Re: [Julian-May-discuss] Carbuncle

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 3, 2000
      > That's an interesting theory, but I don't think
      > there was any remains of
      > Marc's physical form once he transfigured. After
      > all, when water turns into
      > steam, there's not much left of the water (it's a
      > crude analogy but the
      > first one that came to mind!).

      Yes, I can't really convince myself that there was
      anything left of Marc in the physical sense. And
      probably not in any other sense either. But, as
      someone mentioned last week the Lylmik have form in
      the mental lattices and manifest their mental presence
      on the physical lattices. This does not preclude there
      being 'substance' of a kind (i know this is very
      imprecise) in those mental lattices - obviously
      dynamic field physics operates by different laws that
      which Einsteinian physics does (just as Einsteinian
      physics differ from/improve on Newtonian systems).
      That is the major problem with metapsychology in OUR
      world - by our accepted laws of physics it can not
      exist (I need more research on this I can see...do we
      have any physicists on the list who can broaden our
      understanding of metaphysics??).
      It is the same problem with modern psychology - all
      that we can prove within the bounds offered us by the
      natural sciences in their current incarnation is the
      knowledge of neurons acting on neurons. Nothing can be
      proven that anything beyond the body itself and its
      physical workings exists. Obviously, many people are
      convinced that this is incorrect, that we simply need
      to find more out about our world and the bounds of
      science will expand to allow room for the explanation
      of phenomena which currently seem inexplicable (e.g.
      mind, soul or spirit as opposed to brain). What can be
      manipulated can be proven - at the moment we
      manipulate the actions of the brain but not of the
      mind. I hope this will change one day (indeed, it is
      my greatest hope to see this changed!)
      The Lylmik must have a form in the mental lattices
      which could be recreated (obviously, for as well all
      know 'Trend and Concordance did manage it once before,
      way back in Fa-Time'<laugh>). This implys that there
      is some substance to their body even if it was not of
      the form we hold. After all, Jack is said to be more
      like the Lylmik in his mental structure than a human.
      Perhaps if one lives for long enough in the mental
      lattices alone one gradually accumulates a form there.
      Perhaps this is how Marc managed his transformation
      into a Lylmik. And I can't help thinking that some of
      his form must have gone with his mind into the mental
      lattices. Which would mean his body would have been
      destroyed, I would assume.

      > is true then it would perhaps explain why the
      > Duality is a ruby, because
      > Culleket was a powerful (red) Redactor, and it
      > Hmm> became the dominant colour.

      But Felice was a much more powerful MP than him and
      she had no redactive ability. She was primarily a
      coercor-creator, while Culluket was a coercor-redactor
      (though he was in the Redactor's Guild under Dionket).
      I would give their gem the colour blue if that was so.

      > ..sidetracking for a minute, if Marc is 'blue'
      > and Liz is 'red' it's
      > probably more than coincidence that the first thing
      > they see after they
      > d-jump to the Duat galaxy is a newly created
      > blue/red double
      > star....symbolising themselves?

      If it wasn't for that interesting tidbit (you must
      have _really_ read the end of ADVERSARY!!)I don't
      think I would be so literal about the colours...

      > >I think it likely that the Carbuncle would have
      > worked
      > >as a metapsychic amplifier, not just for
      > farsensing,
      > >but for all metafaculties. Obviously the device was
      > >not difficult to activate either, for Rogi did it
      > >without thinking on more than one occasion.
      > >The conclusion that Ti-Jean comes to is that it is
      > >Lylmik artifact, an artificial diamond with an
      > >infitesimal flaw in the center that could have been
      > >machine of some kind (i'll chase up the exact qte
      > when
      > >I get a chance)
      MAGNIFICAT p163 (Harper Collins 1997)
      'And right at the centre of the red diamond sphere is
      a sizable molecular anomaly that coud be an
      infinitesimal natural flaw but is more likely an
      artifact. The Carbuncle is some kind of machine, maybe
      a subspace transmitter, maybe much more' - Jack
      Yes, to reiterate, probably an amplifier for MP
      powers, and much much more.

      > It seems logical to me that the Carbuncle was an
      > artificially created
      > metapsychic amplifier, and I like your theory Leda
      > about how it could
      > possibly cohese the five powers into one, which is
      > Unity. Hmm. Does this
      > mean that because Jack and Diamond were both High
      > Fives, it was easier for
      > them to comprehend what Unity *was*, and thus
      > communicate this to others in
      > 'Magnificat'.
      >
      > - Nicolette

      Not sure....maybe that was why the other great
      proponents of Unity in DIAMOND and MAGNIFICAT were
      Denis, Anne and Paul, all of whom, as we have
      discussed, were probably the strongest metapsychics in
      the Milieu series aside from the three paramounts.
      Most well rounded as well (all high fives). Doesn't
      explain why Marc was such a psycho about unity though.
      Actually, he wasn't psycho about it he didn't care
      either way, until he got to the Duat system where he
      TOO became a champion of unity - ultimately, THE
      champion of UNity.

      http://mail.yahoo.com/
    • nicolel@iconz.co.nz
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 4, 2000
        >Not sure....maybe that was why the other great
        >proponents of Unity in DIAMOND and MAGNIFICAT were
        >Denis, Anne and Paul, all of whom, as we have
        >discussed, were probably the strongest metapsychics in
        >the Milieu series aside from the three paramounts.
        >Most well rounded as well (all high fives). Doesn't
        >explain why Marc was such a psycho about unity though.
        >Actually, he wasn't psycho about it he didn't care
        >either way, until he got to the Duat system where he
        >TOO became a champion of unity - ultimately, THE
        >champion of UNity.

        I found that really ironic that Marc eventually became a convert to Unity in
        Duat, LOL. No, he wasn't psycho about Unity, but he was never cared for it
        either, because it was about being connected to people, which would have
        meant letting people inside his mind which he rarely did. There's a bit in
        JtB where he says how he and his twin Matthieu fought each other while in
        utero and Matthieu lost, and died. So really, the first lesson Marc learnt
        that being too close to people is dangerous, and if he didn't keep up a
        strong mind shield then he would be too vulnerable to those around him.

        High Thoughts

        - Nicolette