Poll results for Julian-May-discuss

  • Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 14, 2001
      The following Julian-May-discuss poll is now closed. Here are the
      final results:

      POLL QUESTION: Okay folks visit
      http://www.pallol.com/competition_entrie
      s.html and then come back here and vote
      for your favourite picture.

      CHOICES AND RESULTS
      - Goddess, 1 votes, 9.09%
      - Dorothea, 0 votes, 0.00%
      - Tower, 0 votes, 0.00%
      - Mental Man, 0 votes, 0.00%
      - Airplant Harvest, 6 votes, 54.55%
      - Elizabeth, 1 votes, 9.09%
      - Laika, 2 votes, 18.18%
      - Avenger, 0 votes, 0.00%
      - Lylmik Enclave, 0 votes, 0.00%
      - Intervention, 1 votes, 9.09%

      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Julian-May-discuss

      http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/groups/
    • Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 17, 2003
        The following Julian-May-discuss poll is now closed. Here are the
        final results:

        POLL QUESTION: What would your prefer we call the
        new Julian May Fan site?

        CHOICES AND RESULTS
        - TheEloquentPage.com, 13 votes, 56.52%
        - CastleGateway.com, 2 votes, 8.70%
        - TMCL.com, 0 votes, 0.00%
        - TheManyColouredLand.com, 0 votes, 0.00%
        - TheManyColoredLand.com, 1 votes, 4.35%
        - TheGalacticMiliue.com, 0 votes, 0.00%
        - plioceneearth.com, 1 votes, 4.35%
        - GroupGreen.com, 0 votes, 0.00%
        - HiddenSprings.com, 1 votes, 4.35%
        - HighVrazel.com, 0 votes, 0.00%
        - OldEarth.com, 0 votes, 0.00%
        - FansOfJulianMay.com, 4 votes, 17.39%
        - Maysworld.com, 0 votes, 0.00%
        - Julianmay.net, 1 votes, 4.35%
        - Julianmay.org, 0 votes, 0.00%

        INDIVIDUAL VOTES
        - TheEloquentPage.com
        - jason@...
        - gillianariley@...
        - sm_park@...
        - n.lewer@...
        - clairiti.now@...
        - jsingleton@...
        - sclairebur@...
        - cleomadjai@...
        - stonecross@...
        - grant.butler@...
        - mozzer@...
        - ta-meyer@...
        - CastleGateway.com
        - kerry@...
        - mike@...
        - TMCL.com
        - TheManyColouredLand.com
        - TheManyColoredLand.com
        - hillska@...
        - TheGalacticMiliue.com
        - plioceneearth.com
        - starsweepin@...
        - GroupGreen.com
        - HiddenSprings.com
        - matt.hogg@...
        - HighVrazel.com
        - OldEarth.com
        - FansOfJulianMay.com
        - jabberwocky1469@...
        - susana4@...
        - pallol@...
        - alixnc@...
        - Maysworld.com
        - Julianmay.net
        - friwo@...
        - Julianmay.org

        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Julian-May-discuss

        http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/groups/
      • jason collins
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 20, 2003
          Hi everyone,
          isn't life a bit strange sometimes...
          I've just been reading DIAMONDMASK and had been thinking if there could be
          any reference to other characters in THEPLEIOCENESAGA in any of the MILIEU
          books. I was thinking more of a young Aiken Drum popping up (my Milieu clock
          being a bit out of date!). I had just got to the bit where Dorothea is just
          about to land at her Dad's home on the planet Caledonia for the first time
          and her Grandad Kyle MacDonald is talking about the old homestead,
          mentioning (on Page 184 of my copy) some fossil-diggers that are owned by a
          couple of salvage archaeologists named Logan and Majewski. I thought this
          sounded familiar so I picked up my copy of THEMANYCOLOUREDLAND, turning at
          once to the right page, the beginning of chapter 7 (page48), which desribes
          Sister Annamaria Roccaro's first meeting with Claude Majewski and his wife
          Genevieve Logan. Anyone else spotted this (I'm sure someone has)?

          What was wierd is that I turned to the right page immediately, without
          thinking. This has happend a few times before, most noticably with a large
          residential phonebook, where I once found the name of a person I wanted
          instantly in the time it took for me to open the book and put my finger on a
          name. Could this be some sort of latent farsensing ability?

          Anyway aside from all that, I remember an article of an interview with
          JULIANMAY which said that if she was any character in the books, then she's
          be a Polack, Claude Majewski. Obviously she was writing herself into her
          books as a cameo appearance. That said, I'll be looking for those cute
          little references a bit closer from now on.

