4103Re: Aiken Redux

  • newbobble
    Apr 28, 2008
      Well my own research turned up the first complete reference, i.e. two
      names instead of one in the ''The Brownie Of Blednoch'' by William
      Nicholson (the Bard of Galway) which was first published in the
      Dumfries Magazine in 1825.

      A good reproduction of which can be found here:

      http://www.bladnoch.co.uk/aikendrumpoem.htm

      Before that the name aikendrum, all one word, as you've noted is called
      out as an exultation in "Will Ye Go to Sheriffmuir" which was written
      in 1715, which has led to some speculation that this was a Jocobite
      song.

      There are cultural references before this time, but sadly none that I
      could find in print but elusions to children's rhymes `known' before
      this time abound.

      As to the derivation of the name, it is interesting to note that a
      Canadian version of this poem, a country well settled by those of a
      Celtic heritage, use the name Akin Drum, or A Kin of Drume, in some of
      their oral traditions, but I regret I'm not that much of a linguist or
      an historian to find any definitive printed citation.

      Perhaps one of Canadian cousins can provide better references - good
      luck.

      Bob

      --- In Julian-May-discuss@yahoogroups.com, "alixnc" <alixnc@...> wrote:

      > OK, I give up. I am stymied. Can anyone find a verifiable primary
      > reference to Aiken Drum prior to the works of Sir Walter Scott (aka
      > Dougal) and his protege James Hogg (aka the Ettrick Shepherd)? Given
      > the highly satiric reference (brief but a zinger of the first water)
      > in 'The Antiquary', and the highly satiric nature of the novel entire,
      > it appears likelier than ever than Aiken Drum is, in fact, a highly
      > puckish outright invention of Scott and Hogg. And BTW, can anyone
      > recommend a first rate annotated edition of the novel and/or Eliot's
      > 'Four Quartets'? Also, for anyone still interested in Teilhard, his
      > "Science and Christ' contains what is recommended as the best concise
      > summary of his theology/science synthesis.
      > Still persisting,
      > alix

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic