      From: ultan01
      Sent: 10 Apr 2012 16:03:01 GMT
      To: Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [Julian-May-discuss] Re: Exiles and Milieu ebooks?

      Well the copies I would have read in the 80s were probably typeset by hand by the British publisher (remember that desktop computers came along after Milieu was written), so probably had British spellings of things like "colour" - if somebody is setting it anyway, they might as well...

      And no offence, but I can't believe those ghastly US covers ever sold any copies! The blue UK covers from Pan were much cooler.... ;)

      --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Amenta <awabooks@...> wrote:

      > It's sad to think that the "eBook source text" might not have come from the "final" printed editions; as nebulous a term as that now is...
      >
      > I've never looked at any of the printed "British English" editions of these books (no offense, but the cover art, compared to the "original" Michael Whelan covers of the initial softcover editions here in the States, was pretty scary ;-).
      >
      > When they released British editions, did software/proofreaders comb through, and change "color" to "colour," "center" to "centre," "truck" to "lorry," etc? Sounds like a lot of work... :-(
      >
      > Kind of too bad Italian wasn't the language "winner": Only completely phoenetic language (no "to, two & too") with a "pure" Roman alphabet (no accents/symbols).
      >
      > Oo velll... :-)

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic