Artificial Wombs

  • clarissafarrington
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 12, 2002
      Hi all

      I caught a brief snip of a story on our news this morning about a
      University that has invented the artifical womb - capable in theory
      of carrying a feotus to term.

      Are we a step closer to Mental Man?

      Clarissa
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 12, 2002
        Clarissa wrote:
        > I caught a brief snip of a story on our news this morning about a
        > University that has invented the artifical womb - capable in theory
        > of carrying a feotus to term.
        >
        > Are we a step closer to Mental Man?

        I wouldn't be suprised Clarissa....I am sure as the years go by we will see
        more and more little tidbits from sf come to pass. I think the most
        interesting thing about seeing which of these things come to pass and which
        ones remain fiction is seeing which ones constitute a revolution in thinking
        which shows a great leap of intuition on the part of writers.
        I am not a very techie-minded person so when tech devices like email etc are
        invented, years after they have been dreamed of in scifi that doesn't
        personally interest me much beyond the vague curiosity level. E.g the Zap
        Star program in Intervention could be seen as foretelling that whacko
        satellite laser thingy program which Bush was involved with before Sept 11,
        but that is a passing curiosity for me.
        But I did find very interesting the discussion early in the year about the
        possibility of parts of the universal field theory being possible
        fascinating. And I find it fascinating to think that individual parts of the
        Mental Man project might be coming into being - but will the desire for a
        Mental Man ever develop in our people in real life? That would be the really
        interesting thing!

        BTW has anyone heard anything more about the fate of Dolly the Sheep. I
        heard a couple of months ago that Dolly seemed to be developing problems to
        do with premature aging of her cells (which has been a concern for some time
        with cloning that has never yet been able to be tested). Does anyone know if
        she is OK now?

        Leda
      • Ian J Greely
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 13, 2002
          On Wed, 13 Feb 2002 16:49:09 +1100, you wrote:

          >Clarissa wrote:
          >> I caught a brief snip of a story on our news this morning about a
          >> University that has invented the artifical womb - capable in theory
          >> of carrying a feotus to term.
          >>
          >> Are we a step closer to Mental Man?

          Last I checked the world didn't have a shortage of fertile wombs.

          Wonder why people want to can plastic people? Must be some really
          worthwhile purpose for children without parents.

          A new slave race anyone?

          regards,
          Ian
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 13, 2002
            Ian wrote:
            > Last I checked the world didn't have a shortage of fertile wombs.
            >
            > Wonder why people want to can plastic people? Must be some really
            > worthwhile purpose for children without parents.
            >
            > A new slave race anyone?

            I guess the official human application would be for women who can't carry a
            child to term, they could have a child born still of their genes. I guess it
            is surrogacy without the emotional involvement of the surrogate mother.
            However I would have misgivings about a child born of an artificial womb.
            Surely they would have missed out by not been carried close to a mother.
            Even though I don't remember it I imagine it would have been very nice to be
            in utero and have your mother sing to you, for example.
            I can think of two other reasons for it, one practical, the other fanciful.
            The first one would be too breed super cows or super sheep or whatever,
            specially selected genes to produce the best possible strains of beef cattle
            for example (or even clones if cloning turns out to work) and then bring
            thousands of them to birth at the same time in artificial cow wombs. Meat
            for Africa! Of course at the moment it would be much more expensive to
            produce a cow this way than to breed it naturally, but who knows how
            accesible the technology may become in later years!
            The fanciful one is inspired by Jurassic Park. In Jurassic Park (the book)
            the owner of the park sponsors or buys out companies which develop products
            which may be useful in any way to his goals. E.g. he buys amber mines and
            sponsors dinosaur digs in digs in cold places and he buys a company which
            had developed an artificial egg case so he can hatch his dinosaurs out of
            fake eggs.
            Perhaps if the idea of regenerating extinct species through their DNA ever
            becomes possible, they could generate a mammoth out of a frozen carcass and
            then bring it to term in a fake plastic womb.

