Somewhat off topic, was: Up to Date and ready to go

  • bob
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 16, 2002

      Hello again Mike,

      There really isn't anything of mine you might of read - unless it was the crossover script between Star Trek NG and Red Dwarf that found its way on to the internet a few years back. I'd sent it too a fanzine for fun and somebody there just posted it to Usenet without telling me!!!

      And certainly you couldn't of seen any of my work because none has ever been produced - came close a couple of times, but never quite made it. There is an odd set-up here in the UK, if you don't have an agent, where production companies can 'option' a script; this basically means they can pay a nominal fee, which stops you passing the script to another company for a given amount of time. The idea is that the script can then go through the various and convoluted routes of Creatives, Executives and Feasibility and Budget Controls without having to worry about being 'pipped at the post' by a rival outfit. In reality it means an independent writer can earn akin to basic wage but the chance of getting a full production is very small - despite the usual appeals for talent that the media has every now then. On the plus side it does allow a passionate writer to exist while trying to break the market or support them while they write something they truly believe in. It also allows the occasional amateur such as myself a deal of gratification just to be accepted amongst the professionals.

      Out of around a dozen or so scripts, I and my erstwhile writing partner have had seven (give or take) optioned by various companies - mainly the BBC - which is nice, but again I'll stick to artwork to keep me and mine going.

      As to the other points, in your other posts:

      a) Thanks for the offer of webspace - as you've probably read I'ver offered Pallol's Place in its entirety for free as a starting place to any like minded individual who wants to take the task on, and the offer still stands.

      b) I had pictured Elizabeth as being played by Elizabeth Shue or Helen Hunt

      c) I still have reservations about Seth Green and Russell Crowe playing either Marc or Aiken - powerful yes, but can you see them playing the ole rap scallions in their more overly romantic or whimsical actions. I can't see Seth Green building a huge phallus as a teenager can you or Russell Crowe for that matter?

      d) Can I also throw in the name Judi Dench to play Madame Guderian? Thanks muchly.

      e) And finally as you were talking about getting the Buffy/Angel cast in to this film, can I just nominate Charisma Carpenter (Cordelia) to play Felice.

      regards

      Bob
    • Mike Vallender
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 17, 2002

        Thanks Bob

        Funny you mention that crossover script, I may have read it not sure, read a lot of stuff on the NET over the past 10 years, particularly way off mainstream stuff, like that sounded :-)  If you still have, and you don’t mind, flick it to me, could be a collectors item one day :-)

        Have you had a look at www.blogger.com ?  Blogging (WebLogging), apparently is the latest craze, worth a look for anyone wanting to self publish.

        It sounds like you are going down the long and winding road of media production, just keep going would be my advice you obviously have talent it is clearly on display, just need to keep persevering.  Look How Long it took Julian May to gain success as an artist.

        My plan is to retire from the Rat Race @ 50 (rich or poor) and begin my life writing Sci-Fi.  This gives me 14 years to keep developing my skills and collecting experience, I have had the same plan for at least 10 years; I would like to think I can see it through.

        Your pallol.com content would be terrific for a fan site?  What is the status on this currently has it still got momentum?

        I still think some polls on the movie would be a good idea.

        Regards

        Mike Vallender

        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 18, 2002

          Hi Mike,

          First and foremost, congratulations on the success of step one. If good will helps, I think you've got a mini metaconcert right here in this group sending you all the redaction vibes we can muster. *grin*. I know the support I and Clare received after her 'accident' through this group was tremendously helpful in the darker moments of her recovery.

          As to the career though; I'm currently Creative Director for  one of the UK's largest Internet Companies, which allows me more creative freedom and media 'dabbling' then any other path I've taken and at 37 I've been through most aspects of design for well over 20 years. Media in this country would necessitate me moving to London - a city, which to me, is second only to Johannesburg in my nightmares - and in all honestly only pay much of what I'm now. There are independents outside the capital but they are not as well financed and work in niche markets only, which somewhat pretentiously I admit, I'd now find very limiting.

