AUSTRALIA DAY - January 26 2010

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 24, 2010

      Australian FlagHappy Australia Day ALL - January 26 2010

      Celebrating Australia: A History of Australia Day

      The tradition of having Australia Day as a national holiday on 26 January is a recent one. Not until 1935 did all the Australian states and territories use that name to mark that date. Not until 1994 did they begin to celebrate Australia Day consistently as a public holiday on that date. What drew Australians together in this way? Did Australia Day become a day for all Australians to enjoy?

      ·         Beginnings

      ·         1838: The Jubilee

      ·         1888: The Centenary

      ·         1901: Federation

      ·         1938: The Sesquicentenary and The Day of Mourning

      ·         1988: The Bicentenary

      ·         Australia Day, 26 January: A day for all Australians?

      http://www.australiaday.org.au/experience/

      Australia Day History

      The quest for the celebration of a united Australian Day and the parallel search for an 'Australian identity' and sense of spirit commenced within a few short years of the First Fleet landing of 1788 and subsequent white settlement on this island continent.

      http://www.australiaday.com.au/

      Our National Anthem

      Listen To:  Our Australian National Anthem[Control Click to Download] or go direct to URL at:

       02 Track 2.mp3 (1.74 Mb)

      http://www.australiaday.com.au/uploads/page/11/02%20Track%202.mp3

      Words

      Australians all let us rejoice, for we are young and free, we've golden soil and wealth for toil; our home is girt by sea;

      Our land abounds in nature's gifts of beauty rich and rare, in history's page, let every stage advance Australia Fair.

      In joyful strains then let us sing, advance Australia Fair.

      Beneath our radiant Southern Cross we'll toil with hearts and hands;

      To make this Commonwealth of ours renowned of all the lands;

      For those who've come across the seas we've boundless plains to share:

      With courage let us all combine To advance Australia Fair.

      In joyful strains then let us sing, advance Australia Fair.

      Make up of our Australian Flag

      Australian Resources - Irish Convicts Etc’

      Indexes and records of convicts are available in a variety of formats including microfiche, microfilm, book and CD. Some indexes and guides are available on the internet and generally provide information for further research in convict recordsl in State Archives and libraries.

      ·         Convict transportation registers 1787-1867

      ·         Convict records at State Records NSW

      ·         Convicts to Australia: a guide to researching your convict ancestors

      ·         First Fleet online

      ·         Ireland-Australia transportation records, 1791-1853

      ·         Irish convicts to NSW 1791-1836

      ·         Ships of the First Fleet

      ·         South Australian transported convicts 1837-1851

      ·         Swan River convicts 1850-1868

      ·         PRO Victoria - Convict records

      ·         Index to Tasmanian Convicts - index and digitised records

      ·         Index to convict applications for permission to marry 1829-1857 - Tasmania

      ·         Cascades Female Factory (Tasmania) Historic Site

      ·         Proceedings of the Old Bailey 1674-1834 - records of trials held in the Old Bailey

      ·         Claim a convict

      http://www.nla.gov.au/oz/genelist.html