            Leda
          • bob
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 14, 2002
              Of course if we're going to really go in to the realms of sci-fi...

              With the prospect of human DNA getting pretty much mapped in total within the next decade or two; it would be possible to colonise and exploit even non-Earth like planets with a race of humans genetically altered, to say breathe the rairified atmosphere of Mars, and raised in a gestation chamber for this very purpose.

              Should superluminal travel (or the equivalent) ever become a reality then colonisation with non-borns, such as old golden-breeches himself, may well become the norm rather than those through conventional births.

              On an interesting - at least to me - couple of side issues

              It has already been determined that fertilisation can occur with genetic material other than that of a male - If memory serves, two gay woman in the states have volunteered to become the first non-male-conception parents, but legalities and moral debate over the process continue -  with the invention of artificial wombs does this then take procreation out of the human experience and make the very act of intercourse anything other than a very intimate and personal form of entertainment?

              Would a race of beings concieved and born without that very personal act be regarded as less than human? Are human rights granted to those born of the human race or to those born of the technology of the human race?

              Leda's point about the closeness of mother/child relationships is very valid. Adopted children, regardless of how loving their upbringing, usually have a burning desire to find their birth parents. How would that purely natural and emotional process be handled with the knowledge that their birth originated with a bank of genetic material a gene-splicer and a very advanced nutrient chamber?

              Thoughts anyone...

              Sent: Wednesday, February 13, 2002 11:59 PM
              Subject: Re: [Julian-May-discuss] Artificial Wombs

              Ian wrote:
              > Last I checked the world didn't have a shortage of fertile wombs.
              >
              > Wonder why people want to can plastic people? Must be some really
              > worthwhile purpose for children without parents.
              >
              > A new slave race anyone?

              I guess the official human application would be for women who can't carry a
              child to term, they could have a child born still of their genes. I guess it
              is surrogacy without the emotional involvement of the surrogate mother.
              However I would have misgivings about a child born of an artificial womb.
              Surely they would have missed out by not been carried close to a mother.
              Even though I don't remember it I imagine it would have been very nice to be
              in utero and have your mother sing to you, for example.
              I can think of two other reasons for it, one practical, the other fanciful.
              The first one would be too breed super cows or super sheep or whatever,
              specially selected genes to produce the best possible strains of beef cattle
              for example (or even clones if cloning turns out to work) and then bring
              thousands of them to birth at the same time in artificial cow wombs. Meat
              for Africa! Of course at the moment it would be much more expensive to
              produce a cow this way than to breed it naturally, but who knows how
              accesible the technology may become in later years!
              The fanciful one is inspired by Jurassic Park. In Jurassic Park (the book)
              the owner of the park sponsors or buys out companies which develop products
              which may be useful in any way to his goals. E.g. he buys amber mines and
              sponsors dinosaur digs in digs in cold places and he buys a company which
              had developed an artificial egg case so he can hatch his dinosaurs out of
              fake eggs.
              Perhaps if the idea of regenerating extinct species through their DNA ever
              becomes possible, they could generate a mammoth out of a frozen carcass and
              then bring it to term in a fake plastic womb.

            • Chris Garvie
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 14, 2002
                Hi everyone.

                The human genome project recently managed to fully map the entire sequence
                of human DNA. The problem now is that we don't have sufficient technology
                to use this knowledge to it's full advantage! That situation will change
                soon enough and the problem we face is the public 'fear' of genetic
                manipulation.

                With films like GATTACA, the public have been made to be very afraid of the
                amazing potential this opens up for the treatment of many of the
                untreatable, lethal genetic disorders.

                Personally, I think the idea of artificial wombs which contain genetically
                'perfect' children (free from male pattern baldness right up to deletion of
                genes for cystic fibrosis and huntingtons) would be amazing! People who
                can't conceive children naturally (especially gay couples) would be able to
                fulfill a basic human desire - to procreate!

