Re: [Julian-May-discuss] Hello

  • bob
    Message 1 of 21 , Jan 29, 2002
      Ooh, ooh I remember you, didn't you used to hang out around here a while back? *grin*

      Welcome back list-mum, good luck with the Uni thing.

      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 10, 2002
        Hi,

        I found this list through dejanews search, and joined since I'm a big
        fan of Julian May's exile/milieu books. For some reason I'm not very
        successful in converting people into reading them tho :) .. Has
        anyone come up with a good 2-3 sentence description of her work? For
        some reason it seems many people are unaware of these masterpieces.

        I didn't like the Rampart books as much (not as complex) or the
        Trillium book ... What is the new book going to be about? I have a
        feeling there won't be any more milieu books?

        And one more question that has puzzled me: Are the Lylmik evolved
        from the same species as Tanu/Firvulag/Brede/Ships or are they
        something else? I keep trying to guess what happens to Mark and
        Elizabeth after the 'jump', I wish there was a book about what
        happens afterwards :)

        Maybe it's time to re-read again.

        //Janne
        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 10, 2002
          Hey Janne,

          Welcome to the group (and welcome to the other new people who have not yet
          said Hello!).
          Feel free to jump in and start new threads etc or go through the archives -
          there are book covers, pics, tonnes of links, a character database.....
          The list has been a little quiet until recently, when we have been having a
          little bit of a discussion about the upcoming JM release of Boreal Moons #1,
          and also a few other little oddities like The Mars Attacks! in the Milieu
          series.
          A 2-3 sentence description! Sounds like a challenge. Maybe we should all
          have a go at it. (after I finish my late history essay!!).

          The Lylmik were apparently already in existence when Liz decided it was the
          end and Marc jumped back to our galaxy. However, there are a few little
          suspect clues that perhaps they might not have been discorporate at the
          time! This provides fuel for those who think Marc hadn't completely atoned
          when he became Atoning Unifex....because perhaps the Lylmik were his last
          shot at the Bodiless Bigtime. What do you think?

          high thoughts
          Leda (List Moderator)
        • Claire
          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 10, 2002
            Leda wrote:

            > The Lylmik were apparently already in existence when Liz decided it was
            the
            > end and Marc jumped back to our galaxy. However, there are a few little
            > suspect clues that perhaps they might not have been discorporate at the
            > time! This provides fuel for those who think Marc hadn't completely atoned
            > when he became Atoning Unifex....because perhaps the Lylmik were his last
            > shot at the Bodiless Bigtime. What do you think?

            Wow! I never thought of that. What an interesting concept. I love
            encountering a new idea even after several re-readings. But didn't Unifex
            tell Rogi that he/Marc had found (and fostered) Unity in the Duat Galaxy?
            Would a Unified mind mess with evolution, and in such an evil way? Since
            even before his exile, Marc saw the bodiless state as the ultimate in human
            evolution, perhaps that's just what happened in the evolution of the Lylmik
            over millions of years.

            Speaking of the lifespan of that race, I always assumed, because of the
            references to "fa time" and "ti time", that the life cycle of the race was
            organized in a manner akin to the musical scale. And since reproduction
            ceased in "ti time", and the race was moribund, I figured we were reading
            about them in "do time". What messes up this little vision of mine are the
            dates at the beginning of many of the chapters, e.g. "La prime....". Does
            anyone have any thoughts or explanation about this?

            Claire
            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 10, 2002
              Hiya Janne,

              Welcome to Club Milieu ;-), I hope you will enjoy your time here.

              > A 2-3 sentence description! Sounds like a challenge. Maybe we should all
              > have a go at it. (after I finish my late history essay!!).

              Hmm...actually I was thinking the other day the best way to sum up the whole
              series (tough job!) and eventually settled with that it's a futuristic
              version of Milton's 'Paradise Lost'. With a lot of plot twists.

              > The Lylmik were apparently already in existence when Liz decided it was
              the
              > end and Marc jumped back to our galaxy. However, there are a few little
              > suspect clues that perhaps they might not have been discorporate at the
              > time! This provides fuel for those who think Marc hadn't completely atoned
              > when he became Atoning Unifex....because perhaps the Lylmik were his last
              > shot at the Bodiless Bigtime. What do you think?
              >
              > high thoughts
              > Leda (List Moderator)

              I'm inclined to think that the Lylmik evolved naturally into a bodiless
              state - it doesn't necessarily mean they were forced into it by Marc, who
              had told Rogi that he encouraged races to evolve rather than artificially
              force them. An oddball theory about the Lylmik that I saw in the older
              newsgroup archives was that the Lylmik were the children of Liz & Marc who
              became bodiless, because if you break down the word Lylmik, the first
              syllable 'Lyl' could apply to Liz and 'Mik' refer to Marc. But as I said
              before, that's an oddball theory which I doubt was true, because neither of
              them could have children!

            • Kate Dungan
              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 11, 2002

                How about CELTS FROM SPACE!!!!

[...]

                Buy Stock for $4
                and no minimums.
                FREE Money 2002.
                http://us.click.yahoo.com/k6cvND/n97DAA/ySSFAA/FIyolB/TM
                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 11, 2002
                  Nicolette wrote:
                  > a futuristic version of Milton's 'Paradise Lost'. With a lot of plot twists.

                  Nice work! I like that.

                  > I'm inclined to think that the Lylmik evolved naturally into a bodiless
                  > state - it doesn't necessarily mean they were forced into it by Marc, who
                  > had told Rogi that he encouraged races to evolve rather than artificially
                  > force them.