          Back to my sick-bed
          Jason
        • AbyssAngyl@aol.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 20, 2003
            In a message dated 11/20/03 8:58:16 AM Pacific Standard Time, jason@... writes:
            I've just been reading DIAMONDMASK and had been thinking if there could be
            any reference to other characters in THEPLEIOCENESAGA  in any of the MILIEU
            books. I was thinking more of a young Aiken Drum popping up (my Milieu clock
            being a bit out of date!). I had just got to the bit where Dorothea is just
            about to land at her Dad's home on the planet Caledonia for the first time
            and  her Grandad Kyle MacDonald is talking about the old homestead,
            mentioning (on Page 184 of my copy) some fossil-diggers that are owned by a
            couple of salvage archaeologists named Logan and Majewski.
            You are in for a bunch or rare treaties then! When I read the Milieu books it was deja voodoo all over again. It puts a lot more depth to the rebels characters- and answers a lot of whys... Alex Manion is another person to watch... well, gotta run!

            Franken sumthing
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 22, 2003
              --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, jason collins <jason@c...>
              wrote:
              > Hi everyone,
              > isn't life a bit strange sometimes...
              > I've just been reading DIAMONDMASK and had been thinking if there
              could be
              > any reference to other characters in THEPLEIOCENESAGA in any of the
              MILIEU
              > books. I was thinking more of a young Aiken Drum popping up (my
              Milieu clock
              > being a bit out of date!). I had just got to the bit where Dorothea
              is just
              > about to land at her Dad's home on the planet Caledonia for the
              first time
              > and her Grandad Kyle MacDonald is talking about the old homestead,
              > mentioning (on Page 184 of my copy) some fossil-diggers that are
              owned by a
              > couple of salvage archaeologists named Logan and Majewski. I thought
              this
              > sounded familiar so I picked up my copy of THEMANYCOLOUREDLAND,
              turning at
              > once to the right page, the beginning of chapter 7 (page48), which
              desribes
              > Sister Annamaria Roccaro's first meeting with Claude Majewski and
              his wife
              > Genevieve Logan. Anyone else spotted this (I'm sure someone has)?

              Hi there,

              Yes, Claude Majewski (JM's alter ego) turns up in 'Diamond Mask' -
              apart from the rebels, I think he's the only character from the
              prequel-Milieu books to turn up in the Exiles books.

              > What was wierd is that I turned to the right page immediately, without
              > thinking. This has happend a few times before, most noticably with a
              large
              > residential phonebook, where I once found the name of a person I wanted
              > instantly in the time it took for me to open the book and put my
              finger on a
              > name. Could this be some sort of latent farsensing ability?

              I'm not sure if it is indeed latent farsensing <g> but that sort of
              thing happens to me all the time, which does tend to make life
              interesting. For example, in my last job one of my duties was to send
              leaflets out to members of our company (a chore which would take up
              most of the day, urgh) and the number of envelopes I grabbed to stick
              mailing labels on were nine times out of ten the *right* amount I
              needed. There are days when synchronicities come thick and fast and I
              have come to the conclusion that a) Somehow the universe is aware of
              me and b) It has a weird sense of humour.

              I remember reading an interview with Joe Straczynski, the creator of
              'Babylon 5' who recounted that he found his life often had a high
              level of synchronicities occuring in it, and his conclusion was this
              meant you were 'riding the wave' and you were somehow meant to be
              where you were in your life. The very concept of synchronicity could
              tie in nicely somehow with Teilhard de Chardin's Unified Field theory
              but at the moment I can't think of the words....

              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 23, 2003

                While I've never seen a copy of 'Brede's Tale', it is said to be just an account of how
                Brede and co fled from their galaxy and ended up here. It wasn't a full sized book
                and only had a limited run (and apparently each copy came with a tiny torc).

                High Thoughts
                - Nicolette :-) (who would have loved to get her hands on a tiny torc)

                On 23 Nov 2003 at 23:40, jason collins wrote:

                > Hi, have just discovered this more or less recent mailing (see below), Crikey, I never knew about
                > the BREDE'S TALE book, where can one purchase a copy, is it a full size book and not just a few
                > chapter's???

              • jason collins
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 23, 2003
                  Re: [Julian-May-discuss] Brede's Tale Hi, have just discovered this more or less recent mailing (see below), Crikey, I never knew about the BREDE'S TALE book, where can one purchase a copy, is it a full size book and not just a few chapter's???

                  Also a word for fernandovelarde who writes below that he didn't think much of JACKTHBODILESS or DIAMOND MASK, but that he hadn't read INTERVENTION (Survellaince & Metaconcert), Can I suggest that you read them all again in order, leaving none of them out..., honestly how could you!
                  Best
                  jason
                  I think They only printed some 500 (special edition) and I guess a small bunch
                  of
                  paperbacks.. But never saw them in the stores....

                  Are they really talking about making the books into a Movie...? or is this just
                  wishfull
                  thinking from the list... It would be great though...

