Re: Up to Date and ready to go

  • nicoletteb5
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 16, 2002
      Hiya Mike,

      I hope all goes well today for your wife!

      --- In Julian-May-discuss@y..., "Mike Vallender" <mike@v...> wrote:
      > Thanks for the Welcome Nicolette and high thoughts too you also.
      >
      > Yes I spent way too many hours on Saturday with my feet up, just
      going
      > through one post at a time, some of the philosophical debate and the
      > genetic analysis was a bit deep, but I will come back to that
      another
      > time.

      Well, just feel free to start up threads any time :-)

      > I am as much interested in online community development as much as
      > anything else. The ability of people to arrange themselves in
      virtual
      > groups, with common interests has long been a fascination of mine.
      In
      > my largest on line project, we had 50k registered members; it was
      > interesting that only about 1% were active contributors, as you can
      > probably guess I was in the one percent :-)

      It's hard to believe out of so many people registered only 1% were
      active! Ouch.

      > Unabashed Marc fan, what can I say?

      Good for you ;-)

      > Love Buffy, Love Angel, I have the entire series on DVD (what's
      > available that is), and my wife and I have watched them from start
      > finish, I have only just got series 4 for Buffy, so no spoilers
      please
      > :-)
      > We have finished series 3 of Angel

      Hmmm...you're more up to date with Angel! Season 1 Angel has only
      just finished here in NZ, whereas Season 6 Buffy has just started
      here...

      > In case anyone is interested, I am a big fan of, B5, all things
      start
      > trek, Star wars, Red Dwarf, Star Gate, Hitchhikers (whole series
      just
      > came out on DVD) and friends (sorry, off genre I know, but I am a
      fan)

      It's good to see you are interested in quite a few things.
      Transgressions like watching Friends I will forgive <grin>.

      > Yes, waiting for the Intervention was a little like waiting for the
      LOTR
      > movies, just couldn't wait to see it. I am not 100% sure that I
      have my
      > dates right, my early 20's are a bit vague now :-)
      >
      > I think it was 89 I read it, could have been 88, who knows, I
      remember I
      > enjoyed it very much.

      Intervention is one of my favourites, it's interesting seeing events
      happen from Rogi's viewpoint, the least important person in the eyes
      of his family but who is really the one who has held the family
      together.

      > My favourite scene in Gattaca, it still moves me to think about it
      now,
      > was when the two brothers were swimming out into the ocean for the
      last
      > time as teenagers and Ethan Hawke, the smaller brother beat him.
      The
      > older brother who was 'technically' genetically enhanced couldn't
      work
      > out how he did it. Ethan's response (can't remember characters
      name),
      > said he secret was he saved nothing for the return trip.
      >
      > That made a lot of sense to me; you can do anything if you don't
      turn
      > back, as the story teaches us as it unfolds.

      Yes, I remember that scene. The 'perfect' brother was amazed at the
      end how far the 'inferior' brother had progessed in life..

      > I think we agree on SMG, she is awesome. Speaking of Cruel
      intentions,
      > I am sure we could find a place for Ryan Phillipe, my wife assures
      me he
      > is the most handsome man on the planet. I think he definitely has
      Tanu
      > like qualities.

      I agree Ryan could play a Tanu, heh. He is nice on the eyes that's
      for sure!

      > Well I had better stop there, and yes I am pleased I found this
      group.

      Glad to have you aboard :-)

    • Mike Vallender
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 17, 2002

        Thanks Nicolette,

        Well I just found out moments ago that we have successfully created 5 embryos, creating embryos of course for most people is not a hard thing to do, from our perspective it would not have been possible without the modern advances in science.

        Going through this process has really made me think about the moment life is created, I know for sure that if we conceive a baby, it will be as a result of what has happened so far, really quite overwhelming.  My wife goes back to hospital on Saturday for Embryo implant and then it is up to the gods.

        I can’t really add any more to this right now, my heading is spinning too much.

        High thoughts to all

        Regards

        Mike Vallender

> [...]

        name),
        > said he secret was he saved nothing for the return trip.

        > That made a lot of sense to me; you can do anything if you don't
        turn
        > back, as the story teaches us as it unfolds.

        Yes, I remember that scene. The 'perfect' brother was amazed at the
        end how far the 'inferior' brother had progessed in life..

        > I think we agree on SMG, she is awesome.  Speaking of Cruel
        intentions,
        > I am sure we could find a place for Ryan Phillipe, my wife assures
        me he
        > is the most handsome man on the planet.  I think he definitely has
        Tanu
        > like qualities.

        I agree Ryan could play a Tanu, heh. He is nice on the eyes that's
        for sure!

        > Well I had better stop there, and yes I am pleased I found this

      • Lazarus, Tony
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 18, 2002
          Mike

          I have been silently following this thread - well pleased at the news, fingers crossed fo rthe next stage and best of luck.

          Have you read "Inconceivable" by Ben Elton which is a fictionalised account of something the author and his partner actually went through? May ring a few familiar bells I reckon.

          Regards

          Tone

> [...]

          name),
          > said he secret was he saved nothing for the return trip.

          > That made a lot of sense to me; you can do anything if you don't
          turn
          > back, as the story teaches us as it unfolds.

          Yes, I remember that scene. The 'perfect' brother was amazed at the
          end how far the 'inferior' brother had progessed in life..

          > I think we agree on SMG, she is awesome.  Speaking of Cruel
          intentions,
          > I am sure we could find a place for Ryan Phillipe, my wife assures
          me he
          > is the most handsome man on the planet.  I think he definitely has
          Tanu
          > like qualities.

          I agree Ryan could play a Tanu, heh. He is nice on the eyes that's
          for sure!

          > Well I had better stop there, and yes I am pleased I found this

          This e-mail may be privileged and/or confidential, and the sender does not waive any related rights and obligations. Any distribution, use or copying of this e-mail or the information it contains by other than an intended recipient is unauthorized. If you received this e-mail in error, please advise me (by return e-mail or otherwise) immediately.

          Ce courriel est confidentiel et protégé. L'expéditeur ne renonce pas aux droits et obligations qui s'y rapportent. Toute diffusion, utilisation ou copie de ce message ou des renseignements qu'il contient par une personne autre que le (les) destinataire(s) désigné(s) est interdite. Si vous recevez ce courriel par erreur, veuillez m'en aviser immédiatement, par retour de courriel ou par un autre moyen.

        • Mike Vallender
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 18, 2002

            Hi Tony

            Thanks for the positive energy and luck well wishing.

            I haven’t read Inconceivable, but I have seen “Maybe Baby”, the movie, which I think was based on the same book – very funny.  Easy for us to relate to and have a good laugh at ourselves.

            Regards

            Mike Vallender