Anne Remillard Gay?

  • g.norfolk
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 30, 2002
      Moz,

      In a past posting you wrote:

         Anne Remillard, on the other hand, personifies the virgin Athena as wise old celibate owl (yet slightly gay).

      I've been a-mulling this over and ? Where did you get this impression from? I got the impression that like Marc she repressed any sexual side to her nature, possibly re-enforced by watching Paul's sexual shenanigans. I'm curious.

      Regards,

      Helen

    • Maurice Thomas
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 1, 2002
        Hi Helen,

        Oh, it's just nuns. There's no evidence whatever that my theory holds water - just that I think a lot of people are more primal under the surface than they like to let on, and the more fiercely such thoughts are repressed, the more disjunctive behaviours surface as a result (Marc - oopsie). I'm cynical enough to believe that as many nuns joined nunneries (in the days when they were truly places of isolation) for the company of women, or more likely the absence of men, than necessarily to marry christ. (And of course the horrible history of men sending "unchaste" women to nunneries, which is yet another blight on my sex).

        Not that Anne was a nun, but she plays out the Heloise fantasy fit to bust, yet with no Abelard. Now, I am NOT suggesting just because she didn't have a man, she must be gay - I'm a lot more reconstructed than that (though I do still leave the lid up and burp in public).  No; I am suggesting that because she had no use for a man, she could have possibly been gay. And no more than that - hence the original 'slightly'.

        With the Paul thing, I think Marc shows understandable disgust for his old man's philanderings and maltreatment of his mum, but how much of that was Anne party to ?  Surely not enough to make her think "righto - that's it - no penises for me from now on !" unless she was already either disturbed enough to imagine all men as her over-excited, amoral younger bro, or gay enough not to care..

        Nuntheless, there's also the fact that repression doesn't actually work for anyone other than perhaps Jack, who, lacking testosterone, gonads etc, would not have anything to repress. Celibacy is usually employed as a fend-off by those who cannot - or will not - own up to their true sexual nature. People who claim they don't need sex are simply fooling themselves - we are monkeys, our DNA demands we compete with other monkeys, and however clever we allege ourselves to be, I can't see us non-Jacks out-clevering our bodies.

        That most bodacious doctorer of wedding punches, Jesus son of Joseph, never demanded celibacy of his friends - that's a Catholic thang - and as Anne the Jesuit would have presumably had an encyclopaedic knowledge of things biblical (along with giant Remillard brains smarter than mine) she would also have been able to see the essential lie of what she was doing. Which led me to wonder why and what she was repressing, and how she managed to use up her own bodyweight in so doing, despite the superb facilities (and irksome overmind) on Orb that would have noticed her degeneration and done something about it - I just can't imagine the concilium being willing to allow its representatives to starve themselves to death, or unable to notice that she was doing so (unless she was able to shield from Krondak probes - what sort of power would that have required 24/7 ?).

        And Fury burns its host out as inevitably as it is born.

        There ya go. Sorry for the waffle - pointless since I know I'm wrong, but I had fun writing it.

        Cheers

        Moz

        ps. Has this group yet done a run-down of the various surrogate Marc's that crop up in the books - Urygen Bhotia etc ?  I presume you must have. I'd be intrigued to hear some of the more difficult ones, since I've only spotted the obvious.