Geographic Areas

  • bob
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 5, 2002
      Hello Janne

      I suspect that some of the American ennui towards JM's books comes down to the sheer body of work attributed to her (around 180 titles I think, off the top of my head.) most of which are written for children. It is notoriously hard for authors in the states to break out of the genres they are most recognised for, Stephen King writing as Richard Bachman to publish Science fiction for example.

      As to the books being popular in other geographical regions, I doubt if anybody has made a significant study. I guess the only way would be to contact the publishers and see if they're willing to release sales figues for each individual region, and then compare them to population figures. Mind you even that wouldn't be truly accurate, France for instance has NOT had all the translated milieu books released yet - one of the people to contact me through Pallol's Place is going through Jack the Bodiless page by page, with a french english dictionary by his side - now that's dedication!

      When it comes to our antipodean cousins though, I put it down to the abundance of second hand book stores and cold, cold winters..,

      It's quite nice here in the UK at the moment though. *grin*

      regards

      BTFBG
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 5, 2002
        I remember we had this discussion once before, about the number of
        ANZACs (no disrepect intended) on the list and the lack of mention of
        us in the novels.

        I would like to think it is because we can more easily grasp the
        complex ideas and plotlines......

        Clarissa

        Service.
      • Bob Powell
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 6, 2002
          And so the ugly head of nationalism comes once more in to view...

          I think that statement is cause enough to leave out Aussies from JM's books *smile*

          Besides, weren't the aboriginals of Australia supposed extremely high in meta-ability but didn't have enough ethno-dynamism to get their own planet?
          I remember we had this discussion once before, about the number of
          ANZACs (no disrepect intended) on the list and the lack of mention of
          us in the novels.

          I would like to think it is because we can more easily grasp the
          complex ideas and plotlines......

          Clarissa

          --- In Julian-May-discuss@y..., "bob" <pallol@b...> wrote:
          > Hello Janne
          >
          > I suspect that some of the American ennui towards JM's books comes
          down to the sheer body of work attributed to her (around 180 titles I
          think, off the top of my head.) most of which are written for
          children. It is notoriously hard for authors in the states to break
          out of the genres they are most recognised for, Stephen King writing
          as Richard Bachman to publish Science fiction for example.

          > As to the books being popular in other geographical regions, I
          doubt if anybody has made a significant study. I guess the only way
          would be to contact the publishers and see if they're willing to
          release sales figues for each individual region, and then compare
          them to population figures. Mind you even that wouldn't be truly
          accurate, France for instance has NOT had all the translated milieu
          books released yet - one of the people to contact me through Pallol's
          Place is going through Jack the Bodiless page by page, with a french
          english dictionary by his side - now that's dedication!

          > When it comes to our antipodean cousins though, I put it down to
          the abundance of second hand book stores and cold, cold winters..,

          > It's quite nice here in the UK at the moment though. *grin*
          >
          > regards
          >
          > BTFBG

          Service.

        • clarissafarrington
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 6, 2002
            Listen strange man who has an affinity with birds!!...

            I think it was not the ethno-dynamism but that they were nearly
            extinct as a group. A very sad indictment on British Colonisation and
            Australian development!

            I believe from memory it was the same with the American Indians. High
            in ability - Tukiwala(?) Barnes and even Chief Burke to some degree,
            but not around as a large group.

            I would guess the Hawaiians would fall into the American ethnic
            group.

            Cheers

            Clarissa

            (PS Had a think about the Hawaiian enclave on Orb - maybe not a bad
            idea!)

            Service.
          • bob
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 7, 2002
              Right then my little half crazed koala cuddlier (Okay I'm guessing!)

              Right there is as good a reason for leaving the Aussie's out of the books. You can't wipe out an operant society and be ready for inclusion in the Milieu now can you? Why did the British then get mentioned - and yes I'm including the Scotish and Irish - simply because of the longevity of the people living on these islands.

              In fact can anyone remember if there were any true USA planets?

              I'm not certain but as both Australia and America are 'young' countries, with a population relatively close to the original immigrants, perhaps they hadn't matured the ethno-dynamism required for there own planets and were given cosmop worlds. That was always a fudge point for me in the books, how were the planets devided, along country lines or 'racial' lines? I mean despite the Canadian French having such a huge part in the books, I don't remember any actual French planets, but there were a few Celts' mentioned.

              As to the Hawaiians, I'm pretty certain that they fell under the Polynesian grouping.

              Either way I could do with a bit of the old Hawaiian Enclave right now - if just to escape the blasted football coverage!!!

              Listen strange man who has an affinity with birds!!...

              I think it was not the ethno-dynamism but that they were nearly
              extinct as a group. A very sad indictment on British Colonisation and
              Australian development!

              I believe from memory it was the same with the American Indians. High
              in ability - Tukiwala(?) Barnes and even Chief Burke to some degree,
              but not around as a large group.

              I would guess the Hawaiians would fall into the American ethnic
              group.

              Cheers

              Clarissa

              (PS Had a think about the Hawaiian enclave on Orb - maybe not a bad
              idea!)

              --- In Julian-May-discuss@y..., "Bob Powell" <pallol@b...> wrote:
              > And so the ugly head of nationalism comes once more in to view...
              >
              > I think that statement is cause enough to leave out Aussies from
              JM's books *smile*

              > Besides, weren't the aboriginals of Australia supposed extremely
              high in meta-ability but didn't have enough ethno-dynamism to get
              their own planet?

              Service.

            • clarissafarrington
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 11, 2002
                Wasn't there some discussion about Denali being an "Alaskan" planet -
                that would be AMerican wouldn't it. I think Assawoms....(whereever
                Richard came from!) was american.

                PS all the world should know that koalas are vicious beasts that can
                attack!

                Service.
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 11, 2002
                  on 11/6/02 5:01 PM, clarissafarrington wrote:
                  > Wasn't there some discussion about Denali being an "Alaskan" planet -
                  > that would be AMerican wouldn't it. I think Assawoms....(whereever
                  > Richard came from!) was american.
                  >
                  > PS all the world should know that koalas are vicious beasts that can
                  > attack!

                  Those old 'drop-bears', huh?

                  Assawompset is the planet you are thinking of....it was an 'American'
                  planet.
                  Stewart's Milieu site had a list of all the mentioned planets...I might trot
                  over there and have a look what other American planets he had listed.

                  Clarissa is right about the 'Australian aboriginal metapsychic locus being
                  exterminated', unfortunately.