Reply to Mike V (belated)

  • g.norfolk
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 31, 2002
      Hi Mike,

      A belated thankyou for your welcome to the group. That also holds true for bob, leda, clarrissa, nicolette, seona, tony and anyone else whose names I left off the list..sorry.

      I've been meaning to reply for some time but I was mulling over a number of things you have said in various pieces of mail and wanted some time to pull my thoughts together so as to speak.

      Firstly, our prayers go with you on the IVF issue. I think that you and your wife are quite right to take an open approach on this issue. I have two friends who tried for years for a child. They had said when they first married that they would try for a family immediately and much to everyones surprise nothing seemed to happen. They put a brave face on it all, pretending that they weren't bothered/trying that hard when all the while they were becoming more and more desperate. We, not just self but whole circle of friends only found out how dire and insupportable things had become when a child was finally born. They then confessed that they had been in a treatment program for years! We all wished that they had felt that they didnt have to travel the path alone and could have come to us for love and support. They had felt that they didn't want to burden people with their problem. Is this a British thing, the stiff upper lip?

      Thankyou for your comments about being a full time mum being a privelege. It is. And one that every day I thank God for, a sentiment that Clarrissa and other parents in the group would agree with i think. Something that I hope for you and your wife.

      I think I will have to give your favorite film Gattacca a re-visit. Unfortunately it was watched in time-share mode while I was attempting several other things at same time so it didnt really go in with me properly. I found the whole idea of only the genetically engineered being allowed to go into space quite disturbing. And enjoyed the bit when he 'fessed up to the girl that he wasn't the perfect partner that she had imagined.

      I'm up to the 550 mark in the archives. Theres some pretty deep stuff in there concerning genes and hereditery.

      Unabashed Marc fan. Same here mate. He works for me on many levels. I became facinated with his character on the first reading of the Pliocene series, but didnt quite understand the full horror of what he had done until I had completed the Milieu series. This was one of the reasons I had to keep going back to re-read all of the books again and again.

      I was brought up strict RC rather like the Remillards and have familliarity with thre whole 'as it was then, is now, ever shall be, world without end' concept that underpins these books. When I was nine I was almost expelled from school by the nuns for daring to challenge catholic dogma concerning the nature of sin, damnation and contrition. The church and I parted ways when I was sixteen, with our parish priest limiting himself to the comment that I should find a religion more suited to my paricular beliefs. Was JM brought up RC...she seems to possess the deep knowledge and understanding of catholic theology.

      It is interesting to note Marcs personal journey from damnation to possible salvation via his atonement. I particularly enjoy the interaction between his carnate and incarnate selves in JtB and M. The title Magnificat to me was so appropriate ..fufilment of a great scheme stretching accross eons and with its completion the oportunity for new growth. There are other people who can probably express it better than myself. I actually agree with JM's decision not to write any more books in these series. Shes letting us carry on the enjoyment by allowing us to decide what possibly comes next, how things tie together. After all at the end of the day, it is only a damn good story not gospel.

      As for your idea of casting a US wrestling star for Stein ( and I suggest maybe even more of the heroicly bodied fighter characters) I'm all for it. The kids enjoy thre wrestling so I have watched a fair old bit. I am a Rock fan..and he was good in the Voyager episode when he had to fight SevenofNine. There are alot of secondary charcters in the books that are not that deeply drawn and can be tackled by a competant but not neccessarily *brilliant* actor. And as we all know that the wrestling is half acting half athleticism we might be able to trawel the WWE at al for some talent!

      Russel Crowe is a good actor but I cant see him as Marc unfortunatly, the face just isnt right. I could see mad Commodus actor Joaquin Phoenix as Marc. (duck the tomatos!!). But I can also see him as Victor, they are a similar dark physical/mental type.

      Anyway, this email is getting too long, so will stop now.

      Helen
    • g.norfolk

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 31, 2002

          Hi Helen and everyone

          Thank you for your kind thoughts regarding IVF, unfortunately this time around was another no show :-(   We go again in a couple of months.  It was exciting to get to the next stage however, and our spirits are as high as can be.  At least we know it will happen if we persevere.  My wife often reads the birth notices and sees couples on the IVF who have been trying for 5 years; I understand now how this can happen, as you can only really try 4 times a year.  Even if you successfully create embryo, there is still only a 20% chance it will go to term.  Better than none at all though.  So everyone please keep up the positive thought vigil, I am sure it all helps.

          Gattaca should be savoured, the movie is very subtle and much is read between the lines.  The acting is superb and the story line, for me at least, is quite thought provoking.  I hope you enjoy it.

          Ploughing through the archives I see, it is a bit of a slog, but worthwhile.  I found it interesting to watch the growth of the group, the main stayers have certainly kept it alive and it is always interesting to watch members come and go.  As I mentioned before, in a previous life, I ran Australia’s largest discussion forum on Stocks and Shares, we had 50 thousand registered members (about 12k active) at one stage, the community ebbed and flowed, but it was always fascinating.  This is a great group because we all have Julian’s work as common thread, which means we are all connected at that level.

          I feel like I already know a number of people on this list, yet we are geographically disperse and unlikely to ever physically meet.  We have in effect created our own mini unity, which we can move in and out of as we involve ourselves in the group.

          Another Marc fan, well as I have discovered, there are quite a few round these parts :-)

          I must admit, as I have just re read TMCL and GT again, I’m really warming to Aiken.  He definitely has his less redeeming qualities, but it is easy to forget he is so young and so suddenly elevated.  He is an opportunist, which appeals to me, and he always makes his decisions when he has to.  Like Marc, I think Aiken had a view that no body could really understand his power, so they would have to accept his judgement.  Let’s see if I am still warm at the end of the exiles.

          I too was brought up a RC, and like wise parted company at around 14, I was even an altar boy for a little while, until they kicked me out for tossing marbles at the statues in the stable scene at Christmas (small chuckle).  Julian must have had some exposure to RC, her references are very strong.  My big fall out with RC happened when I was told not to try and understand the holy trinity but just to just to accept it – Yeh whatever

          Well Marc’s atonement is still a big topic for debate; there are some, who feel he never atones?  I like you though feel he does, although I think he still feels the Mental Man Project was right (that ought to open that can of worms again)

          I also think, begrudgingly, that you are right about no more books.  Julian has done a great many people a favour with her work and it must be hard for her to try and create new work with that legacy.  I still wish she would get on the net though and share some thoughts with us.

          Yes, bring on the wrestlers, having just read the Grand Combat I can see some of those brutes on either side :-) 20,000 firvulag, might need some ILM to help there.

          Don’t think anybody liked my idea of Russ for Marc, oh well.  I couldn’t see him playing a secondary role, unless it was one of the Firvulag, maybe the king of the Howlers?  No wonder they never made this movie :-)

          Well I must go and do some work, I have just launched a new company today http://www.australianintranets.com/press.htm , hopefully I can make enough money to finance the new movie :-)

          High thoughts to all…

          Regards

          Mike Vallender