My Johnson Ancestors

  • Paul Johnson
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 14, 2004
      Hello Everyone, I guess its about time I let everybody know about my
      Johnson's or Johnston's.

      My Johnson's come from the Orange area here in New South Wales and my
      great grandfather and his sons were heavily involved in the horse
      racing industry in the early 1920's. My great grandfather was the
      owner/trainer and three of his sons (incl one stepson) were the
      jockeys. I am still collecting more information from the old
      newspapers and its an ongoing task.

      My great grandfather's name was William Henry Johnson (actually Henry
      Wlliam on his birth certificate but everybody called him Harry) and
      the really good horse he had was called Les Paddington who he sold
      and the horse went on to be only the second horse ever to win both
      the Australian Hurdle and Australian Steeple (held in Victoria) in
      the same year.

      I have gone back to a copy of a wedding register from 1874 where my
      great great grandfather (Richard Johnston) got married in a Catholic
      church in Orange. He was married the same day as his sister and the
      register states that his father was Edward Johnson and mother Mary
      Dunn (or Dunne) but I cannot find any record of his parents ever
      getting married.

      So right now I am back to my great great great grandfather who was
      Edward Johnson.

      A news paper ocituary stated that Richard was one of the early
      teamsters in the Orange area.

      If anybody wants to look at my family tree, go to the following site:

      http://www.tribalpages.com

      Put in restivo47 and when asked answer Edward as the oldest Johnson.

      Regards
      Paul