Mother of Aiken Drum?

  • sm_park
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 23, 2002
      Greetings,

      First, I'd like to say that this is a great group! I found a copy of
      The Many Coloured Land by chance about ten years ago and have reread
      the Pliocene and Milieu series a couple of times. I've browsed
      through the postings and have come across many interesting
      discussions. Thanks for inspiring me to start another reread!

      Now, a question from the newbie:

      Is there any mention, in any of the books, of who was Aiken
      Drum's "mother"? I know he's a nonborn, but it is noted that Davy
      MacGregor is the "father". I have been unable to find any note
      regarding a mother. With the stupendous set of metafaculties he has,
      I've wondered how, genetically speaking, Aiken came by them. It
      seems from some of the Paramounts in the Milieu series, that very
      high metaquotient usually is "concentrated" by the merging of two of
      the main lines or strains, if one may be so scientifically crass ;)

      -Seon
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 24, 2002
        Hiya Seon,

        Welcome to the group, I hope you enjoy yourself here!

        As to your question about whom Aiken's mother was, I remember this question
        coming up a little while back and although it's not known who she was one
        theory among us was that his mother was Madeleine Remillard! After all, she
        had donated her eggs for the Mental Man project and after the Rebellion
        there may have been some unused eggs that could have been put to use to
        create 'ordinary' non-born metas. At first I didn't really believe this
        theory, but when I thought about Aiken subsuming Mercy & Nodonn, the idea
        that his mother could have been a Hydra doesn't seem that crazy...

        > First, I'd like to say that this is a great group! I found a copy of
        > The Many Coloured Land by chance about ten years ago and have reread
        > the Pliocene and Milieu series a couple of times. I've browsed
        > through the postings and have come across many interesting
        > discussions. Thanks for inspiring me to start another reread!
        >
        > Now, a question from the newbie:
        >
        > Is there any mention, in any of the books, of who was Aiken
        > Drum's "mother"? I know he's a nonborn, but it is noted that Davy
        > MacGregor is the "father". I have been unable to find any note
        > regarding a mother. With the stupendous set of metafaculties he has,
        > I've wondered how, genetically speaking, Aiken came by them. It
        > seems from some of the Paramounts in the Milieu series, that very
        > high metaquotient usually is "concentrated" by the merging of two of
        > the main lines or strains, if one may be so scientifically crass ;)
        >
        > -Seon

      • bob
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 24, 2002
          Ooh now see that's really nasty... I hadn't thought along those lines at all.

          I personally was leaning more towards one of the Scottish rebels, but the idea of Maddy being Aiken's biological mother does seem more insideous doesn't it!

          That being said I also suspect there might have been a wee bit of Italian creeping in to the Golden One's heritage to account for the Machiavelli likeness...

          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 25, 2002
            Firstly, welcome to Seon, Bastien and other new members.
            Secondly, I never thought too much about Aik's mother. Was this a lapse on
            my part?? Anyway, I guess if I ever did think about it I thought she was
            some nondescript Callie woman, maybe a latent to explain why Aiken was
            latent too....

            Leda
          • bob
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 26, 2002
              <snip>
              Secondly, I never thought too much about Aik's mother. Was this a lapse on
              my part?? Anyway, I guess if I ever did think about it I thought she was
              some nondescript Callie woman, maybe a latent to explain why Aiken was
              latent too....

              Leda
              <snip>

              Greetings Group

              The more I think about it, the more that scenario makes less and less sense.
              (Sorry list mom *smile*)

              Supposedly there must be some 'Quality Control' just to prevent deformities
              ala Jack and also -more importantly - to raise the number of operants on
              distant planets, just as was done on Earth. Presumably this quality control
              would be similar to today's sperm banks where the donors are known but not
              disclosed.

              Why then would they mix genetic material with the potential of Davy
              MacGregor's with a non-operant or latent?

              So to me there are three scenarios:

              1) Somebody made a big boo-boo.
              2) There is an unknown operant female donor, with latency potential.
              3) Atoning Unifex is fiddling about again, and you know how much I HATE the
              Catspaw option, but there it is!

              If we dismiss options 1 and 3, then we have an unknown operant female, who
              could be anybody except a MacGregor, because of the genetic deformity
              control I suggested above.

              Just for the heck of it I'm going to nominate Anne, who would make a great
              donor because of her belief in the operant/unity cause and because being
              celibate it would be her only way of contributing to the gene pool! *grin*

              Am I alone in loving these books for the number of open ends and subtle
              suggestions never answered!!!