                Unfortunately there are those people who wouldn't be able to cope with the
                fact that these people are 'genetically superior'. What would be forgotten
                is that they would still be human and, therefore, no more or less likely to
                be 'perfect' than 'unaltered' people!

                Chris.

              • bob
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 14, 2002

                  Hi Chris,

                  I tend to side with you; anything that can alleviate human suffering has to be a good thing, but I do however have to err on the side of caution when it comes to a what amounts to a technological evolutionary leap.

                  Does the fact that the children you envision being born without cystic fibrosis make up for the fact they would be born with little or no familial heritage? The physical benefits may well be outweighed by the (granted unknown) psychological problems that a birth without a parent or family might create.

                  The fear you describe of 'genetically superior' people must be preceded by fear for 'emotionally inferior' people, with geographical but no social heritage of their own.

                  We would in effect be creating another stratum of society, that would be alienated not just by the means of their birth, or the undeniably superiority of their genetic makeup but by the fact that they would have no 'buy-in' to the very society that created them.

                  I have no real problems with artificial wombs, or even genetically enhanced children - bye bye cancer, bye bye. I have real problems with the possibility that procreation can be removed in toto from the human experience and given over to a production process.

                  Sent: Thursday, February 14, 2002 3:49 PM

> [...]

                  >but legalities and moral debate over the process continue -  with the
                  >invention of artificial wombs does this then take procreation out of the
                  >human experience and make the very act of intercourse anything other than a
                  >very intimate and personal form of entertainment?
                  >
                  >Would a race of beings concieved and born without that very personal act be
                  >regarded as less than human? Are human rights granted to those born of the
                  >human race or to those born of the technology of the human race?
                  >
                  >Leda's point about the closeness of mother/child relationships is very
                  >valid. Adopted children, regardless of how loving their upbringing, usually
                  >have a burning desire to find their birth parents. How would that purely
                  >natural and emotional process be handled with the knowledge that their
                  >birth originated with a bank of genetic material a gene-splicer and a very

                • mischa1701
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 15, 2002
                    Hey Folks,

                    Well, I'm with Chris too. Anything that can stop these terrible,
                    terrible disorders and syndromes is righty-dokey in my book. As a
                    parent we had nine months waiting for little Red to pop out so we
                    could account for his toes (ten) and fingers (ten) hearing, sight and
                    mind (all A-OK thank god) but what of those poor parents whe get bad
                    scan results etc. etc. and then have to decide what to do. And there's
                    no scan for Blindness and Deafness.

                    As to the argument that these 'bottle-bred' kids're going to be
                    parentless, I think that's a rather long way off at least
                    (colonisation of other worlds and stuff - the non-born technology is a
                    step nearer, but rocket science ain't exactly rocket science these
                    days, is it?)
                    These technologies will more likely be used as mentioned (in posts
                    passim) for folks who can't carry to term for one reason or another,
                    'cause let's face it, the world doesn't exactly need more kids, but
                    rather less (I mean if orphanages can't foster off the kid's they do
                    have, what purpose would batch after batch of decanted nippers serve?)

                    Rightho,

                    see you all later

                    Mish
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 17, 2002
                      Good point ;-) What would we do with them at the moment?
                      Of course the expense would be prohibitive for years and years to come
                      before it would even be possible to think of producing zillions of the
                      little darlings.
                      Does raise some interesting questions though. I get the feeling JMs views
                      (at least as they are shown in the Miliue series) would argue that the
                      non-born technology could result in disassociated children. The only
                      non-borns who really feature (good ole Aiken and the foster siblings of
                      Dorothea) are either maladjusted or they just don't compare to their
                      naturally conceived fellow humans. Can't think of a single example of one of
                      the elite MPs being a nonborn, even though you have super 'heads' like the
                      MacGregors donating their genes all over the place (and Remillards, largely
                      through the agency of Paul's womanising!).
                      The interesting thing though is that maybe some people would be better off
                      without parents! I know it is fiction and also that it focuses on rather
                      extraordinary examples of abnormal psychology, but a lot of the characters
                      in JMs books are quite simply nutbars because of their parents....Denis,
                      Steinie and Felice being examples where they have been hurt by their
                      parents, Marc and Amerie's issues have a lot to do with the way they
                      perceived their parents and their relationship with them (accurate or not).
                      Most of the Remillard Dynasty had major psychological problems associated
                      with the mental interference of Fury....

