.
        Cheers
        Moz

        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 7, 2002
          Moz wrote:
          > the further East you were born, the more EVIL you become.... There are NO
          >SHADES OF GREY anywhere in either the Belgariad, or in the current US Foreign
          >Policy.

          *g* the Axis of Evil??? It is a bit hard to swallow isn't it. When you first
          read about the mystical West in Tolkien you think about the Isles of the
          Blessed and stuff but really it seems like glorification of the West as it
          is here and now...matter of fact the Blessed Isle, lying as they do across
          the Atlantic, are probably the Americas...
          I hate reading black and white anything. My favourite fantasy is GGK, and
          others like Robin Hobb, who actively play with greys.

          >My main complaint against George W Bush is that for some reason he still seems
          >to be able to breathe.

          He would say it is because he runs everyday...some might say it is because
          he made a pact with the devil.

          Re: Casting suggestions.
          Jean Reno as Rogi...not bad. George Clooney I don't know about. I would swop
          Lena Olin and Juliette Binoche. I really like Richard Voorhees played by
          Steve Buscemi.

          Leda
        • Cleomadjai
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 8, 2002

            Moz

            Have you been to the pub again?  George W and Tone were most certainly NOT in the Eddings books and if they had been I don't think they would have been on Garions's side.  I guess I don't see the characters as black and white as you do, Garion's gang are all flawed characters and some with nasty stories in their past developing into nasty habits - Hettar the Horse guy for one.  And some of the bad guys became good guys (the new prophets and preists in fact) after the influence of the deranged god was taken away.

            In fact Torak wasnt that bad until his jealousy got the better of him then in turned into an all out family squabble as these things do.  So Torak went off in a huff and sulked for a few hundred years.

            I think you should write for us, Moz, a story about George W and Tone, and let's see what you come up with.

            Now for the fantasy casting; back in the archives we did alot of that.  I still think some of your choices might be drink inspired but it would be interesting if Leda wants to run a poll on the actors to play the roles.  What do you think Leda?

            Cleomadjai

            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 9, 2002
              If I climb into the wardrobe will I be in a strange land where this
              diatribe makes sense?

              enquiring minds want to know...

              Ian

              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 10, 2002
                Cleomadjai wrote:
                >Now for the fantasy casting; back in the archives we did alot of that. I still
                >think some of your choices might be drink inspired but it would be interesting
                >if Leda wants to run a poll on the actors to play the roles. What do you think
                >Leda?

                Hi Cleomadjai,

                There are one or two polls related to casting already (e.g. I think Mike
                made one up for Casting for Felice). Feel free to collate all the options of
                casting for anyone character and set up a new poll.

                Leda
              • clarissafarrington
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 10, 2002
                  Moz

                  And he rehashed the whole series just with different names in the
                  Sparhawk books - down to the Blue Jewel and travelling east (again)
                  and the mystics etc, etc etc.

                  And pretty much again in the other stand alone Redemption of whats
                  his name book.

                  I guess once you are onto a good think you stick with it.

                  The Golden Key was Kate Elliot, Melanie Rawn and someone else....

                  Melanie Rawn has written a series based on a matriarcal society - I
                  have been waiting for about 4 years for the third book. Anyway, it
                  actually took me awhile to work out what was "strange" about the
                  book, and thats what it was. The men stayed and home and looked after
                  the wife and kids - it was fantastic!!

                  Cheers

                  Clarissa

                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 11, 2002
                    Clarissa wrote:
                    > The Golden Key was Kate Elliot, Melanie Rawn and someone else....

                    Jennifer Roberson (Chronicles of the Cheysuli, Sword dancer series)

                    > Melanie Rawn has written a series based on a matriarcal society - I
                    > have been waiting for about 4 years for the third book. Anyway, it
                    > actually took me awhile to work out what was "strange" about the
                    > book, and thats what it was. The men stayed and home and looked after
                    > the wife and kids - it was fantastic!!

                    So has Kate Elliott - novels of the Jaran. There are four books written at
                    the moment the rest won't be available for years as she is finishing another
                    series first. It's based on a quasi-Russian steppes people, who have men as
                    warleaders but the basic society matriarchal. It's a terrific series by the
                    way but is more sf than her recent work.