          After all one day I can be arranging, storyboarding and conducting a video shoot, the next I could be working in Flash and Photoshop for HTML, then the next day hand drawing caricatures and cartoons or creating 3D computer animations then creating print material. I get to work with such diverse people as Members of Parliament, Local Government Officials, Heads of Commercial Media, Teachers and pupils from pre-school up to Higher Education students. This is pretty much as good as it gets for a designer in this country and I couldn't be happier unless they paid me even more money, which would then allow me to retire -l ike yourself - well before 60. Unlike yourself, I intend to stop working completely, buy a big boat and bog-off around Europe and the Med! I'll just need to take my computer, handcam, choice of books and of course the woman I love and I'll be a happy chappy!

          Perhaps I'll name the boat Kyllikki *grin*

          regards

          Bob

        • bob
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 18, 2002

            Pallol's does still get traffic, it has died down over the past few months but it still averages between 800 and a 1000 or so hits a month, which isn't bad considering that it isn't widely publicized and hasn't been updated in months.

            I don't have the script/story anymore but for what its worth it involved the Red Dwarf arriving through a subspace anomaly in the neutral zone, after Rimmer panicked and tried to abort Holly's latest attempt to short cut them home, which sparked off a Romulan/Federation conflict. Rimmer's holo-technology allowed Moriarty to really leave the holodeck and work with Spock to undermine the Roman Tel-sh'ar, while Data's positronic brain helped update Kryton's independance circuits turning him completely bolshi. In the mean time Cat found himself fighting in Starbug alongside Worf - which sounded too much like woof for his liking - and Lister fell in love with Troi. It all got very confusing especially when Holly had to take over the running of the Enterprise because the ship's memory core and back-up became isolated after a battle - but had possibilities at least for say a graphic novel crossover kind of thing.

            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 19, 2002

              Thanks for the congratulations Bob

              All positive thoughts add up, that’s for sure.

              I was thinking after reading your reply that I hope you took my perseverance message for what it was, which was just encouragement for your ‘outside of every day career’ activity.  As creative director of a large Internet Company, you have already achieved a level of success that many people can only strive for.  From reading this reply it sounds like you wrote your own position description, with fun and creativity in mind :-)  Unfortunately I always seem to end up at the business end of technology, and my only real fun is outside of my various jobs, hence my frustrated ambitions to write creatively.

              I hope you manage to build your Kyllikki and sail it with you partner for many years, just make sure you have the big satellite dish strapped to the top so you can beam in the our new weekly hit series, the saga of the exiles etc…

              At 37, I guess that puts you in the 1965 vintage, which is the same as me, a very good year :-)

              Also congratulations to group on its upcoming 2nd birthday, I think the new influx of members can partly be attributed to Yahoo taking over Egroups, because Yahoo is powered by Google, the list will now be well placed on any search via Yahoo or Google.  I used to play around with Yahoo clubs, which merged with Egroups, and is now a much better service.

              Regards

              Mike Vallender

              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 19, 2002
                Hi Mike,

                no offence meant or taken.

                I have to agree that IT has pretty much created an either or scenario, which I find very reminiscent of the Rebel's cause - didn't one of them have to give up being a virtuoso violinist to study universal field theory? Like yourself I am lucky to have been born at a time where my explorative years coincided with the advent of home computing and as there were little or no qualifications for these things I was neither guided or pressured into a preconceived role as such it was a relatively easy segue-way for me from the traditional to the computerised.

                Even so, I completely agree some form of expressionism outside of the workplace is essential, whether it is the ability to paint, write, decorate, garden or simply to read a favourite author and let the imagination run away.

