Re: new member

  • nicolel@iconz.co.nz
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 5, 2000
      Hi there,

      > > Great to see several Australians & Kiwis here. Have
      > > Tim Tam for me, I miss them...

      Yes I will :-)

      > Ohhh!! I wrote a few messages and then remembered all
      > of the focus on RUssia in INTERVENTION. I get
      > frustrated sometimes reading May's books and being
      > unable to understand the dialects she qtes in (how can
      > one person know so much and speak so much of so many
      > languages).

      It annoys me as I feel sad I didn't bother learning French at school..

      I love the air of authenticity it gives
      > each character though. You'll probably get on well
      > with Anatoly in THE ADVERSARY. He is a Russian priest
      > who swears a lot at Marc, I'd love to know what he was
      > calling Marc (and Elizabeth) in some of those scenes!!

      Same here. I found that scene where he swears at Liz quite
      interesting - when Liz rushes up to Marc to give him a hug then stops
      at the last minute and Marc's smile disappears I found myself
      wondering the first time I read it 'Hey, I think he's genuinely sad
      he didn't get a hug! What's going on?' And then Anatoly swears at Liz
      as if to say "stupid girl you need a whack on the head!"

      Later,

      Nicolette :-)
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 5, 2000
        > Same here. I found that scene where he swears at Liz
        > quite
        > interesting - when Liz rushes up to Marc to give him
        > a hug then stops
        > at the last minute and Marc's smile disappears I
        > found myself
        > wondering the first time I read it 'Hey, I think
        > he's genuinely sad
        > he didn't get a hug! What's going on?' And then
        > Anatoly swears at Liz
        > as if to say "stupid girl you need a whack on the
        > head!"
        >
        > Later,
        >
        > Nicolette :-)

        *g* I read that very scene two days ago - I just
        finished the ADVERSARY again. I kept rereading it and
        rereading it going'what are you doing Elizabeth',
        silly girl, didn't know what she had.....
        leda

        http://shopping.yahoo.com/
      • Elena
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 6, 2000
          Leticia Anderson <leda_au@y...> wrote:
          > Tamara Sahkvadve was definitely a favourite character,
          > I empathised with her a lot, and the sene where her
          > father takes her out into the hinterlands of Russia
          > was very inspirational to me to visit Russia.

          Great place, Russia! :) But these days, you'd have to visit
          Georgia to find where Tamara's family comes from.
          Georgia used to be part of the USSR, but now it's independent.
          And this gets more complicated: Seliac Eshba's family is
          Abkhazian. That's a different ethnic group from Georgians
          (and both are different from Russians). After Georgia became
          independent, Abkhazia declared independence from Georgia -
          to which Georgia didn't agree - so it's a bit of a conflict
          zone these days, and Russian peacekeepers have been in
          Abkhazia for several years. There are also some ethnic
          Abkhazians living across the border in Karachaevo-Cherkessia,
          which is a region of the Russian Federation (remember how
          Seliac asks Pyotr if he's part-Cherkess). All of these
          places are in the Caucasus mountains, between the Black Sea
          and the Caspian Sea, near Chechnya and the southern borders
          of Russia. For more on Abkhazia, refer to:
          http://www.abkhazia.org/home.html

          The surname "Sakhvadze" is certainly Georgian: typical -dze
          ending, e.g. the current Georgian president's name is
          Eduard Sheverdnadze. They all speak a lot of Russian in the
          books because it was the official language of the USSR and
          everyone knew it; but I do like JM's use of details that fit
          in with the specifics - e.g. at one point Tamara bakes
          khachapuri, Georgian cheese pastries (a popular take-away
          food around here, and everyone knows they're Georgian).

          If anyone's looking for Alma-Ata... well, that's not in
          Russia either. Kazakhstan became an independent country
          after the USSR broke up, and its capital is no longer
          Alma-Ata, but Astana.
          Alma-Ata is now called Almaty. Try this page:
          http://www.wfu.edu/~kourmb9/kaz/alma-ata.htm
          there's a picture of the Kazakhstan Hotel where Tamara
          and Yuri rendezvous with Urgyen Bhotia, and the Medeo
          Stadium where Pyotr feels the earthquake.
          More photos of lovely green Almaty, city of apples, at
          http://www.acs-almaty.kz/gallery.htm

          Enough of the geography lesson, already... back to the books. :)

          Elena

          "But that was long ago and far away, and I have
          long since forgotten most of my higher mathematics."
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 6, 2000
            > The surname "Sakhvadze" is certainly Georgian:
            > typical -dze
            > ending, e.g. the current Georgian president's name
            > is
            > Eduard Sheverdnadze. They all speak a lot of Russian
            > in the
            > books because it was the official language of the
            > USSR and
            > everyone knew it; but I do like JM's use of details
            > that fit
            > in with the specifics - e.g. at one point Tamara
            > bakes
            > khachapuri, Georgian cheese pastries (a popular
            > take-away
            > food around here, and everyone knows they're
            > Georgian).