                      Leda

                      PS Little Red? Is your child called Red?
                    • Ian J Greely
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 18, 2002
                        Interestingly enough the first commercial exploit appears to be to
                        help the death challenged pet-owner to "duplicate" their beloved pet.
                        Which is what the outfit who recently cloned a kitten are set up to
                        do.

                        Kind of sick and sad if you ask me. Might as well have the damned
                        thing stuffed! (and the owner too come to think of it)

                        regards,
                        Ian

                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 18, 2002
                          > Interestingly enough the first commercial exploit appears to be to
                          > help the death challenged pet-owner to "duplicate" their beloved pet.
                          > Which is what the outfit who recently cloned a kitten are set up to
                          > do.
                          >
                          > Kind of sick and sad if you ask me. Might as well have the damned
                          > thing stuffed! (and the owner too come to think of it)

                          Wow I didn't think of that! Have to say my mind is sadly intrigued by that
                          use. My dog who is now thirteen is very close to expiring and I have been
                          thinking for a long time that it would be difficult to ever find another dog
                          to replace her. I met a dog a few weeks ago which was essentially the same
                          breeding as her (both kelpie x german gun dog) and realised that all of
                          characteristics I loved in her were present in this dog too. It is a rather
                          unusual cross though so it would be difficult to find another dog of similar
                          breeding. If I cloned her however it would be darn easy really.
                          There is that horrible instinct in me to consider such an option, before
                          another part of my brain catches up and says 'Hey, don't be stupid! It won't
                          be her anyway, you know that, plus it is really really morbid!'.
                          It has made me think for the first time however that I can understand a
                          little more though why some people could want to clone their children when
                          they die.

                          Leda
                        • Ian J Greely
                          Message 12 of 15 , Feb 18, 2002
                            The instinct to rebel against death would seem to be in all of us.
                            However, this is a cheap solution. The clone is not the original. I
                            was fascinated to find that the "cloned" kitten did not have identical
                            patterning upon it's coat as did the original.

                            Not even a cheap facsimile.

                            It seems to me to be a great dishonour upon individuality to go down
                            this road.

                            Having lost people, the idea that they could be "replaced" without
                            being the person is crass. Without the memories, experiences and soul
                            of the original they are as likely to be important as any other
                            person. Which is to say that there is no advantage to the "trick" only
                            a sad failure to live up to the price of life.

                            On people who are infertile bilking the genetics. Think about the
                            effect upon the viability of the _species_. If technology becomes
                            _necessary_ to procreation then it is not a triumph but a curse.

                            To put the needs of _individuals_ before the viability of the
                            species. Well, it's the reverse of the eugenics of the 40's and 50's.

                            Avoid the extremes.

                            regards,
                            Ian

                            Message 13 of 15 , Feb 18, 2002
                              For years I have been stuck on the idea of clones vs identical twins.
                              Identical twins should be no more or less identical than clones. Yet even
                              identical twins, with no portion of their genetic makeup different to each
                              other, have different fingerprints.
                              Different fingerprints indicates some bizarre process of differentiation not
                              marked in the genetic record. The different conditions in different parts of
                              the womb can have a marked affect on the development of twins yet this is a
                              regular alteration of the very thing which marks each one of us as unique,
                              despite differing environmental influences or the identical genetic
                              heritage.
                              If cloned kittens have differing patterns in their fur, a feline fingerprint
                              equivalent, then cloned humans would, like identical twins, have different
                              fingerprints. I had considered in the past what the implications would be if
                              humans were cloned and were found to have identical fingerprints. That would
                              imply something inhuman almost, or incomplete. Yet I feel sure now that the
                              implication of this kitten's differing markings would be that any clone's
                              fingerprints would differ. Even were the clones to be bought to term in
                              identical, controlled artificial wombs.
                              I have always been told the reason for this difference between fingerprints
                              in people of identical genetic heritage was environmental differences in the
                              womb. However if that could be controlled, there must be another explanation
                              for this differentiation between all living beings. Does anyone else know of
                              another reason for differing fingerprints?

