Fred's demise

  • haxberry
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 27, 2002
      Hi all,

      I'm new to the group - just finished Magnificat (must say it felt like
      a letdown after the other excellent Pliocene/ Intervention/
      Milieu books, but alright, it's all subjective), and there's something
      I didn't quite understand. I know I should have searched the archive
      first to see if I can find an answer before I barge in like this, but
      --- when Paul and Fred are interrupted by Fury, and Paul is attacked,
      how does Fred's clawing all over Fury's face fit in with his
      Unification in which any act of aggression is unthinkable? Or is Unity
      not all it's cracked up to be? TIA,

      Hax
    • Ian J Greely
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 27, 2002
        Um,

        Aggression is to start an attack.

        I think that clawing an attackers face would not qualify for this.

        Ian

        On Tue, 27 Aug 2002 22:54:34 -0000, you wrote:

        >Hi all,
        >
        >I'm new to the group - just finished Magnificat (must say it felt like
        >a letdown after the other excellent Pliocene/ Intervention/
        >Milieu books, but alright, it's all subjective), and there's something
        >I didn't quite understand. I know I should have searched the archive
        >first to see if I can find an answer before I barge in like this, but
        >--- when Paul and Fred are interrupted by Fury, and Paul is attacked,
        >how does Fred's clawing all over Fury's face fit in with his
        >Unification in which any act of aggression is unthinkable? Or is Unity
        >not all it's cracked up to be? TIA,
        >
        >Hax

      • Claire
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 27, 2002
          Hax wrote:

          > --- when Paul and Fred are interrupted by Fury, and Paul is attacked,
          > how does Fred's clawing all over Fury's face fit in with his
          > Unification in which any act of aggression is unthinkable? Or is Unity
          > not all it's cracked up to be? TIA,

          If I remember correctly, the Poltroyans of the Milieu had evolved from ages
          of agression; that was one of the bonds that they shared with humans. In
          the midst of the end game battle, didn't Unity momentarily falter in almost
          all the races, manifesting as agression in the Poltroyans? Maybe Unity just
          couldn't completely erase primal instincts, such as for self preservation or
          protection of a loved one. Anyway, the point I was trying to get to is that
          I might have been more surprised if Fred had been a Gi or Simb or Krondak
          and acted that way; because of his racial history it seemed to fit, for me.

          Claire
        • Claire
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 27, 2002
            I hate when this happens; I do know how to spell aggression.

            > > --- when Paul and Fred are interrupted by Fury, and Paul is attacked,
            > > how does Fred's clawing all over Fury's face fit in with his
            > > Unification in which any act of aggression is unthinkable? Or is Unity
            > > not all it's cracked up to be? TIA,
            >
            > If I remember correctly, the Poltroyans of the Milieu had evolved from
            ages
            > of agression; that was one of the bonds that they shared with humans. In
            > the midst of the end game battle, didn't Unity momentarily falter in
            almost
            > all the races, manifesting as agression in the Poltroyans? Maybe Unity
            just
            > couldn't completely erase primal instincts, such as for self preservation
            or
            > protection of a loved one. Anyway, the point I was trying to get to is
            that
            > I might have been more surprised if Fred had been a Gi or Simb or Krondak
            > and acted that way; because of his racial history it seemed to fit, for
            me.

            > Claire

          • Mike Vallender
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 27, 2002
              That's okay Claire, we know you know how to spell agretion :-)

              Regards

              Mike Vallender

              I hate when this happens; I do know how to spell aggression.

              > > --- when Paul and Fred are interrupted by Fury, and Paul is
              attacked,
              > > how does Fred's clawing all over Fury's face fit in with his
              > > Unification in which any act of aggression is unthinkable? Or is
              Unity
              > > not all it's cracked up to be? TIA,
              >
              > If I remember correctly, the Poltroyans of the Milieu had evolved from
              ages
              > of agression; that was one of the bonds that they shared with humans.
              In
              > the midst of the end game battle, didn't Unity momentarily falter in
              almost
              > all the races, manifesting as agression in the Poltroyans? Maybe Unity
              just
              > couldn't completely erase primal instincts, such as for self
              preservation
              or
              > protection of a loved one. Anyway, the point I was trying to get to
              is
              that
              > I might have been more surprised if Fred had been a Gi or Simb or
              Krondak
              > and acted that way; because of his racial history it seemed to fit,
              for
              me.

              > Claire

              Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to