Glasgow Johnstons

  • jvalexander
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 19, 2005
      Greetings and best wishes for 2005.

      I am trying to trace ancestors of my great grandmother Jane JOHNSTON
      who was born in Glasgow in September 1839. Jane's parents were
      Andrew JOHNSTON and Margaret (maiden name DONALD), and they were
      married at Barony Parish, Glasgow in January 1821. At the time of
      their marriage Andrew gave his occupation as a Wright in Glasgow. It
      is reported that at the age of 15 or 16, Jane travelled alone to
      Australia to join her brother Andrew. Her brother had his own
      business as a plumber and gasfitter, and he lived at 61 Young Street
      Fitzroy in Melbourne.

      She married William CRAWFORD in 1858 (his second marriage), and spent
      most of her life on a farm near Pyalong about 100 km north of
      Melbourne. William and Jane had 10 children. She died in 1916.

      Her husband William CRAWFORD was born in Edinburghshire (possibly in
      Penicuik) C1816. His parents were Alexander CRAWFORD (a private in
      the Dumfries Shire Militia and later a shoemaker) and Margaret
      THOMPSON, and they married at Penicuik in July 1807.

      Any assistance that you can provide in my search for my JOHNSTON (or
      my CRAWFORD) ancestors would be gratefully appreciated.

      Best wishes,
      Jim Alexander