Re: [Julian-May-discuss] Rogi , rogea , rog -i or rogy

  • g.norfolk
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 31, 2002
      In intervention Rogatien himself says it is pronounced as in ROGUE EE. iIn other books Malama calls him 'rogue'. Suits him!

      Helen.
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 1, 2002

        I would go for row-gee since it was how Rogatien Vachon's name was pronounced when he was an NHL goalie.

        J.C.

        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 1, 2002
          Helen wrote:
          >In intervention Rogatien himself says it is pronounced as in ROGUE EE. iIn
          >other books Malama calls him 'rogue'. Suits him!

          Welcome to the list Leif.
          I too think of Rogi as Rogue-ee, but really I guess he would have one of
          those names which people pronounce differently depending on their accent
          etc. I get a lot of variations on my name - Le-tish-a, Le-tee-sha,
          Le-tee-c-a - but it is still my name. So to the staff at white mountain he
          probably was Roge-ee, to French speakers more like Row-gee as J.C.
          suggested...

          Leda
        • J.C. DuVal
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 5, 2002

            I have been wondering about this for a long while so perhaps someone can shed some light on this : In The Adversary, Aiken says something to the effect "you are a randy lass, we shall share houghmandy anon" (if I remember correctly this was right before his remapping/archetyping). It's clear by the context what houghmandy is but what is its origin? gaelic/scottish?

            I am still wondering who or what Mad Dougal was but that is another issue...

            J.C.

            Do You Yahoo!?
          • Claire
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 5, 2002
              Here is a snippet about houghmagandy from http://www.worldwidewords.org/weirdwords/ww-hou1.htm : "It's a rare word these days, but as it has a grand sound - and it is of such universal application - perhaps somebody should begin a campaign to restore it to common usage. One well-known appearance is in Vladimir Nabokov's book Pale Fire: "She would have preferred him to have gone through a bit of wholesome houghmagandy with the wench". We do know the word was originally Scots, as the guttural gh indicates.[...]"

              I've always wondered about Dougal too...
              Claire

              J. C. wrote:
              I have been wondering about this for a long while so perhaps someone can shed some light on this : In The Adversary, Aiken says something to the effect "you are a randy lass, we shall share houghmandy anon" (if I remember correctly this was right before his remapping/archetyping). It's clear by the context what houghmandy is but what is its origin? gaelic/scottish?

              I am still wondering who or what Mad Dougal was but that is another issue...

            • bob
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 5, 2002
                Houghmagandy is Scottish/Gaelic for sex.

                It is not to be confused with Hogmanay, which is New Year..., though perhaps Houghmagandy at Hogmanay can be expected. *grin*

                I have been wondering about this for a long while so perhaps someone can shed some light on this : In The Adversary, Aiken says something to the effect "you are a randy lass, we shall share houghmandy anon" (if I remember correctly this was right before his remapping/archetyping). It's clear by the context what houghmandy is but what is its origin? gaelic/scottish?
                I am still wondering who or what Mad Dougal was but that is another issue...
                J.C.

                Do You Yahoo!?
                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              • bob
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 5, 2002
                  What's to wonder about Dougal?

                  An old fashioned knight from Narnia, with a fixation of Aiken as Aslan... nothing strange there. *grin*

                  Okay, I'm fairly certain I remember him being described as Scottish, but I can't remember which book...

                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 5, 2002
                    OKay, now I'm gonna have  to go back and find what intrigued me so much. I seem to remember that he *knew* things about Aiken that even startled Aiken.

                    Claire
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 5, 2002

                      Actually, the main two things to wonder about in the case of Dougal:

                      - He knew Aiken came from MacGregor sperm. I do not have his rantings in front of me but basically he says Aiken was fathered yet was fatherless and his crest was from MacGregor clan.

                      - Aiken could not probe him with his Redaction and since I believe he meets him after his mental surgery, he should have been in tip-top shape. I admit Aiken was not a master-class redactor but still...

                      Thanks for the quick response folks.

                      J.C.

                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 5, 2002
                        J.C. DuVal wrote:
                        >Actually, the main two things to wonder about in the case of Dougal:
                        >- He knew Aiken came from MacGregor sperm. I do not have his rantings in front
                        >of me but basically he says Aiken was fathered yet was fatherless and his crest
                        >was from MacGregor clan.
                        >- Aiken could not probe him with his Redaction and since I believe he meets him
                        >after his mental surgery, he should have been in tip-top shape. I admit Aiken
                        >was not a master-class redactor but still...

                        Hey J.C. I don't know if you have read the archives but the suggestion that
                        comes up again and again about Dougal was that he was in some way a Unifex
                        plant. There have been all sorts of suggestions...from the one that Unifex
                        disguised himself as Dougal and went through the portal to the idea that
                        perhaps Unifex simply planted information, fixations, and barriers in
                        Dougal's brain, to lead him to attach himself to Aiken and give him some
                        idea of the royal destiny which awaited him. I myself have wavered over both
                        directions...Unifex doesn't appear to be present in a large way in the
                        milieu whilst the exiles saga goes on (N.B. that reminds me, does anyone
                        know if time passes at the same rate in both milieu and pliocene earth? ie.
                        if you went to the milieu for three days and then returned to pliocene would
                        three days have passed there?).
                        On the other hand Dougal stays in the Pliocene doesn't he? Which would
                        suggest a subtler form of mucking around in Dougal's mind. I can imagine
                        Unifex hunting around for info about the past of Group Green and then
                        priming Dougal as a mystic on the destiny of Aiken. The problem with this
                        idea though is that Marc was not present at most of the discussions between
                        Dougal and Aiken, so how would Unifex know what type of information to
                        implant?
                        Alternatively, perhaps Dougal (though not a true operant metapsychic) has a
                        type of prolepsis and manages to perceive past and future as it regards
                        Aiken (because of his confusion with Aslan??).

                        The question about Dougal is one of the big questions I would ask JM if I
                        ever met her. What other big questions do people have? The question about
                        how Rogi could call up so much power in his X-man scenarios would have to be
                        another. Was it Unifex boosting his creativity, or the Great Carbuncle at
                        least? Or is it intended as a grace note to all readers about the potential
                        of all human minds??

                        Leda
                      • clarissafarrington
                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 7, 2002
                          I wondered about Dougal as well. My thought was that he was some sort
                          of relation to Aiken. Although he failed Epone's test, he showed
                          flashes of mental abilities.

                          The other thing was his knowledge of Aiken - from memory it was not
                          that detailed, and the non-born thing was fairly common knowledge?

                          Clarissa