Johnstons in NZ

  • willietmj48@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 4, 2009
    I live in Auchencairn, Kirkcudbrightshire, Scotland, which with Dundrennan once formed the ancient parish of Rerrick. Great grandfather William Johnston was born in Dundrennan Abbey May 16, 1843.
    He had 3 brothers: Joseph b c1846; James b 1850 and David b 1854; and a sister Janet b c1847.

    GGF William Johnston married Janet Bell (b. C1879) on Dec 12, 1871 in Dumfries. They had 8 children: David b c1873, Thomas H b c1874, William b Sep 1, 1875, George b c1878, Janet b c1879, Jane Findlay b c1882, Joseph Martin b c1884 d Sep 18, 1905 and James b 1886.
    GF William Johnston married Mary Agnes Murray (b Jan 4, 1885 in Newcastle upon Tyne, England) in Pringleton, Penpont, Dumfriesshire, on Dec 6, 1907.
    My father, also William Johnston, born May 18, 1908 in Dumfries, never did mention that he had all these uncles and aunts. His only other sibling was his sister Elizabeth Gall Johnston b Mar 31, 1911 and d Jul 31, 1979.

    I have attached 4 B&W photographs, probably descendants of Johnston’s from Dumfries, Scotland.
    My cousin, Ross Chalder, found them in a suitcase of mementoes not opened since the death of his mother, Elizabeth Gall Chalder nee Johnston in 1979.

    1 The female wearing the ball gown has the following written on the back:
       Janet taken at Napier Hospital Ball July 8th 1960

    2 The group shot of around 16 children reads:
       All the Johnston grandchildren born at that time;
       Janet, our daughter, has 2 hair ribbons and is now 17 years - sent by Eleanor.

    3 Portrait of elderly couple - he is a spitting image of GF William Johnston!

    4 The family group - mum, dad, Tony, Ian and Janet:
       printed by a company in New Plymouth, NZ

    George Henry Murray is one of the brothers of grandmother Mary Agnes  Johnston. He was born in 1881 in Northumberland, England. He was a Gamedealer in Thornhill, Dumfriesshire prior to his emigration to Quebec in Canada on the SS Cassandra on Aug 3, 1923.

    Family tales suggest that George Murray and two of his siblings emigrated to New Zealand.
     It may be that he went via Canada and that the siblings were Johnstons!
     An old address book dated around 1964 shows that a George Murray was living at 17 Bonithon Avenue, New Plymouth, Taranaki, New Zealand.

    I am new to searching for family, having only been researching since April this year.
    I hope that your contacts in the Johnston NZ Group will enable me to find out who left Dumfries, why, when and how and to make contact with their descendants.

    I will be happy to assist in any way I can with any inquiries I can assist with here in Dumfries and Galloway.

    William Johnston, 2 Church Place, Auchencairn, Castle Douglas, DG7 1RR,
    Dumfries and Galloway, Scotland.

  • Les Hewett
    Message 2 of 4 , Sep 5, 2009
      Re:Johnstons in NZ

      I live in Napier and am following up on Janet (at least) for William. Please include me in the loop if any additional info. found on these NZ families. Thanks. Les Hewett, Chief Commissioner/Genealogy Officer, CJANZ, Napier.

    • ian miller
      Message 3 of 4 , Sep 17, 2009
        Descendants of George JOHNSTON

            1      George JOHNSTON    b: Abt 1811 in Fraserburgh, Aberdeenshire, Scotland        d: 28 June 1892 in Christchurch, New Zealand    Fact 3: Master Shoemaker
        ..        +Anne GORDON    b: 1815 in Ellon; Udny, or King Edward, Aberdeenshire, Scotland    m: 07 June 1834 in Longside Church of Scotland, Aberdeenshire, Scotland    d: 05 February 1865 in Strichen, Aberdeenshire, Bridge Street

        .    2      Robert Bruce JOHNSTON    b: 13 November 1836 in Knapps of Auchlee, Longside, Aberdeenshire.        d: 04 February 1888 in Edinburgh    Fact 3: Writer to the Signet Edinburgh?

        .    2      Agnes Gray JOHNSTON    b: 06 May 1838 in Peterhead, Aberdeenshire, Scotland        d: Bef 1861

        .    2      George JOHNSTONE    b: 04 September 1840 in Peterhead, Aberdeenshire, Scotland        d: 29 November 1882 in Methven, New Zealand    Fact 3: Master Blacksmith, Methven
        .....        +Janet Cameron SCOTT    b: 06 March 1843 in Redgorton, Perthshire, Scotland    m: 07 December 1866 in St Andrew's Presbyterian Church, Christchurch    d: 08 June 1902 in Christchurch    Fact 3: Domestic Servant

        .    2      William JOHNSTON    b: Abt 1843 in Strichen, Aberdeenshire, Scotland        d: 01 November 1904 in Christchurch,  New Zealand    Fact 3: Tailor & Clothier, Leeston & Christchurch, J.P.
        .....        +Ann Reid SCOTT    b: 3 Dec 1847 Perth Scotland        d: 17 March 1890 in Leeston, New Zealand
        living with parents James SCOTT (24 Jan 1802 -2 Jul 1891) cattle dealer, and Anne REID (29 Apr 1806-1 Sep 1888) in Doyleston NZ at time of marriage. in 1868 in NZ.

        .    2      Unknown JOHNSTON    b: 1843        d: Aft 1892
        .    2      Unknown JOHNSTON    b: 1845        d: Aft 1892
        .    2      Batthia JOHNSTON    b: 1847 in Strichen, Aberdeenshire
        .    2      John JOHNSTON    b: 1849 in Strichen, Aberdeenshire, Scotland        d: in Strichen, Aberdeenshire
        .    2      Unknown JOHNSTON    b: 1851 in Lonmay, Aberdeenshire        d: Aft 1892
        .    2      Unknown JOHNSTON    b: 1851 in Lonmay, Aberdeenshire
        .    2      Charles JOHNSTON    b: 13 December 1855 in Strichen, Aberdeenshire, Scotland        d: Aft 1892    Fact 3: Tailor, Aberdeen
        .    2      Unknown JOHNSTON    b: 1857        d: Aft 1892

        Get more done like never before with Yahoo!7 Mail. Learn more.
      • Angie
        Message 4 of 4 , Mar 2 2:45 PM
          Hello William,
          My name is Angela and I live in the United States. I have been researching my family roots for a number of years. I have found links to the Johnston's from Auchencairn and Galloway regions in just the past few months. My GGGG Grandmother was Joan Johnston who married John Burnett. She was a sister to Alexander Laurie who was a wealthy Singapore trading merchant and a founding father of modern day Singapore from 1819-1841 at which time he retired and returned to his native Scotland where he died at Bluehill Farm in 1850 while living with his unmarried sister Jane Johnston. Their parents were James Johnston and Elizabeth Lawrie. It was reported that Alexander Laurie Johnston was born on the Isle of Mann abt. 1783 and his father was a farmer. That is all I know about the Johnston's of Auchencarin, if you can provide any more information I would appreciate it greatly.
          Thank-you,
          Angela Corrie Bartholomew