Re: Geographic Areas

  • clarissafarrington
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 11, 2002
      Wasn't there some discussion about Denali being an "Alaskan" planet -
      that would be AMerican wouldn't it. I think Assawoms....(whereever
      Richard came from!) was american.

      PS all the world should know that koalas are vicious beasts that can
      attack!

      --- In Julian-May-discuss@y..., "bob" <pallol@b...> wrote:
      > Right then my little half crazed koala cuddlier (Okay I'm guessing!)
      >
      > Right there is as good a reason for leaving the Aussie's out of the
      books. You can't wipe out an operant society and be ready for
      inclusion in the Milieu now can you? Why did the British then get
      mentioned - and yes I'm including the Scotish and Irish - simply
      because of the longevity of the people living on these islands.

      > In fact can anyone remember if there were any true USA planets?
      >
      > I'm not certain but as both Australia and America are 'young'
      countries, with a population relatively close to the original
      immigrants, perhaps they hadn't matured the ethno-dynamism required
      for there own planets and were given cosmop worlds. That was always a
      fudge point for me in the books, how were the planets devided, along
      country lines or 'racial' lines? I mean despite the Canadian French
      having such a huge part in the books, I don't remember any actual
      French planets, but there were a few Celts' mentioned.

      > As to the Hawaiians, I'm pretty certain that they fell under the
      Polynesian grouping.

      > Either way I could do with a bit of the old Hawaiian Enclave right
      now - if just to escape the blasted football coverage!!!

      High
      > in ability - Tukiwala(?) Barnes and even Chief Burke to some
      degree,
      > but not around as a large group.
      >
      > I would guess the Hawaiians would fall into the American ethnic
      > group.
      >
      > Cheers
      >
      > Clarissa
      >
      > (PS Had a think about the Hawaiian enclave on Orb - maybe not a
      bad
      > idea!)
      >
      > --- In Julian-May-discuss@y..., "Bob Powell" <pallol@b...> wrote:
      > > And so the ugly head of nationalism comes once more in to
      view...

      > > I think that statement is cause enough to leave out Aussies
      from
      > JM's books *smile*
      > >
      > > Besides, weren't the aboriginals of Australia supposed
      extremely
      > high in meta-ability but didn't have enough ethno-dynamism to get
      > their own planet?

      Julian-
      > May-
      > > discuss
      > > >

      > > > Hiyas,
      > > >
      > > > Just wondering, are May's books more popular in any
      specific
      > > > geographic areas? I just notice a lot of messages here
      from
      > the
      > > > Australia/NZ area :)
      > > >
      > > > On the other hand, I'm having a lot of trouble
      recommending
      > the
      > > books
      > > > to anyone over here (US), but back in Finland many of my
      > friends
      > > had
      > > > read the books and loved them. Maybe the books fail to
      grip
      > the
      > > > American population?
      > > >
      > > > Anyone made a study or poll over this? :)
      > > >
      > > > //Janne
      > > >

      > > > --- In Julian-May-discuss@y..., Benjamin Frank <ben@i...>
      > > > breakfast in the
      Krondaku
      > > pools ;-
      > > > )

      > regret
      > > > leaving this
      > > back/forward
      > > > and re-read

      > from
      > > > Antartica,
      > especially
      > > the
      > > > warm water

      > on
      > > > Denali - it
      > beaches
      > > > instead <g>.

      carnivorous
      > > plants -
      > > > that

      > <leticia@r...>

      > > like ,there
      > > > is a

      > Karlbeanz,
      > > can
      > has
      > > been
      > only
      > > > please.

      > > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      > > > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      > > >

      > > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      of
      > > Service.
      > >

      > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      > Service.

      Service.
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 11, 2002
        on 11/6/02 5:01 PM, clarissafarrington wrote:
        > Wasn't there some discussion about Denali being an "Alaskan" planet -
        > that would be AMerican wouldn't it. I think Assawoms....(whereever
        > Richard came from!) was american.
        >
        > PS all the world should know that koalas are vicious beasts that can
        > attack!

        Those old 'drop-bears', huh?

        Assawompset is the planet you are thinking of....it was an 'American'
        planet.
        Stewart's Milieu site had a list of all the mentioned planets...I might trot
        over there and have a look what other American planets he had listed.

        Clarissa is right about the 'Australian aboriginal metapsychic locus being
        exterminated', unfortunately.