Merry Christmas to all

    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 20, 2001
      Hello everyone -

      Starting at 12pm I have three weeks holidays so I may be a bit absent over
      the next few weeks. I'll endeavour to check things out on the web when I can
      but we'll have to see (maybe someone wants to be co-moderator???*g*).
      In the meantime I'd like to wish everyone a very merry Christmas and Happy
      New Year. I hope you all get to enjoy the holidays....I'll be kicking back
      in the sun for most of it, and I'm going on a surfing trip to Byron Bay, so
      summer doesn't really get much better than that!

      PS I think I will probably check in after Boxing Day (which is when LOTR
      opens *g*)
    • Stevey D
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 22, 2001
        --- bshaddo@... wrote:
        Hi there,
        Good points about the Aiken Machiavelli/connection.
        Its been a while but I'm finally re-reading the Saga
        of The Exiles so hopefully I'll be offering more
        enlightened points of discussion later! Have a great
        X-mas and New Year,
        Stevo.

        <tt>
        Julian May makes no mention of Machiavelli by name,
        and only once does <BR>
        someone (Mercy-Rosmar) comment that they look very
        much alike.  The only <BR>
        other allusion I can think of to this is that the King
        enters the windsurfing <BR>
        races under the pseudonym "Niccolo
        MacGregor."  Given Aiken's assertion that
        <BR>
        the nonborns on his home planet were certified 100%
        Scottish, I'd guess the <BR>
        resemblance is coincidental, but very little happens
        in these books without <BR>
        purpose.<BR>
        <BR>
        As far as his fate after the new time-gate was built,
        little is known except <BR>
        that he remained behind and that the site of the
        time-gate was destroyed at <BR>
        the Milieu end, thus closing the door on both sides
        for the foreseeable <BR>
        future.  Even if the Lylmik could restore the
        time-gate site, and even if <BR>
        Aiken fled his kingdom, I can't see a probable
        Paramount and certainly <BR>
        violent person like him being compatible with
        Unity.<BR>
        </tt>

        <tt>
        To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:<BR>
        Julian-May-discuss-unsubscribe@egroups.com<BR>
        <BR>
        </tt>

        <tt>Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the <a
        href="http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/">Yahoo! Terms
        of Service</a>.</tt>

        http://uk.my.yahoo.com