Missing Johnston(e)s Clement, Robert and Andrew

  • andyhall53
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 28, 2005
      Hi Everybody,
      My name is Andy Hall and I live in Canada. I am helping a friend of
      mine to find her family. It is a long but interesting story.

      My friend, Janet Johnstone, grew up in England with her family and
      was always told that her paternal grandfather, Clement Johnstone had
      died in the early 20's. Her father, William Johnstone (1918) and his
      brother Leonard (1919) were brought up by their mother and her
      family. All Janet was told that her father was born in London and
      that her Grandfather was born in Scotland. He was in the Black Watch
      during WWI. Also she, janet, said that when the family spoke about
      Clement they always spoke in whispers.

      I did some research for her and obtained his war record which was
      very revealing. Clement had a very, shall we say, eventful time in
      the war and did not seem to suffer authority very well (spent a lot
      of time confined to barracks when he was on on the front), he joined
      the
      machine gunner corps and was in europe (Pachendale), Russia
      (Murmansk) and India (Bombay/Mumbai) until 1922
      when he was honourably discharged. Part of his military record had a
      document where he was asking for his discharge papers as he had lost
      them overboard on the SS Ballerat and his address was in Balmain,
      Sydney.
      This was in 1924. We found his birth certficate and that said that he
      was born to Andrew Johnstone and Elizabeth Armstrong in 1897 in
      Dundee. He had a half sister Elizabeth Jennings (from Elizabeth
      Armstrong's first marriage) and brothers Andrew (1899) and Robert
      (1901)

      Janet was beside herself with excitement. She said that she always
      felt an affintity with her grandfather and father (who was also told
      that his father died. Her father died when Janet was 10.

      After somemore research we found that Clement had not emmigrated from
      Scotland alone but his mother, sister and two brothers went with him.

      Now things were harder to find, but to cut a long story short, the
      only information we found was that Clement remarried to an Ann Millar
      and had a daughter Pauline. Andrew was in WWII in the Australian Army
      with the rank of Sgt. Clement died in the late 1950's.

      Finding this out made Janet very sad as her grandfather was alive
      when she was born and did not even know that she existed and visa
      versa.

      Janet would love to meet up with her lost family in Australia. I
      apolgize for a long post but any help to find her relatives would
      make her and her family so happy. I would appreciate any help!!!!!