Rogi , rogea , rog -i or rogy

  • leifthoreson
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 31, 2002
      I've loved JM books since I picked up my first in 1988,or 1989 but I
      have a question for the JM readers out there. When reading the later
      books I always pronounce the name Rogi as Rog - e , My mother inlaw
      always pronounces it Rog -i ... and there is a comment made about the
      name Rogi pronounced incorrectly meaning something off color. ( I
      believe Rogi told Denis to use the name Roger while he worked at the
      hotel but it's been years since I read that passage). Is it Rog E or
      Rog I or something else?
      Leif
    • Mike Vallender
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 31, 2002
        I don't know the official answer to this Leif, but in my head it always
        rings Rog E, which is probably wrong :-)

        Regards

        Mike Vallender

        I've loved JM books since I picked up my first in 1988,or 1989 but I
        have a question for the JM readers out there. When reading the later
        books I always pronounce the name Rogi as Rog - e , My mother inlaw
        always pronounces it Rog -i ... and there is a comment made about the
        name Rogi pronounced incorrectly meaning something off color. ( I
        believe Rogi told Denis to use the name Roger while he worked at the
        hotel but it's been years since I read that passage). Is it Rog E or
        Rog I or something else?
        Leif

        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • g.norfolk
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 31, 2002
          In intervention Rogatien himself says it is pronounced as in ROGUE EE. iIn other books Malama calls him 'rogue'. Suits him!

          Helen.

          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 1, 2002

            I would go for row-gee since it was how Rogatien Vachon's name was pronounced when he was an NHL goalie.

            J.C.

            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 1, 2002
              Helen wrote:
              >In intervention Rogatien himself says it is pronounced as in ROGUE EE. iIn
              >other books Malama calls him 'rogue'. Suits him!

              Welcome to the list Leif.
              I too think of Rogi as Rogue-ee, but really I guess he would have one of
              those names which people pronounce differently depending on their accent
              etc. I get a lot of variations on my name - Le-tish-a, Le-tee-sha,
              Le-tee-c-a - but it is still my name. So to the staff at white mountain he
              probably was Roge-ee, to French speakers more like Row-gee as J.C.
              suggested...

              Leda
            • J.C. DuVal
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 5, 2002

                I have been wondering about this for a long while so perhaps someone can shed some light on this : In The Adversary, Aiken says something to the effect "you are a randy lass, we shall share houghmandy anon" (if I remember correctly this was right before his remapping/archetyping). It's clear by the context what houghmandy is but what is its origin? gaelic/scottish?

                I am still wondering who or what Mad Dougal was but that is another issue...

                J.C.

                Do You Yahoo!?
              • Claire
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 5, 2002
                  Here is a snippet about houghmagandy from http://www.worldwidewords.org/weirdwords/ww-hou1.htm : "It's a rare word these days, but as it has a grand sound - and it is of such universal application - perhaps somebody should begin a campaign to restore it to common usage. One well-known appearance is in Vladimir Nabokov's book Pale Fire: "She would have preferred him to have gone through a bit of wholesome houghmagandy with the wench". We do know the word was originally Scots, as the guttural gh indicates.[...]"

                  I've always wondered about Dougal too...
                  Claire

                  J. C. wrote:
                  I have been wondering about this for a long while so perhaps someone can shed some light on this : In The Adversary, Aiken says something to the effect "you are a randy lass, we shall share houghmandy anon" (if I remember correctly this was right before his remapping/archetyping). It's clear by the context what houghmandy is but what is its origin? gaelic/scottish?

                  I am still wondering who or what Mad Dougal was but that is another issue...

                • bob
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 5, 2002
                    Houghmagandy is Scottish/Gaelic for sex.