            Did you know that Julian May's descent is actually
            Polish???
            Her mixed is always something to which I have
            attributed part of her brilliant touch for capturing ethnicity....

            http://shopping.yahoo.com/
          • evildinkguy51
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 12, 2009
              Hi, everyone. Don't let the name fool you, I'm really not all that
              evil. I've read all the Pliocene, Intervention, and Milieau books
              until they're dog-eared (I'm on my 7th or 8th trip thru The Golden Torc
              right now).

              I'm about the least creative person on the planet, so I have to get my
              fix elsewhere. That's why I like JM so much! The biggest problem I
              see is that she won't have the time left to tie up so many loose ends
              from all her stories. What about the "vampire" planet that AU refered
              to? Why did Vic project such fear even after so much time had passed?
              Did Fury help that along?

              Thanks for being here. By the way, what does Neutronium Rock actually
              sound like?
            • Michelle Rose
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 14, 2009
                Hey, newbie:

                Welcome and don't let the silence here fool you, either. Some of us
                actually have a life beyond the Net. (not me, I'm hopeless)

                Your questions: nobody left alive on the vampire planet. They ate
                each other and the last one succumbed to psychic starvation. Finis,
                and aren't you glad?

                Ah, the fear. It's called an aura, my friend. Bad ones are like
                Exedrin Headache #1000. You don't wanna be in the same room, trust
                me. (Good ones make you feel pretty nice but hide your wallet.) Since
                it's a manifestation of the external lattices of Reality, it tends to
                permeate any living creature. In fact, the phenomenon we refer to as
                'life' may be itself a manifestation of those lattices. Chicken or
                the egg? Damfino.

                Fury? An artifical persona Denis created to endure his abuse at the
                hands of Don, of course. Did it help that nasty ol' aura? Damn
                straight it did. Effin' thing did everything it could to sow havoc
                and unreason.

                Neutronium rock? Hmm well, it's in 16/4 so I'd imagine it sounds a
                bit like Pantera after six or eight cups of espresso. (Long Live
                Dimebag Darrell!)

                Any other questions? Feel free to ask. I'm just taking my turn in the
                hotseat for now since no one else responded. Someone else may reply
                later. It's that kind of group.

                Michelle

                --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, "evildinkguy51" <jmw2@...>
                wrote:

                > Hi, everyone. Don't let the name fool you, I'm really not all that
                > evil. I've read all the Pliocene, Intervention, and Milieau books
                > until they're dog-eared (I'm on my 7th or 8th trip thru The Golden
                Torc
                > right now).
                >
                > I'm about the least creative person on the planet, so I have to get
                my
                > fix elsewhere. That's why I like JM so much! The biggest problem
                > see is that she won't have the time left to tie up so many loose
                ends
                > from all her stories. What about the "vampire" planet that AU
                refered
                > to? Why did Vic project such fear even after so much time had
                passed?
                > Did Fury help that along?
                >
                > Thanks for being here. By the way, what does Neutronium Rock
                actually
                > sound like?

              • alixnc
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 15, 2009
                  Hi dink ...

                  Jump right in, and hopefully others will too. One fears the group's own
                  version of Lylmik leadership may indeed be moribund as are JM's.

                  --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, "Michelle Rose"
                  <michelle_rose3@...> wrote:
                  ...and don't let the silence here fool you, either. Some of us
                  > actually have a life beyond the Net. (not me, I'm hopeless)

                  Yes, and some of us have wandered off to other planets inhabited by
                  Harry Potter heads.

                  Still persisting,
                  alix
                • angeloftheabyss@sbcglobal.net
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 15, 2009
                    Been off in Potterland (guilty as charged) been working and just
                    haven't had much time between rereading the MCL (Pan paperback ed)
                    work (blecch) and rebuilding an old Fender guitar amp (with limited
                    tech skills) Main reason I will be more active is that now I can
                    access the group from my sbc account instead of the aoHell account
                    that I rarely use any more...Speaking of moribund Lylmik... anyone
                    else pick up on the connection between the certain portions of the
                    Conciloum orb, lylmik transports and Brede's (peoples') Ships? Think
                    Marc (The Lylmik) Remillard might have gotten a clue or two from Tanu
                    legend/history?

                    --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, "alixnc" <alixnc@...>