              BTBG
            • bshaddo@aol.com
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 27, 2002
                While there are certainly many answers to this conundrum, the Maddy option
                seems unlikely. Her lobotomized body was presumably still on Okanagon when
                it was blown up, unless Unifex fiddled with it (which is a cop-out). One
                solution I hadn't thought of until this moment was that the mother was one of
                Paul Remillard's fourty-something bastard kids, but that would be AWFULLY
                coincidental. Really, with the Remillards' Canadian ancestry, FELICE is a
                more likely Paramount to come from secret Remillard genetic material. The
                easiest guess to make (but one I'm also not too committed to) is that the
                quantum-type jump in human evolution that the Lylmik envisioned was just
                beginning, and that Aiken and Felice's bloodlines just happened to get lost
                because they were huge misfits who had to go away.

                Still, I'm stumped.

                Brian
              • bastien93uk
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 29, 2002
                  Thanks for the welcome Leda

                  I have a question for the group.

                  Does anyone know (or can anyone guess) what exactly Felice's parents
                  did to her to give her sado-masochistic male-directed hyperagression.
                  The books aren't very clear on this, despite giving lots of
                  psychological background for other members of Group Green (Stein and
                  Amerie in particular). The nearest I can gather is that they just
                  ignored her and/or failed to love her, but Creyn hints at something
                  much darker when Elizabeth is redacting Felice.

                  Any ideas?
                • the_brucifer2000
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 1, 2002
                    --- In Julian-May-discuss@y..., bshaddo@a... wrote:
                    > While there are certainly many answers to this conundrum, the Maddy
                    option
                    > seems unlikely. Her lobotomized body was presumably still on
                    Okanagon when
                    > it was blown up, unless Unifex fiddled with it (which is a cop-
                    out). One
                    > solution I hadn't thought of until this moment was that the mother
                    was one of
                    > Paul Remillard's fourty-something bastard kids, but that would be
                    AWFULLY
                    > coincidental. Really, with the Remillards' Canadian ancestry,
                    FELICE is a
                    > more likely Paramount to come from secret Remillard genetic
                    material. The
                    > easiest guess to make (but one I'm also not too committed to) is
                    that the
                    > quantum-type jump in human evolution that the Lylmik envisioned was
                    just
                    > beginning, and that Aiken and Felice's bloodlines just happened to
                    get lost
                    > because they were huge misfits who had to go away.
                    >
                    > Still, I'm stumped.
                    >

                    > Brian
                    The family tree in the back of my copy og Magnicat(del rey first
                    paberback printing) doesn't list a date of death for Maddy.Though
                    this might just be a printing error...
                  • michael deslongchamps

                      Message 10 of 13 , May 5, 2002
                        Well, I guess that's that theory out of the window! :-) I had forgotten that Aiken was of 'pure' Scottish descent. Never mind, that's the fun thing about groups like this; we can nitpick books to pieces.

                        Sent: Sunday, May 05, 2002 11:54 AM

                        Actually, Madeline couldn't have been Aiken's mother since she was of Franco decent and not Scottish.  Aiken is a Test tube baby and his biological parents were genetically screened so as to make sure that the baby would be of "pure" Scottish decent.  We know who his father is, even though the name of his mother is not given, we do know she HAS to be of Scottish decent.  His mother's name isn't really important since she is most likely not important to the story line and is probably not even a character.  Another fact that we kow about her is that she is most probably an Operant.

                        > First, I'd like to say that this is a great group! I found a copy of
                        > The Many Coloured Land by chance about ten years ago and have reread
                        > the Pliocene and Milieu series a couple of times.  I've browsed
                        > through the postings and have come across many interesting
                        > discussions.  Thanks for inspiring me to start another reread!
                        >
                        > Now, a question from the newbie:
                        >
                        > Is there any mention, in any of the books, of who was Aiken
                        > Drum's "mother"?  I know he's a nonborn, but it is noted that Davy
                        > MacGregor is the "father".  I have been unable to find any note
                        > regarding a mother.  With the stupendous set of metafaculties he has,
                        > I've  wondered how, genetically speaking, Aiken came by them.  It
                        > seems from some of the Paramounts in the Milieu series, that very
                        > high metaquotient usually is "concentrated" by the merging of two of
                        > the main lines or strains, if one may be so scientifically crass ;)
                        >
                        > -Seon

                      • Bob Powell
                        Message 11 of 13 , May 5, 2002
                          Not certain thats entirely the case

                          Surely, there is no such thing as a Scottish gene anymore than any other nationality. The only way to show a person's/donor's heritage is to rely on birth register data and as Fury - and even a teenage Marc -proved time and again, records and data in the Milieu can be fudged VERY easily.

                          Sent: Sunday, May 05, 2002 11:54 AM

                          Actually, Madeline couldn't have been Aiken's mother since she was of Franco decent and not Scottish.  Aiken is a Test tube baby and his biological parents were genetically screened so as to make sure that the baby would be of "pure" Scottish decent.  We know who his father is, even though the name of his mother is not given, we do know she HAS to be of Scottish decent.  His mother's name isn't really important since she is most likely not important to the story line and is probably not even a character.  Another fact that we kow about her is that she is most probably an Operant.