                              Leda

                              on 19/2/02 10:55 AM, Ian J Greely at ian@... wrote:

                              > The instinct to rebel against death would seem to be in all of us.
                              > However, this is a cheap solution. The clone is not the original. I
                              > was fascinated to find that the "cloned" kitten did not have identical
                              > patterning upon it's coat as did the original.
                              >
                              > Not even a cheap facsimile.
                              >
                              > It seems to me to be a great dishonour upon individuality to go down
                              > this road.
                              >
                              > Having lost people, the idea that they could be "replaced" without
                              > being the person is crass. Without the memories, experiences and soul
                              > of the original they are as likely to be important as any other
                              > person. Which is to say that there is no advantage to the "trick" only
                              > a sad failure to live up to the price of life.
                              >
                              > On people who are infertile bilking the genetics. Think about the
                              > effect upon the viability of the _species_. If technology becomes
                              > _necessary_ to procreation then it is not a triumph but a curse.
                              >
                              > To put the needs of _individuals_ before the viability of the
                              > species. Well, it's the reverse of the eugenics of the 40's and 50's.
                              >
                              > Avoid the extremes.
                              >
                              > regards,
                              > Ian
                            • mischa1701
                              Message 14 of 15 , Feb 21, 2002
                                --- In Julian-May-discuss@y..., Leticia Anderson <leticia@r...> wrote:

                                > PS Little Red? Is your child called Red?

                                Yes, my Son is called Red (4 years old on March 1st) and his full name
                                is Redvers Kirk Welsh. Bet no-one can guess where his middle name
                                comes from (clue: my yahoogroups username)

                                Now re: Artificial Wombs and cloned Cats & Doggies

                                I know what you mean about being tempted: If god forbid anything
                                happened to Red, and we were offered the chance of cloning him,
                                knowing that the new kid would look like him, but not BE him (Duncan
                                Idaho anyone?) Morbid as it sounds, I'd probably go for it. Ugh! I
                                know, but imagine being in that situation.

                                Rightho,

                                cheers folks

                                Mish
                                Ps: interesting stuff about clones/twins not having same fingerprints-
                                didn't know that.
                              • bob
                                Message 15 of 15 , Feb 21, 2002
                                  Apologies to the group for being off topic but I couldn't resist as the dune series is another of my faves.

                                  Idaho is a Ghola not a clone, with all the memories and experiences of all his past selves (with the exception of those derived from those bodies which couldn't be retrieved, Leto II being as lethal as he was) so really was the same person, just with a very uncenventional longevity.

                                  Mind you I love the idea of this university being the start of the Teilaxu tanks, good call Mischa. *grin*

                                  Back on topic, if these artificial wombs were used with cloning technology, how would you feel about having a clone grown of yourself?

                                  I'm thinking predominately of a story I read once about a cloning factory where bodies were grown without brains to be harvested for replacement organs as the donors grew old or infirm. It wouldn't be as effective as the regen-tanks that the Milieu uses, but even so it could effectively be used to extend life.

                                  Would that process reduce humanity to little more than a machine or would it be a boon to society extending the lives of our greatest thinkers?

                                  Thoughts?

                                  Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2002 10:48 AM
                                  Subject: [Julian-May-discuss] Re: Artificial Wombs