                I though am incredibly lucky enough to have my creative side satiated by my work and as such my personal activities are simply for relaxation and I don't have the need or ambition to take them any further unless that happens by chance.

                regards my new friend to you and yours

                Bob

                I'm far too busy for a mid-life crisis, although my friends do seem to enjoy them! *grin*

                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 21, 2002
                  >Perhaps I'll name the boat Kyllikki *grin*

                  If I had a boat I think I would name it Kyllikki, though I think I remember
                  telling the group last summer that there is a yacht which sails on Sydney
                  Harbour and moors at Kiribilli called Magnificat. Which I happen to think is
                  a not bad name for a boat.
                  I know someone who had a boat named Shadowfax when they were a kid.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 21, 2002
                    HI Mike,

                    >Also congratulations to group on its upcoming 2nd birthday, I think the new
                    >influx of members can partly be attributed to Yahoo taking over Egroups,
                    >because Yahoo is powered by Google, the list will now be well placed on any
                    >search via Yahoo or Google. I used to play around with Yahoo clubs, which
                    >merged with Egroups, and is now a much better service.

                    Hi Mike, thanks for the congrats. I started on egroups as well - my first
                    list was a Darkover one which then moved to Yahoo Groups when they merged. I
                    hadn't really caught on to the opportunities lists provided then, and didn't
                    join another group until a review I wrote on Amazon got me an invite to a
                    Yahoo Club for Sharon Kay Penman fans. Then I started clicking on (excuse
                    the pun) and joined a few more Clubs, but I never liked the format there.
                    But I met Avalon in that club and we discussed setting up this list, but
                    decided the format here was better, the rest is history.
                    A few lists I am on have now abandoned the Yahoo Groups format and set up
                    there own but I still like this service. Certainly as a moderator it is easy
                    to work out.
                    I always wondered why we came up so high on the searches - interesting.

                  • Mike Vallender
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 21, 2002
                      Hi Leticia

                      Well I think you created a great group. I guess anybody who is a Julian
                      May fan would have to be a pretty interesting, which I think this group
                      clearly demonstrates.

                      I think Yahoo Groups is a pretty neat service. I use a lot of Yahoo
                      services now and I really believe they are going to be one of the big
                      winners from the dot com period.

                      A lot must have happened in your own world since starting the group; it
                      is interesting how these things get a life of their own.

                      I had to chuckle at some of the Covers from around the world, it is
                      amazing how the artwork for books has evolved over the years.

                      Well hopefully, Julian's next series will be as inspiring as the
                      Exiles/Milieu series and can bring in the next generation of fans, who
                      will of course be lucky enough to discover the previous works. Unlike
                      the rest of us who had to read the series over a decade.

                      Where are things up to with respect to the official fan site? Did the
                      letter go off?

                      Bob has graciously agreed to provide content from his site and I would
                      be happy to host it, I guess we just have to get permission.

                      Anyway, lets see what happens.

                      Regards

                      Mike Vallender
                      >Also congratulations to group on its upcoming 2nd birthday, I think the
                      new
                      >influx of members can partly be attributed to Yahoo taking over
                      Egroups,
                      >because Yahoo is powered by Google, the list will now be well placed on
                      any
                      >search via Yahoo or Google. I used to play around with Yahoo clubs,
                      which
                      >merged with Egroups, and is now a much better service.

                      Hi Mike, thanks for the congrats. I started on egroups as well - my
                      first
                      list was a Darkover one which then moved to Yahoo Groups when they
                      merged. I
                      hadn't really caught on to the opportunities lists provided then, and
                      didn't
                      join another group until a review I wrote on Amazon got me an invite to
                      Yahoo Club for Sharon Kay Penman fans. Then I started clicking on
                      (excuse
                      the pun) and joined a few more Clubs, but I never liked the format
                      there.
                      But I met Avalon in that club and we discussed setting up this list, but
                      decided the format here was better, the rest is history.
                      A few lists I am on have now abandoned the Yahoo Groups format and set
                      up
                      there own but I still like this service. Certainly as a moderator it is
                      easy
                      to work out.
                      I always wondered why we came up so high on the searches - interesting.

                      Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to