                          > First, I'd like to say that this is a great group! I found a copy of
                          > The Many Coloured Land by chance about ten years ago and have reread
                          > the Pliocene and Milieu series a couple of times.  I've browsed
                          > through the postings and have come across many interesting
                          > discussions.  Thanks for inspiring me to start another reread!
                          >
                          > Now, a question from the newbie:
                          >
                          > Is there any mention, in any of the books, of who was Aiken
                          > Drum's "mother"?  I know he's a nonborn, but it is noted that Davy
                          > MacGregor is the "father".  I have been unable to find any note
                          > regarding a mother.  With the stupendous set of metafaculties he has,
                          > I've  wondered how, genetically speaking, Aiken came by them.  It
                          > seems from some of the Paramounts in the Milieu series, that very
                          > high metaquotient usually is "concentrated" by the merging of two of
                          > the main lines or strains, if one may be so scientifically crass ;)
                          >
                          > -Seon

                        • michael deslongchamps
                          Message 12 of 13 , May 20, 2002
                             No..there really isn't a thing as a "true Scottish gene,"....in that you are correct.  Infact, there are no true racial genes in the human gene pool as per say.  The human race, is just that, ONE race only..and every human person is almost exactly the same as the next human being, weither he be scottish, japanese, hispanic or algerian.  But what is important..as Julian May is trying to point out, is that certain ethnic groups have specially adapted to  certain environment so as to have minute differences..nothing that would make them non-human or superior, just slightly set apart...so as to make them more suitable for that enviroment and certain harshness.  These adaptations, these trials of both body and mind are good for the human race as a whole and should be encouraged.  Aiken is of pure Scottish decent, but that's not to say that there is any difference from a Scot to a Asian...just that the Scottish people have for long generation adapted themselves to suit a certain enviroment then those of other ethnic groups..nothing more.
                              The only problem that I had with the whole Julian May story line was the emphasis she placed on the American gene pool.  While we, as Americans, certainly have an advantage over other ethnic groups because of our wider vareity withing that gene pool, we have not been an ethnic group long enough to suit ourselves to our environment.  Yet Julian may has given us a large amount of planets.

                            Sent: Sunday, May 05, 2002 11:54 AM

                            Actually, Madeline couldn't have been Aiken's mother since she was of Franco decent and not Scottish.  Aiken is a Test tube baby and his biological parents were genetically screened so as to make sure that the baby would be of "pure" Scottish decent.  We know who his father is, even though the name of his mother is not given, we do know she HAS to be of Scottish decent.  His mother's name isn't really important since she is most likely not important to the story line and is probably not even a character.  Another fact that we kow about her is that she is most probably an Operant.

                            > First, I'd like to say that this is a great group! I found a copy of
                            > The Many Coloured Land by chance about ten years ago and have reread
                            > the Pliocene and Milieu series a couple of times.  I've browsed
                            > through the postings and have come across many interesting
                            > discussions.  Thanks for inspiring me to start another reread!
                            >
                            > Now, a question from the newbie:
                            >
                            > Is there any mention, in any of the books, of who was Aiken
                            > Drum's "mother"?  I know he's a nonborn, but it is noted that Davy
                            > MacGregor is the "father".  I have been unable to find any note
                            > regarding a mother.  With the stupendous set of metafaculties he has,
                            > I've  wondered how, genetically speaking, Aiken came by them.  It
                            > seems from some of the Paramounts in the Milieu series, that very
                            > high metaquotient usually is "concentrated" by the merging of two of
                            > the main lines or strains, if one may be so scientifically crass ;)
                            >
                            > -Seon

                          • bob
                            Message 13 of 13 , May 20, 2002
                              The point I was making is that there is no sure way of proving purity - THANK GOD - of any ethnic group, nevermind an artificially concieved and grown human being. You would need to go purely on records - and records can be changed. So Aiken's heritage can only be assumed to be Scottish, it can never be a 100% certainty and that being the case there is room for speculation as to his maternal line.

                              As for the American's getting more planets than anybody else, I had a mental stumble over that one as well. don't get me wrong I actually like Americans - strange but true - but America itself was founded by and took in so many different cultures and heritage that 'American' now describes a point of origin not a race. What has made America so strong is its ability to meld all those differing groups that made the place home, while avoiding outright (modern) war within its borders. From that strength though, comes - and please forgive the term - a mongral breed that contains the best of all culutres, but is hard pressed to define American as racial type.

                              Though to be honest, that could be said of pretty much every nation - I'm 'British' and a more xenophobic race exists nowhere else on the face of planet - hell we can't even get along with each other on the same little group of islands - yet as a nation we have had pretty much every European nation invade, colonise, or plain simply emigrate here at one time or another. So perhaps the 'Americans' are entitled to as many planets as anybody else, just through strength of numbers. Still if thats the case.., can anybody remember how many planets the Chinese got?

                              Sent: Monday, May 20, 2002 8:58 AM

                              Sent: Sunday, May 05, 2002 11:54 AM