                  Much better than Harry Potter or Lord of The Rings.. In my opinion, ja! : )

                  Thanks

                  fjv

                  ___________

                  --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, "Maurice Thomas" <mozzer@m...>

                • jason collins
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 3, 2003
                    Anyone else out there notice the similarities between a recent Hollywood
                    movie and our own TMCL? Some sort of wormhole leading back to medieval
                    France (ok, so it's not quite 6 million years, but being in France is highly
                    suspect?) I guess the general panning of the film scuppers any future plans
                    for a similar, but probably better version of JM's.
                    jason
                  • Niall Perry
                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 3, 2003
                      Unfortunately (or fortunately) we don't get it 'till Feb next year
                      here. by all accounts it's not very good anyway.

                      slonshal
                      Niall

                      PS assumes that Jason is talking about "Timeline"

                    • AbyssAngyl@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 3, 2003
                        In a message dated 12/3/03 1:47:40 PM Pacific Standard Time, jason@... writes:

                        Anyone else out there notice the similarities between a recent Hollywood
                        movie and our own TMCL? Some sort of wormhole leading back to medieval
                        France (ok, so it's not quite 6 million years, but being in France is highly
                        suspect?) I guess the general panning of the film scuppers any future plans
                        for a similar, but probably better version of JM's.

                        Au contraire; 'twas not a wormhole at all- but a reiteration of Doug Adam's (Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy) infinate improbability drive haywired to Mr Wells' Time machine... and the reverse button pressed instead!  <resists the urge to say perverse button>

                        FrankenMorlock
                      • jason collins
                        Message 11 of 14 , Dec 4, 2003
                          Re: [Julian-May-discuss] ripped-off no, I'm talking about TIMELINE with Billy Connelly

                          From: AbyssAngyl@...
                          Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 23:22:19 EST
                          To: Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com
                          Subject: Re: [Julian-May-discuss] ripped-off

                          In a message dated 12/3/03 1:47:40 PM Pacific Standard Time, jason@... writes:

                          Anyone else out there notice the similarities between a recent Hollywood
                          movie and our own TMCL? Some sort of wormhole leading back to medieval
                          France (ok, so it's not quite 6 million years, but being in France is highly
                          suspect?) I guess the general panning of the film scuppers any future plans
                          for a similar, but probably better version of JM's.

                          Au contraire; 'twas not a wormhole at all- but a reiteration of Doug Adam's (Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy) infinate improbability drive haywired to Mr Wells' Time machine... and the reverse button pressed instead!  <resists the urge to say perverse button>

                          FrankenMorlock

                          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor   ADVERTISEMENT

                        • AbyssAngyl@aol.com

                            Message 13 of 14 , Jan 11, 2004
                              I like the way Crichton always feels he has to explain himself.  I imagine if you met him in the pub he'd be very "no, no - it could actually happen", and insist that we could really really clone dinosaurs or travel into the past or rob a bullion train using Donald Sutherland or whatever.

                              In Timeline he goes to great pains to say that there is not time travel per se, but rather the use of a maguffin to get between one dimension (where it is 1999) and another (where it is 1486).  Then he contradicts himself by having some character leave a message in a holy text (which of course would not exist in the original dimension).  He gets so tied up in his faux science, whereas what he should be saying is "look - a magic door", since time travel is of course impossible.

                              I fear it will certainly make it difficult to convince anyone to make TMCL; nonetheless, Intervention would still work.

                              Message 14 of 14 , Jan 11, 2004
                                It is many, many yeas since I last read the TMCL but have encouraged
                                many people to do so over the years, seeing the recent LOTR trilogy
                                on screen allowed me at last to think it may be possible to bring
                                it to a bigger audience.

                                I dissagree, I think Timeline can only help fuel interest in the
                                fantasic.

                                My daughter now 12 will hopefully follow on and now read these books
                                fuelled by recently reading and seeing LOTR.

                                <mozzer@m...> wrote:
                                > I like the way Crichton always feels he has to explain himself. I
                                imagine
                                > if you met him in the pub he'd be very "no, no - it could actually
                                happen",
                                > and insist that we could really really clone dinosaurs or travel
                                into the
                                > past or rob a bullion train using Donald Sutherland or whatever.
                                >
                                > In Timeline he goes to great pains to say that there is not time
                                travel per
                                > se, but rather the use of a maguffin to get between one dimension
                                (where it
                                > is 1999) and another (where it is 1486). Then he contradicts
                                himself by
                                > having some character leave a message in a holy text (which of
                                course would
                                > not exist in the original dimension). He gets so tied up in his
                                faux
                                > science, whereas what he should be saying is "look - a magic
                                door", since
                                > time travel is of course impossible.
                                >
                                > I fear it will certainly make it difficult to convince anyone to
                                make TMCL;
                                > nonetheless, Intervention would still work.

                                Service.