Re: Johnstons in NZ

  • Angie
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 2, 2012
      Hello William,
      My name is Angela and I live in the United States. I have been researching my family roots for a number of years. I have found links to the Johnston's from Auchencairn and Galloway regions in just the past few months. My GGGG Grandmother was Joan Johnston who married John Burnett. She was a sister to Alexander Laurie who was a wealthy Singapore trading merchant and a founding father of modern day Singapore from 1819-1841 at which time he retired and returned to his native Scotland where he died at Bluehill Farm in 1850 while living with his unmarried sister Jane Johnston. Their parents were James Johnston and Elizabeth Lawrie. It was reported that Alexander Laurie Johnston was born on the Isle of Mann abt. 1783 and his father was a farmer. That is all I know about the Johnston's of Auchencarin, if you can provide any more information I would appreciate it greatly.
      Thank-you,
      Angela Corrie Bartholomew