                    It is not to be confused with Hogmanay, which is New Year..., though perhaps Houghmagandy at Hogmanay can be expected. *grin*

                    I have been wondering about this for a long while so perhaps someone can shed some light on this : In The Adversary, Aiken says something to the effect "you are a randy lass, we shall share houghmandy anon" (if I remember correctly this was right before his remapping/archetyping). It's clear by the context what houghmandy is but what is its origin? gaelic/scottish?
                    I am still wondering who or what Mad Dougal was but that is another issue...
                    J.C.

                    Do You Yahoo!?
                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  • bob
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 5, 2002
                      What's to wonder about Dougal?

                      An old fashioned knight from Narnia, with a fixation of Aiken as Aslan... nothing strange there. *grin*

                      Okay, I'm fairly certain I remember him being described as Scottish, but I can't remember which book...

                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 5, 2002
                        OKay, now I'm gonna have  to go back and find what intrigued me so much. I seem to remember that he *knew* things about Aiken that even startled Aiken.

                        Claire

                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 5, 2002

                          Actually, the main two things to wonder about in the case of Dougal:

                          - He knew Aiken came from MacGregor sperm. I do not have his rantings in front of me but basically he says Aiken was fathered yet was fatherless and his crest was from MacGregor clan.

                          - Aiken could not probe him with his Redaction and since I believe he meets him after his mental surgery, he should have been in tip-top shape. I admit Aiken was not a master-class redactor but still...

                          Thanks for the quick response folks.

                          J.C.

                          Message 12 of 13 , Aug 5, 2002
                            J.C. DuVal wrote:
                            >Actually, the main two things to wonder about in the case of Dougal:
                            >- He knew Aiken came from MacGregor sperm. I do not have his rantings in front
                            >of me but basically he says Aiken was fathered yet was fatherless and his crest
                            >was from MacGregor clan.
                            >- Aiken could not probe him with his Redaction and since I believe he meets him
                            >after his mental surgery, he should have been in tip-top shape. I admit Aiken
                            >was not a master-class redactor but still...

                            Hey J.C. I don't know if you have read the archives but the suggestion that
                            comes up again and again about Dougal was that he was in some way a Unifex
                            plant. There have been all sorts of suggestions...from the one that Unifex
                            disguised himself as Dougal and went through the portal to the idea that
                            perhaps Unifex simply planted information, fixations, and barriers in
                            Dougal's brain, to lead him to attach himself to Aiken and give him some
                            idea of the royal destiny which awaited him. I myself have wavered over both
                            directions...Unifex doesn't appear to be present in a large way in the
                            milieu whilst the exiles saga goes on (N.B. that reminds me, does anyone
                            know if time passes at the same rate in both milieu and pliocene earth? ie.
                            if you went to the milieu for three days and then returned to pliocene would
                            three days have passed there?).
                            On the other hand Dougal stays in the Pliocene doesn't he? Which would
                            suggest a subtler form of mucking around in Dougal's mind. I can imagine
                            Unifex hunting around for info about the past of Group Green and then
                            priming Dougal as a mystic on the destiny of Aiken. The problem with this
                            idea though is that Marc was not present at most of the discussions between
                            Dougal and Aiken, so how would Unifex know what type of information to
                            implant?
                            Alternatively, perhaps Dougal (though not a true operant metapsychic) has a
                            type of prolepsis and manages to perceive past and future as it regards
                            Aiken (because of his confusion with Aslan??).

                            The question about Dougal is one of the big questions I would ask JM if I
                            ever met her. What other big questions do people have? The question about
                            how Rogi could call up so much power in his X-man scenarios would have to be
                            another. Was it Unifex boosting his creativity, or the Great Carbuncle at
                            least? Or is it intended as a grace note to all readers about the potential
                            of all human minds??

                            Leda
                          • clarissafarrington
                            Message 13 of 13 , Aug 7, 2002
                              I wondered about Dougal as well. My thought was that he was some sort
                              of relation to Aiken. Although he failed Epone's test, he showed
                              flashes of mental abilities.

                              The other thing was his knowledge of Aiken - from memory it was not
                              that detailed, and the non-born thing was fairly common knowledge?

                              Clarissa