                  Yes, but it is possible....Obviously at the time that the Lylmik were
                  encountered by Marc they still knew how to 'Jack-form' - how else could Marc
                  have finally progressed into that state which he had been dreaming of for so
                  many milennia?

                  > An oddball theory about the Lylmik that I saw in the older
                  > newsgroup archives was that the Lylmik were the children of Liz & Marc who
                  > became bodiless, because if you break down the word Lylmik, the first
                  > syllable 'Lyl' could apply to Liz and 'Mik' refer to Marc.

                  Hmmm, interesting but probably not true. Not that any of these theories
                  actually could be 'true' of course!!

                  > neither of them could have children!

                  Mmm, but Liz's operation was reversible....I don't think she was interested
                  in children though, just in the people she helped.

                  Message 8 of 21 , Apr 11, 2002
                    Re: [Julian-May-discuss] Hello Has anyone read Patricia Keneally's series about Celts in space? It seems very JM influenced but I think it surpasses JM's worlds for being Celts in Space. Actually I think that is the name of the series, Celtia. It is about the Tuatha de danaan sailing from Ireland across the Atlantic, they sail into space somehow and colonise new worlds, but their ancetsral enemies folow them. Kind of interesting but hard to read...

                    on 12/4/02 12:44 AM, Kate Dungan at oDubhagain@... wrote:

[...]

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

                  • clarissafarrington
                    Message 9 of 21 , Apr 11, 2002
                      I Love the Keltiad!! I have read all of them except some of the
                      harder to get ones that she wrote later. I will need to order them
                      from Amazon I think.

                      It depends which series you read first as to how much you like them I
                      think. The Aeron books are really good - I am not as into the Arthur
                      ones. For those of you that have not read them - Imagine the entire
                      Camelot story in space - with a couple of minor deviations and
                      differences.

                      I would love to see a movie version - something that would translate
                      the Firedrake to reality. The Firedrake is the Kelts flagship. It is
                      an interstellar warship - about 10 miles long shaped like a giant
                      golden dragon!

                      You may remember I wanted to name my son Marc - after Rob said no to
                      that I started on Declan - a very minor character but a great name.
                      When Rob said no to that I wanted Fergus (see explanation for Declan)
                      after another no I gave up on book characters.

                      Cheers

                      Clarissa

                      Message 10 of 21 , Apr 12, 2002
                        Hi Claire -

                        Claire wrote:
                        > Speaking of the lifespan of that race, I always assumed, because of the
                        > references to "fa time" and "ti time", that the life cycle of the race was
                        > organized in a manner akin to the musical scale. And since reproduction
                        > ceased in "ti time", and the race was moribund, I figured we were reading
                        > about them in "do time". What messes up this little vision of mine are the
                        > dates at the beginning of many of the chapters, e.g. "La prime....". Does
                        > anyone have any thoughts or explanation about this?

                        The following is from the Milieu Mailing List FAQ at
                        http://yoyo.cc.monash.edu.au/~wigs/milieu/milieu.faq

                        They noted what you have picked up, and wrote the following:

                        Section 4.1. Milieu Conventions (Dates, Sectors, etc).

                        Dates:
                        The Galactic Dating systems as used the Milieu is based (strangely
                        enough) on Earth days as a base unit. The format for the Galactic
                        Date is "<Era> <7 digit number>". Examples from the novels are:
                        Galactic Earth
                        ------------------ --------------
                        La Prime 1-357-627 8 August 1994
                        La Prime 1-440-644 17 May 2113

                        La Prime 0-000-000 is about 2725 BC.

                        One Galactic Year is 1000 Earth days.

                        There is mention in _JtB_ (page 148) of Ti Time, about 8
                        galactic revolutions ago. Lylmik repoduction ceased then,
                        causing the Outreach to begin leading to the Milieu. Further
                        back is Fa Time. This suggests a musical scale to the notes,
                        (Do, Re, Mi, Fa, So, La, Ti).

                        However, this is unclear for as you noticed Claire, Ti time has apparently
                        already been, yet if we are in La time Ti time should be yet to
                        come....perhaps the notes circulate in octaves, so that Ti time could come
                        before Do as well as after La. Which means we are moving into Ti time again
                        and then back to Do presumably....
                        The milieu list worked out the current time and it is on the Time webpage
                        http://www.ecben.net/calendar.shtml

                        This site is constantly updated and every day you can find out what day it
                        is in milieu time. Today is:
                        La Prime 1-360-431

                        Leda
                      • Claire
                        Message 11 of 21 , Apr 12, 2002
                          Leda wrote:

                          > The following is from the Milieu Mailing List FAQ at
                          > http://yoyo.cc.monash.edu.au/~wigs/milieu/milieu.faq

                          Thanks, Leda. I've seen that link a couple of times, but it hasn't worked
                          for me in the past, so I was glad you pasted the relevant text. (Now the
                          link is working, though!)

                          Claire
                          Message 12 of 21 , Apr 12, 2002
                            >> Leda wrote:
                            >> The following is from the Milieu Mailing List FAQ at
                            >> http://yoyo.cc.monash.edu.au/~wigs/milieu/milieu.faq
                            >Claire Replied:
                            > Thanks, Leda. I've seen that link a couple of times, but it hasn't worked
                            > for me in the past, so I was glad you pasted the relevant text. (Now the
                            > link is working, though!)

                            Tis but my duty to serve! I actually want to copy the material on that page
                            into a file on the archives for this list in case Monash Uni ever decides to
                            pull it off the web without alerting anyone! I hope I don't offend any
                            copyright by doing so....