    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 5, 2011

      Tricia & George;

      Our family line of Johnston’s are from Derrykeighan in Co Antrim [near Dervock] in now Northern Ireland and were very obviously Ulster-Scots, however we’ve not been able to track our James Johnston back in further than the early 1800’s.

      Our y-DNA Haplogroup is R1b1b2a1b5 [Direct Male line]

      And, although not specifically linked to the Johnston surname my direct family mtDNA [female line] Haplogroup is U5b2, coming from a Bridget McInerney out of Co Claire in Ireland and who was sentenced & transported to Hobart in 1850 for 7 years for stealing a cow [most probably just to milk it?]

      Don in Melbourne