Re: [Julian-May-discuss] Re: The Intervention - The movie?

    Message 1 of 23 , Nov 7, 2002
      Nicolette wrote:
      > I have heard persistent rumours that Christopher Lee has been approached to
      >play Dumbledore. These are probably just rumours, and besides he has a history
      >of playing baaaad guys and this may make him the wrong choice anyway for the
      >role of the kindly headmaster. Although there is that part in the fourth book
      >when you wonder how much of a good guy he actually is....

      Hey Nicolette - doesn't that make Christopher Lee perfect as Dumblebore
      (*G*)

      Message 2 of 23 , Nov 7, 2002
        > > I have heard persistent rumours that Christopher Lee has been approached
        > >play Dumbledore. These are probably just rumours, and besides he has a
        history
        > >of playing baaaad guys and this may make him the wrong choice anyway for
        the
        > >role of the kindly headmaster. Although there is that part in the fourth
        book
        > >when you wonder how much of a good guy he actually is....
        >

        > Hey Nicolette - doesn't that make Christopher Lee perfect as Dumblebore
        > (*G*)
        >
        > Leda

        Hi Leda,

        Probably....he certainly turned in a good performance as Saruman in LoTR,
        very much the Good Wizard Gone Bad (TM).

        By the way, I recently finished reading all of the 'Lymond' books. I was
        hooked enough at the end of the first book to hunt up the rest at the
        library (though most of them were dog-eared editions from library basements,
        ugh). Good series, a shame there isn't any more...

        Message 3 of 23 , Nov 7, 2002
          Nicolette wrote:
          > By the way, I recently finished reading all of the 'Lymond' books. I was
          > hooked enough at the end of the first book to hunt up the rest at the
          > library (though most of them were dog-eared editions from library basements,
          > ugh). Good series, a shame there isn't any more...

          *exultantly punches the air* Yes! My first convert...do you know about the
          Nicollo series? The Nicollo series is sort of a prequel series. It has about
          8 books so there is plenty of more reading there.
          So....do you have any pertinent observations? Or have you spotted any
          parallels in fantasy e.g. Guy Gavriel Kay?

          Message 4 of 23 , Nov 9, 2002
            Hiya Leda,

            Yes, I've seen the Nicollo series in the library, o converter <g>, but I
            haven't got around to reading them yet. I had a wander around the various
            Dorothy Dunnett websites and apparently one of the fans had put together a
            family tree connecting the people from the Nicollo series and the Lymond
            ones (the picture was fuzzy on the website though and you had to send away
            for a copy of this family tree).

            Observations? Well, DD sure knows how to write historical fiction. I seem to
            be reading quite a few books set in the 15th/16th centuries at the moment!
            It certainly helps that *two* guidebooks have been published, whew. You need
            them. The first book was a bit of a struggle but once I got used to the
            writing I was hooked. Lots of plot twists that's for sure. The first books
            that come to mind when I think of a fantasy comparison are the 'alternate
            Byzantium' books by Guy Gavriel Kay and 'The Golden Key' by Kate Elliott and
            two other authors I can't quite bring to mind at the moment...

            Message 5 of 23 , Nov 10, 2002
              on 10/11/02 2:13 PM, Nicolette Lewer at nicolel@... wrote:

              > Hiya Leda,
              >
              > Yes, I've seen the Nicollo series in the library, o converter <g>, but I
              > haven't got around to reading them yet.

              They are pretty heavy going but not as heavy going as Lymond. I remember how
              much I hated GOK until the last few chapters, and how much Lymond annoyed
              me. Why can't he speak in prose like everyone else?? I am studying Much Ado
              About Nothing at the moment and Benedick and Beatrice remind me a lot of
              Lymond and his lady. They speak in just as convoluted a fashion but at least
              there are footnotes in most editions of Shakespeare!
              It is best to do your first Lymond reading without worrying over much about
              what is being said between the lines. Then do the second one and take time
              to puzzle out or look up what is being said. Sometimes three or four layers
              of meaning, it is quite incredible really.

