Johnston/ Bessell - Ireland to Tasmania

  • theresa.renault
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 29, 2008
      I would appreciate any help anyone can provide me with the following
      families

      CHARLES JOHNSTON was born 1808 in Ireland, and died 1868 (don't know
      where). He married FRANCES BRICEN/BRYSON Abt. 1829 in Belfast,
      Ireland, daughter of WILLIAM BRICEN and JANE ANDERSON. She was born
      1808 in Belfast, Ireland, and died 13 Jun 1891 in Palmerston, Otago.

      Charles and Frances turned up in Tasmania sometime before 1859.

      Children of CHARLES JOHNSTON and FRANCES BRICEN/BRYSON are:
      JANE JOHNSTON, b. 1834, Belfast, Ireland.
      m. William Curry and stayed in Ireland

      JOHN JOHNSTON, b. 1838, Belfast, Ireland; d. 09 Nov 1898, Palmerston,
      Otago. m. Sarah Madams in NZ

      ROBERT BRYSON JOHNSTON, b. 1839; d. 01 Feb 1913, Christchurch.

      CHARLES JOHNSTON, b. 1843.

      ANNIE JOHNSTON, b. 1846; d. 07 May 1888, Palmerston, Otago.
      m. John Hailstone(s) in Palmerston, Otago

      ELIZABETH SARAH JOHNSTON, b. 1853.
      m. Lawrence Clements in Tasmania - moved to Palmerston, Otago

      FRANCES JOHNSTON, b. 1855.

      TIMOTHY JOHNSTON, b. 1859, Tasmania, Australia.

      Also Anne and Jane Johnston - sisters who both married Charles Bessell
      in Tasmania.

      Anne and Charles (both convicts) had
      John George b 1844
      Elizabeth b 1848
      Sarah Anne b 1852
      Kate Ann b 1854
      William b 1855

      Anne died in 1858 and Charles married her sister Jane

      Jane and Charles had
      Joseph b 1859
      Frances Alice b 1861
      Robert b 1864
      Annie Flora b 1867
      Emily Jane b 1869
      Charles Arthur b 1873

      There is some connection between the Johnston who married Charles
      Bessell and Charles and Frances Johnston's family as Annie Flora
      Bessell ended up in Palmerston, Otago and is buried in the Johnston
      family plot there with Frances, John, his wife Sarah and Robert. I'm
      still trying to confirm what this connection is.

      If anyone has any information about any of these people I would love
      to hear from you.

      Theresa in Dunedin, NZ