A Little Research Reminder...

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 15, 2011

      In trying to research and locate spouses and their families we often forget or don’t take into account the simple things of so many years ago, the statements below are a timely research reminder…

      Don

      The Paddy Casey Rule:

      In my family history research I constantly make use of the 5-mile rule, i.e. that spouses were usually found within a 5-mile radius of the index person's house because that was the distance a suitor could walk of an evening and, after an evenings courting, get back home in time for a hard day's work the next day.

      The Hugh Weir Rule:

      In another version of this rule which applies to the horse-and-carriage set:

      intermarriages usually occurred within a 20-mile radius, the distance a horse and carriage could easily undertake.

    • Margaret Lavelle