Newly Arrived

  • Niall Perry
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2000
      Hi everybody,

      I've just joined the group, (after receiving a very nice email from
      Leda) and I thought I'd just post a quick note to say hello.

      I'm 29 and I've been reading JM for at least 10 years, and there is
      very little, if any other SFF, I've read to compare with JM's
      writings. I remember being sucked into the books from the very start
      of "The Many Coloured Land", (I was totally fascinated by the early
      image of a group of exotics standing around in the basement of a
      French cottage). Since then I have reread the books many times,
      discovering something new on each reading. I'm currently reading
      Intervention (again), I've also read the first two of the Rampart
      novels (good light-hearted fun). I plan to read the Trillium novels
      soon (what are they like?).

      As for my favourite characters, I would have to say that I find it
      next to impossible to dislike Marc (despite his penchant for galactic
      rebellions, etc.). Kieran (Ciaran) O'Connor is a particular favourite
      of mine (although it might be because I'm Irish that I like him).
      There are a couple I don't like, but more of them another time.

      There are a lot of postings in the group already and I am going to
      spend some time going through them, and hopefully join in the fun of
      discussing JM's work soon.

      best regards to all

      Niall
    • Amanda Prater
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 2, 2000
        Hello, Niall! The E-Groups has been kind of quiet lately, but it's always
        nice to see new fans joining up. :-)

        Take care,
        Amanda

        >From: "Niall Perry" <niallperry@...>
        >To: Julian-May-discuss@egroups.com
        >Subject: [Julian-May-discuss] Newly Arrived
        >Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2000 13:41:52 -0000
        >
        >Hi everybody,
        >
        >I've just joined the group, (after receiving a very nice email from
        >Leda) and I thought I'd just post a quick note to say hello.
        >
        >I'm 29 and I've been reading JM for at least 10 years, and there is
        >very little, if any other SFF, I've read to compare with JM's
        >writings. I remember being sucked into the books from the very start
        >of "The Many Coloured Land", (I was totally fascinated by the early
        >image of a group of exotics standing around in the basement of a
        >French cottage). Since then I have reread the books many times,
        >discovering something new on each reading. I'm currently reading
        >Intervention (again), I've also read the first two of the Rampart
        >novels (good light-hearted fun). I plan to read the Trillium novels
        >soon (what are they like?).
        >
        >As for my favourite characters, I would have to say that I find it
        >next to impossible to dislike Marc (despite his penchant for galactic
        >rebellions, etc.). Kieran (Ciaran) O'Connor is a particular favourite
        >of mine (although it might be because I'm Irish that I like him).
        >There are a couple I don't like, but more of them another time.
        >
        >There are a lot of postings in the group already and I am going to
        >spend some time going through them, and hopefully join in the fun of
        >discussing JM's work soon.
        >
        >best regards to all
        >
        >Niall

        http://profiles.msn.com
      • clayton
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 2, 2000
          have you read space vampires?
          It was turned into a film by the name "Life force" starring i think tommy
          lee jones this is where i am sure victors life consuming vampire like attack
          was drawn
          i recommend you give it a whirl.

        • nicolel@iconz.co.nz
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 3, 2000
            Hi Niall (and other new JM fans),

            Welcome to the group.

            I've read the multi-author Trillium novels, and while they're not as good as
            the Exile books (of course) they're a pleasant read. I call them Julian's
            Homage to Darkover (space travellers colonise a planet which develops an ice
            age, while the descendants revert to a feudal society with sorcerers;
            remnants of advanced technology are mistaken for things of magic).

            The best way to read them is to start with Black Trillium, then Golden
            Trillium, Blood Trillium and Sky Trillium. I avoid Marion Zimmer Bradley's
            Lady of the Trillium because of its contradictions to the other books (I
            feel it's set in an alterate universe!).