Re - Recent Spam Mail

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 29, 2010

      Evening’ All;

      My apologies for the recent spam posting allegedly from Patrick Johnston out of Liverpool in the UK.

      As an explanation;

      For some years now our Group by default has allowed all emails to go through without being moderated, that is I’d always believed that as we’re a niche group there really shouldn’t be any reason for any of us to have our emails or requests or any other matter to be checked-ff, if you like, before it is approved to be sent out to all of us.

      I do moderate a couple of other Groups, one being genealogical and the other a Global industry Group with well over a thousand subscribers, these have now been in existence for well over 10 years and without exception [as they’re moderated] I’ve never ever experienced any of that spam stuff.

      As the originator of the email was a Patrick Johnston out of Liverpool in the UK he probably isn’t even aware that he sent it, sadly he uses a “Hotmail” address and as such has left himself open to all sorts of invasions from all sorts of places, it’s now quite obvious that his email address is infected and has been compromised, I will [after I send this explanation] remove his address from our Group, and if you all don’t mind will, for a period of time revert all emails to being approved before they’re posted to the Group.

      I will add that this action is in no way being a censorship procedure, just a process to ensure for awhile that you do NOT receive any spam via our Group, I understand that this is a first and I’ll ensure it’s the last.

      I hope you all fared well over our Christmas period wherever you may be and that 010 brings exciting results for your research, it also could be a good time to re-list your interests as some new people have come on board, and also to refresh us all of your quests?

      As an aside I recently have undertaken a role of representing the “The Johnson/Johnston/Johnstone DNA Surname Project” as their New Zealand & Australian Librarian which is pretty exciting and a new growth area of assisting our research, Keith Johnson in New Zealand was previously working with this important task and as it’s a pretty new project felt for some strong reasons to give someone else the opportunity, I’d lime to thank Keith for that opportunity as it simply enhances growth in this Group too, I’ll send you all more in-depth information about the DNA  and OUR global Surname Project later. [Before I do that however, if any of you have travelled this road I’d love to hear from you to enable your details to be inserted….]

      Best Wishes

      Don Johnston in Melbourne AU, and my worthy Cousin in Adelaide, South Australia.

    • Basil Johnston
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 29, 2010
        Hello there,
        I'm have found your emails very interesting but what I would like to know is why have the Johnstons of Islay not been included in the interest of the Johnstons of Scotland it'self. Angus Johnston who immigrated to Australia round about 1835 with his family, became well known in the building of the tramways and a bridge. One of the family members became a mayor. I'm sure there is more information out there from this little band of Johnstons from Islay.

        Many thanks for your ear.

        Basil Johnston
        South Africa.

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 29, 2010

          Dear Johnston members

          I have recently received a comprehensive family tree tracing the Johnston descendants in Australia commencing with George and Esther

          Do not have it electronically unfortunately but happy to provide specific  info if needed

          Regards

          Phil Johnston | Managing Director

          Johnstaff Projects Pty Ltd
          Level 8, 21 Victoria St , Melbourne 3000
          D 03 8662 3911 | M 0417 574 046
          T 03 9663 4044 | F 03 9639 4118
          phil@...

          Interstate offices:

          NSW | Level 1, 151 Macquarie St , Sydney NSW 2000 | T 02 8084 6337 | F 02 9775 1999

          QLD | Suite 2 , 3972 Pacific Hwy , Loganholme QLD 4129 | T 07 3387 0166 | F 07 3387 0101

          P Please consider the  environment before printing this e-mail

          For further information visit our website www.johnstaff.com.au

          Notice – This email, including all attachments, is privileged and confidential.  If you are not the intended recipient, you must not disclose, distribute, copy or use the information contained in this email or attachments.  Any confidentiality or privilege is not waived or lost because this email has been sent to you in error.  If you have received this email in error, please immediately delete it from your system and destroy any copies and attachments and notify the sender by telephone on +61396634044 or by reply email to the sender.  Any personal or sensitive information contained inn this email and attachments must be handled in accordance with the Victorian Information Privacy Act 2000 (Vic), the Health Records Act 2001 (Vic) or the Privacy Act 1998 (Cth), as applicable.  Opinions, conclusions and other information in this email and any attachments that do not relate to the official business of the company are neither given nor endorsed by it.  Any documentation produced using this data is uncontrolled and not subject to update.  The recipient is responsible for reviewing the status of the transferred information and should advise us immediately upon receipt of any discrepancy.  Any content is applicable to the intended project only.  Subject to contract, we retain copyright of all transmitted material and it must not be reproduced wholly or in part, or supplied to any third party without our written permission.  The sender makes no warranty regarding the accuracy or completeness of the data transmittal or to the presence of computer viruses or data errors.

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 30, 2010

            G’day Phil, that’s a very kind offer and one I do hope others in the Group take advantage of, sadly those namesakes aren’t in our Tree and I wait in vain and hope that one day, somewhere and at sometime someone like yourself will contact myself or my cousin Gillian with the same generous offer [I wish…. J].

            Welcome Basil and thanks too for your query, I hope at the least if no-one’s responded direct already that someone soon will, don’t despair no response as many in the Group might not access their emails as rapidly as we presume.