              > I had a wander around the various Dorothy Dunnett websites and apparently one
              >of the fans had put together a family tree connecting the people from the
              >Nicollo series and the Lymond ones

              Nooooo!!!!! That's half the fun of the Nicollo series, trying to figure out
              how it ties in to the Lymond books. I can tell you, last year when I read
              them in a spoiler free session with the Sharon Kay Penman list it inspired
              some fascinating theories. No one quite got it though, and even at the end
              there are still mysteries abounding, for example (without giving too much
              away) about possible family links involving Gabriel.

              > The first books
              > that come to mind when I think of a fantasy comparison are the 'alternate
              > Byzantium' books by Guy Gavriel Kay and 'The Golden Key' by Kate Elliott and
              > two other authors I can't quite bring to mind at the moment...

              GGK is a really big fan of DD's and met her once. Parallels between his work
              and hers abound and they share some similarities in style as well. Kate
              Elliott I don't think is influenced by DD, but she writes in the same
              tradition of 'historical fantasy' that GGK writes in. I think Janny Wurt's
              Arithon owes a lot to Lymond...

              Message 6 of 23 , Nov 12, 2002
                > > Yes, I've seen the Nicollo series in the library, o converter <g>, but I
                > > haven't got around to reading them yet.
                >
                > They are pretty heavy going but not as heavy going as Lymond. I remember
                how
                > much I hated GOK until the last few chapters, and how much Lymond annoyed
                > me. Why can't he speak in prose like everyone else?? I am studying Much
                Ado
                > About Nothing at the moment and Benedick and Beatrice remind me a lot of
                > Lymond and his lady. They speak in just as convoluted a fashion but at
                least
                > there are footnotes in most editions of Shakespeare!

                Oh yes, that was something to get used to - Lymond using five words where
                one would do....with double meanings in everything! Half the time the people
                around him are going "huh??" :-) I saw the movie version of Much Ado
                About Nothing a few years ago which I enjoyed - but why did they put Keanu
                Reeves in? Why??? <cough>

                > It is best to do your first Lymond reading without worrying over much
                about
                > what is being said between the lines. Then do the second one and take time
                > to puzzle out or look up what is being said. Sometimes three or four
                layers
                > of meaning, it is quite incredible really.

                Yes, there was certainly many layers all right. Reading them was like eating
                a big roast dinner (I tend to compare reading books to eating - don't
                ask....;-) ) which was a welcome change from the usual 'low-fat' books
                around these days.

                > > I had a wander around the various Dorothy Dunnett websites and
                apparently one
                > >of the fans had put together a family tree connecting the people from the
                > >Nicollo series and the Lymond ones
                >
                > Nooooo!!!!! That's half the fun of the Nicollo series, trying to figure
                out
                > how it ties in to the Lymond books. I can tell you, last year when I read
                > them in a spoiler free session with the Sharon Kay Penman list it inspired
                > some fascinating theories. No one quite got it though, and even at the end
                > there are still mysteries abounding, for example (without giving too much
                > away) about possible family links involving Gabriel.

                Gabriel? Ouch, that makes sense in a scary sort of way. Do you know if DD
                ever mentioned what the connection was?
                Well, another thing I noticed on the websites that will make you howl <g>
                was a casting poll that mentioned Sting as a good choice for Lymond. I
                chuckled....except now his face pops up when I think about Lymond....oh
                dear...

                > > The first books
                > > that come to mind when I think of a fantasy comparison are the
                'alternate
                > > Byzantium' books by Guy Gavriel Kay and 'The Golden Key' by Kate Elliott
                and
                > > two other authors I can't quite bring to mind at the moment...
                >
                > GGK is a really big fan of DD's and met her once. Parallels between his
                work
                > and hers abound and they share some similarities in style as well.

                True...

                > Kate Elliott I don't think is influenced by DD, but she writes in the same
                > tradition of 'historical fantasy' that GGK writes in. I think Janny Wurt's
                > Arithon owes a lot to Lymond...
                >
                > Leda

                Hmm...I haven't read much of Janny Wurt's series about Arithon - I got stuck
                in the first book and had to give it up. I admire the fact that she paints
                her own covers for her books though; it's not often you get someone who can
                do that (successfully).